Thread: BMW E21 318 Solex DIDTA replacement with Weber 32 36 DGV ?

My Cars
    1978 BMW E21 318

BMW E21 318 Solex DIDTA replacement with Weber 32 36 DGV ?

Hi,

Having big doubts about my Solex 32 DIDTA carb, I would like to replace it with a new Weber, for my 1978 BMW E21 318.

As far as I found here and there, it seems the Weber 32 36 DGV (originaly for Opel record/manta 1.9L) seems to be a good replacement option, more or less plug and play.

Could you please confirm, with your experience/knowledge, that this carb get the correct setup (jets given here below) ?

Weber 32 36 DGV Standard jetting :-

• 26mm Primary venturi (fixed)
    • 27mm Secondary venturi (fixed)
    • 150 Primary main jet
    • 135 Secondary main jet
    • F6 Primary emulsion tube
    • F6 Secondary emulsion tube
    • 160 Primary air corrector jet
    • 185 Secondary air corrector jet
    • 40 Pump exhaust valve
    • 45 Primary idle jet
    • 50 Secondary idle jet
    • 450 Pump jet
    • 2.00 Needle valve

Thanks !
    Last edited by gladie; 02-27-2023 at 10:14 AM.

My Cars
    320i
    I'd bolt the carb on, get it tuned before worrying too much about changing factory settings.

I put a 38/38 on my car (cam/header) and read a lot on 2002FAQ how guys were changing emulsion tubes and this that and the other to get the car to run right with that particular parts combination.

Bottom line, by meticulously following tuning procedures, my car runs great with essentially factory jetting.

It seemed to lay over above 5500, so I upped the mains.

The car pulls really hard in the upper rpm range that way, but still a little too rich, I think.

So, as I search for perfection, I may go smaller air correctors on the factory main size (which, I think were 135s), but to really get what I want, I need to get an O2 sensor.

Anyway, all of which to say, bolt it on, get it tuned, and see how it runs.

It won't take much to really dial it in from its "as delivered" state.

My Cars
    1978 BMW E21 318
    Thanks for the reply :-)
    So it is a pretty positive answer !
    My concern is, that I don't have much people able to tune it, so I'm very much expecting the factory settings to be the final settings... So that way, would it fit nicely the 318 ? You seem to answer yes...

My Cars
    320i
    YOU will need to do a little bit of initial tuning when you bolt it on, but is not hard at all.

If there are no instructions in the box, just look online.

These are a couple links I've used, BUT (see notes following links):

https://www.racetep.com/weberadj.html

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tec...lean_best_.htm

BUT... I've found the car tunes a little better by having the initial idle screw setting at about 1/2 a turn while adjusting the mixture screws.

The settings in those instructions will get the car running, though.

There are surely gearheads (or, as the Brits say, "petrol heads") in France who've posted a youtube on set up, or described it in a forum somewhere.

It might be for a different car, but same procedure.

Finally, the 2002FAQ website is a good source for our cars and carb tuning, because all those cars (well, not Tii) came with carbs. If there's a French equivalent website, it'll be in your native tongue - might be a little easier?

Keep us posted!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gladie View Post
    Thanks for the reply :-)
    So it is a pretty positive answer !
    My concern is, that I don't have much people able to tune it, so I'm very much expecting the factory settings to be the final settings... So that way, would it fit nicely the 318 ? You seem to answer yes...
    And...

Yes. I'd be very surprised if it didn't do real well right out of the box.

My Cars
    1978 BMW E21 318
    Thanks a lot !!
    Very appreciated and helpfull :-)

Have a good day

My Cars
    76 2002, 82 e21, 83 e21
    I put a Weber 32/36 right out of the box on my e21 318 and it changed that car.

I sold it to a friend later and I saw him driving and I tried to catch up with him, I guess he thought I was an angry driver and that car took off and I had to really hustle to datch up to him.

I was sad I sold it. He did more tune to the carb lafter I sold it to him and he really dialed it in.

Please let us know how your carb change works out?

My Cars
    1978 BMW E21 318
    Hi, thanks for the feedback !

Did you install the Weber 32/36 for the 1.6L Opel or the one for the 1.9L Opel ?
    Do you recall the jets that you used in it ? Or at least if you have made any changes from the stock carb's settings (jets change...) ?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I have a question about the way my Solex DIDTA works: when I remove the air filter to look inside the carburator, I can't see the second throttle body opening, even under pretty hard acceleration, is that normal ?? The car does want to stall/struggle under harder acceleration and I wonder if the fact the second body doesn't open is the reason ? And hat could cause this ?

Thanks and regards
    Last edited by gladie; 03-12-2023 at 07:52 AM.

My Cars
    320i
    Carburetors are generally pretty simple, though fine tuning them can seem like more art than science.

Find online a tuning and trouble shooting source, preferably factory, or factory vendor.

Follow instructions exactly!

Generally a 2 pot carb should have both butterflies open at once, but I know for sure that MANY 4 pot carbs can have mechanical OR vacuum secondaries (so, first two barrels open with the throttle shaft, and manifold vacuum opens the second two).

I don't know that carb and haven't googled, but IF for some reason your 2nd barrel IS vacuum operated, then follow trouble shooting procedures to diagnose and fix.

Let us know what you find.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530d + others
    The weber 32/34 DMTL was offered as a bolt on kit for the 1.8 M10. I know as I have one on my car. The kit came with a baseplate adapter to bolt up to the isolator for the original carb, and provide a mounting point for the throttle return spring, a choke cable, and a top adapter mount to the original air cleaner.

The same carb was offered in kits for many other cars of the 70's and 80's, like mk1 and 2 golfs and similar. It's a good carb and offers a slight improvement in performance and economy over the originl, and the sometimes problematic auto choke is ditched.

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/we...ox_BC41031.htm