Thread: DISA valve electronic whine

My Cars
    2005 325i

DISA valve electronic whine

A while I ago I got the two-bank lean codes in my 2005 325i. Inspecting the intake I did not see a leak in the intake boots. Since the DISA was original (18 yrs and 150k miles) I bit the bullet and ordered a new one (it was from Rein Automotive, not the cheaper ones from Febi or Uro). I replaced that and it cured the codes. All good. Now about 3 months later I am getting a loud whining sound from near the DISA valve -- happens at idle, not sure about higher RPMs while I am driving as other sounds drown it out. The pitch is similar to the noise you hear if you turn the car off and leave the lights on; loud enough to hear with hood closed and window open or standing next to car. No codes. Noise seems to be coming directly from the DISA valve itself and unplugging the electrical connector makes the noise stop. The device is firmly mounted and of course it had a new gasket so I don't think its leaking air. Has anyone encountered this before? All threads I can find on this sort of noise blame the intake boots. Since it unplugging the electrical plug quiets it, I am guessing something might be stuck inside and the electronic valve actuator is whining as it pushes to make the valve turn? I am hesitant to throw another ~$200 bucks at this to get another one and not sure of any warranty. Ideas, anyone?
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yeah, that a lot of money. I’d contact the vendor to get its idea on what could be wrong. How long ago did you buy the DISA? Maybe the vendor will send you a new DISA for a reduced price. Many of us buy parts from FCPEuro because it offers a lifetime warranty on most things it sells.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
    Yeah, that a lot of money. I’d contact the vendor to get its idea on what could be wrong. How long ago did you buy the DISA? Maybe the vendor will send you a new DISA for a reduced price. Many of us buy parts from FCPEuro because it offers a lifetime warranty on most things it sells.
    Bought from RM European 3 months ago, about a week before it was installed. I've used them for more than a decade, from back when they were shipping from one state away (now, like many e-tailers, they are using 3rd party fulfillment). I guess you really find out how good a parts source is when you have an issue like this. Dropped them a query via their "contact us".

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by kbok View Post
    Bought from RM European 3 months ago, about a week before it was installed. I've used them for more than a decade, from back when they were shipping from one state away (now, like many e-tailers, they are using 3rd party fulfillment). I guess you really find out how good a parts source is when you have an issue like this. Dropped them a query via their "contact us".
    I've now learned RM European has a 2-year parts warranty. So I plan to follow their warranty procedure to get a replacement. When all the steps are complete I'll report back how it went.
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Good plan.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Good news, got an OEM DISA valve from Pelican Parts. Replaced DISA unit and my 2005 325i is now idling quietly.
    Bad news, RM European did not have any OEM DISA valves, so I could not order from them and thus they are refusing to honor their 2-year warranty that requires I order a replacement from them. Based on reviews I found on other retailers' sites this whistling failure seems to be a common problem on Rein DISA valves, so I didn't want to get a replacement Rein unit. Done doing business with RM European. So I sent the broken unit to CRP Automotive in NJ, parent of the Rein brand -- their catalog also shows a 2-year warranty on this part. I let y'all know the result of that claim.
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Update, for the record. A representative for CRP Automotive, parent company of Rein, actually called me when they received my returned part. They said they only have a small percent of these returned so he didn't feel they had a quality issue with the BMW DISA valve (not sure I agree), but he would refund the full purchase price and send my unit to the engineers to do a post-mortem. In my cover letter I had asked for "at least a refund of the wholesale price" since I know they didn't get my money for the full price. He said "you may be surprised by the difference" -- not really, I'm sure its pretty large on some of these parts. Anyway, I close by endorsing Rein for fully standing by their 2-year warranty when RM European did not.
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß

My Cars
    2003 325i
    Interesting feedback. I'd love to see what actually happens to that part -- "send to the engineers to do a post-mortem", yeah, the engineers are trash men and the post-mortem is a thorough inspection of the internals by a compactor.

My Cars
    2005 325i
    Well you may be right about the disposition of the returned part, they didn't promise nor did I ask for an autopsy report. To close this saga, OEM DISA is still operating fine and a check for the full retail price I paid for the Rein part arrived from their parent, CRP Automotive. Bravo to CRP Automotive customer service!
    Fahrer von Alpinweiß