Thread: NcS Expert Help Coapi 2000-- IFH 0003 Codes

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan

NcS Expert Help Coapi 2000-- IFH 0003 Codes

I have completed by auto to manual swap on my 2000 528i E39 and looking for help with ncs expert. INPA has two black dots but can't access the modules due to no communication.

I have downloaded mike easy bmw tools with no luck. I have deleted that

Found another install site on E36 Fanatics and followed step by step and have ncs expert inpa wink and tools 32.

I'm getting a Vin is Faulty Coapi 2000 error code

Also getting a ifh -0003 data transmission host interface failed code

I have purchased most up to date e39 daten files. Returned and swap a cable and can't seem to figure out where to start to even code this thing much less communicate with it. I also have the adapter to connect to the round port under hood.

My question is the switch in the cable supposed to be on the k line or dcan line?

Is the car supposed to be on turn to run to code?

Looking a for any tips. I been on numerous forums have searched by code and can't track down my issue. I'm sure someone else has had this issue.

I'm also running windows 10 64 bit.Screenshot_20230211-164001_Google.jpg20230211_164318.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    The "ifh-003..." errors you are getting are communication errors : INPA and associated software tools cannot communicate with the modules in the car. It is usually a software configuration or a hardware or bad cable error.

For software: make sure you have the COM ports configured right.

BTW where did you get the software from ? If you download and install the free software "Mike's easy BMW Tools" (https://mega.nz/file/kAASwa7I#AJLVnn...2BsZofE-TBYGmk), you will have everything configured and set up right for your car (2000 E39), including the daten files.
    Note that you MUST install Mike's tools on a clean Windows PC : So, remove and delete any and all versions of INPA that you may have, reboot the PC, then install. You may want also to turn off any anti-virus on the PC when running INPA. When you run it, you first connect the cable to the car, turn key to position 2 (no need to start the engine, but you can if you are looking for live diagnostic data), then start INPA on the PC.

For the inpa cable, make sure the switch is turned on the K-line. It is a switch, so it has only 2 or 3 positions possible. Try each one. Make sure you exit INPA / NCSExpert, then flip the switch and restart INPA/NCS.
    And forget that round adapter. Use the trapezoid cable connector under the dashboard inside the car.
    Last edited by Chedley; 02-11-2023 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Chedley View Post
    The "ifh-003..." errors you are getting are communication errors : INPA and associated software tools cannot communicate with the modules in the car. It is usually a software configuration or a hardware or bad cable error.

For software: make sure you have the COM ports configured right.

BTW where did you get the software from ? If you download and install the free software "Mike's easy BMW Tools" (https://mega.nz/file/kAASwa7I#AJLVnn...2BsZofE-TBYGmk), you will have everything configured and set up right for your car (2000 E39), including the daten files.
    Note that you MUST install Mike's tools on a clean Windows PC : So, remove and delete any and all versions of INPA that you may have, reboot the PC, then install. You may want also to turn off any anti-virus on the PC when running INPA. When you run it, you first connect the cable to the car, turn key to position 2 (no need to start the engine, but you can if you are looking for live diagnostic data), then start INPA on the PC.

For the inpa cable, make sure the switch is turned on the K-line. It is a switch, so it has only 2 or 3 positions possible. Try each one. Make sure you exit INPA / NCSExpert, then flip the switch and restart INPA/NCS.
    And forget that round adapter. Use the trapezoid cable connector under the dashboard inside the car.
    Thank you. I will try what you suggested. The PC I had was clean and no other versions were installed. I will say I had to try and re-download ncs expert multiple times on another laptop with no luck there.

I was told that for the 2000 E39 or older BMWs in general the round port was to be used becuase not all modulesare on the same line.im not 100% sure and this is definitely new to me. I previously tried thru the obd port under the dash but will try again. I think I had a bad cable at that time and have since gotten another one.

I downloaded the software from and followed these steps.

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...tools.1274003/

I have my com port set to 1, latency timer to 1.

I will give mikes easy bmw a try and see what happens from there.

I saw that the daten files were from 2016 and thought and saw some from 2021 and thought that may have been the issue.

I will report back.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Drewboy, you are correct. If you have the round port under the hood that it the one to use. The OBD port under the dash will not connect to all the modules UNLESS you jumper a few pins together in the round port under the hood.
    IIRC in Sept 2000 (2001 model year) the under the hood port was discontinued. Then you could access all the modules from the in car OBD port.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Also, for our older pre-2003 cars, the Daten files did not change. So you really don’t need to update them.

My Cars
    2000 528i Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Drewboy, you are correct. If you have the round port under the hood that it the one to use. The OBD port under the dash will not connect to all the modules UNLESS you jumper a few pins together in the round port under the hood.
    IIRC in Sept 2000 (2001 model year) the under the hood port was discontinued. Then you could access all the modules from the in car OBD port.
    Thank you Jim.

I'm also going to call a few shops locally to see if they can assist if I can't get the car connect.

What should I expect to pay a shop or person to code the car. I was think $50-75 should be sufficient as the process seems quick.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Have you looked at changing com ports yet?

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    The download files on the link Jim posted with the instructions. This says for an E46. Are the files or install procedures different for a 2003 E39?
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    After you download and install INPA you will have many choices to pick out various BMW models, including the E39.