Thread: Plug & Play Engine Option for BMW E39

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39

Talking Plug & Play Engine Option for BMW E39

Hi everyone, a year ago, I purchased a 2001 BMW E39 525i with an M54 engine. My goal was simple, at the end of the rebuild / restoration process, I would want to have a BMW E39 530i (Automatic).

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I left my project car at a workshop for quite some time and only recently, after tearing things down, I've noticed that this particular car that I own has been in a bad accident previously. (This is totally my fault for not being thorough during the purchase). Anyways, nothing can be done now, screw it.

Onto Plan B!

The goal stays the same, I still want a M54B30 engine but I've gotta find a new car. The M54B30 chop shop engine that I bought comes with the entire front part of the car (front bumper, dashboard, steering, wirings and of course, engine and gearbox and all the other bits).

My question, is it ok for me to get a car that is as cheap as possible with existing engines such as M52 (523i & 528i) and then swap over the M54? Will this be a plug and play kind of retrofit or will there be some chassis mount relocation? What about single / double vanos?

Is it easier for me to get a car that already comes with an M54 engine so that the upgrade to M54B30 will be simpler? Or this upgrade wouldn't make any difference even if i've got a car that came originally with M52?

Thanks in advance for helping a brother out.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Buying an M54 car..preferably a 525i is the (much) better/easier option.

you can drop a B30 into a 525i and it will start and run (and may run fine) on the B25 tune. You can then flash the B30 tune pretty easily.

You CAN swap an B30 into a M52TU car, but its a hassle to get it coded and wired correctly due to the differences in throttle arrangement - drive by wire (M54) vs drive by cable (M52TU)

I would not not put an M54 in an M52tu car unless the M52tu failed and I would do it then only if I could not find another M52TU.

to be honest an M54B30 with an auto trans is not going to run circles around a B25...particularly if the B25 is a 5-speed.

My Cars
    z3
    M52TU to M54 is an extremely easy swap. There are ways to do it that require virtually no custom work except reflashing a tune for displacement.

M54 to M54 is of course easier but if 2.5 to 3.0 it will still require coding/flashing a tune...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    M52TU to M54 is an extremely easy swap. There are ways to do it that require virtually no custom work except reflashing a tune for displacement.
    I presume this means use the M54 as a long block, and use the TU intake, injectors, and throttle body?
    That does not leave the OP with an M54B30 which is his stated goal.

A pure M52tu to M54 swap with correct throttle change is certainly doable and has been done and documented. But I wouldn't call it extremely easy.

My Cars
    z3
    It's as easy as a "non original" engine swap gets. It's still an M54B30 even if it's draped under M52TU 2.8 bits. It's also not difficult to run 6 wires for the electronic pedal, change the fuel supply to M54 and plug the M52TU harness into an ms43...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    M54 3.0L in a 1997 528i with M52 ?
    Actually , I think I would rather have an S52 , but good luck finding it for a decent price ...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-08-2023 at 10:32 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    M54 3.0L in a 1997 528i with M52 ?
    I did this when I M54B30 swapped an E36. Wasn't difficult per se, but a LOT harder than M54 swapping an M52TU car. At the end of the day the M52TU and M54 are virtually identical, they can even run on eachother's engine management systems (when accounting for the pedal/TB differences). M52 non-TU is a whole different animal. Single VANOS vs double VANOS, no DISA, different chassis to DME connections, different fuel pump control methods. Lots of little things need to be changed/accounted for

With that being said you can actually run an M54 on the MS41 which makes the swap a lot easier, but it requires a fair amount of trickery to make happy and you'll lose the exhaust VANOS and DISA.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I did this when I M54B30 swapped an E36. Wasn't difficult per se, but a LOT harder than M54 swapping an M52TU car. At the end of the day the M52TU and M54 are virtually identical, they can even run on each other's engine management systems (when accounting for the pedal/TB differences). M52 non-TU is a whole different animal. Single VANOS vs double VANOS, no DISA, different chassis to DME connections, different fuel pump control methods. Lots of little things need to be changed/accounted for

With that being said you can actually run an M54 on the MS41 which makes the swap a lot easier, but it requires a fair amount of trickery to make happy and you'll lose the exhaust VANOS and DISA.
    I like that the M52 is less prone to oil usage imo , and less gadgets ... lol ... Disa , etc. ...

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39
    Guys, thank you so much for your inputs. From where I'm from (Malaysia), when we buy a chop shop car, everything comes in it but only the front end. My only concern was for it to plug and play in my chassis. I'm unsure how to link an image on here, I think I've linked it but I don't see it as I'm writing this post.

Anyways, I think I will be getting an E39 with an existing M54 engine just to make things far simpler for the swap. Everything is included in my purchase of the chopped E39 including ECU's and bits so nothing needs to be coded I hope, It even comes with 2 sets of keys which surprised me. My only worry is that I hope the new M54B30 engine and it's parts are good, otherwise it'll be rebuilt before it goes into the new chassis to prevent headaches later down the road

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...2&locale=ms_MY
    Link to chopped E39. Sample image, this isn't the one I'm getting

My Cars
    z3
    It will need to be coded regardless since you are putting it in a different chassis for EWS/mileage/VIN and a tune for the different displacement

It's honestly very easy to convert an M52TU to M54. You could also just keep the original M52TU fuel rail and put the 3.0 injectors in it. This way the ONLY change you have to make is running 6 wires from the DME to the electronic pedal

If you can find an M54 car then that is easier. But, if you find a nice M52TU in a spec/color combo you like or one for a great deal... I would not hesitate for a moment to buy it. Just make sure it's an M52TU, not an M52 single VANOS. If you need help I'll even give you my number and walk you through it on Whatsapp... Doubt you'll need it though. Don't overthink it. The M54 is just an M52TU with electronic pedal

- - - Updated - - -

Based on that picture you might even have the electronic pedal too? How much of the pedal box is included? Looks like it was chopped just behind the pedal

My Cars
    2001 BMW E39
    Hey man, you're right, it's chopped behind the pedal. Got everything I need for the swap. Went through many many topics on this thread looking at how others build their cars and I'm just so excited to get started working on my car and show off the build progress to you guys.

Currently scouring the marketplace for a decent, abandoned E39 with an M54 for dirt cheap. Here in my country, although it isn't easy to find one, it's not impossible to find one just abandoned by the street. Keeping my fingers crossed until i find one without major rust.

Also, I'm planning to do this at home, as a DIY project and let me be honest here, I've worked as a mechanic for years with my grandfather but only on Japanese cars. I have some knowledge on cars but none when it comes to BMW engines. Nevertheless, nothing is hard and I'm willing to try this out. If it fails, I'll try again.. and again..