Thread: BMW E39 530i M-Sport Suspension suggestion

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-sport E39

Question BMW E39 530i M-Sport Suspension suggestion

Hello, i am planning on changing front and rear struts. My car came with M-sport suspension II from factory and it sits quite nice right now(everything is OEM). i want to change struts with Bilstein B4 but i see that my OEM sachs strut axis is lot shorter than Bilstein, so i am thinking that it will cause to raise the car up. Please give me suggestions about this

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Koni yellows have been pretty close to stock for me, my 540 has the Mtech suspension II as well, I adjusted them as per some forum threads on M5board. Some people just set them to full soft as well.

Apparently, if you call Bilstein they have a stock Mtech II replacement option as well that isn't listed most places.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 02-07-2023 at 07:30 PM.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka08 View Post
    Hello, i am planning on changing front and rear struts. My car came with M-sport suspension II from factory and it sits quite nice right now(everything is OEM). i want to change struts with Bilstein B4 but i see that my OEM sachs strut axis is lot shorter than Bilstein, so i am thinking that it will cause to raise the car up. Please give me suggestions about this
    Agreed. You will need the Sachs versions with the red label to be closer to the M Tech (Sport) suspension. I recommend downloading the PDF catalog from their site and shopping using part numbers.

The B4 option will probably be okay, but honestly, my friend paired B8s with new M Tech (Sport) springs on his Sport Pack 528i and it rides and handles very well. Just be warned that the ride is quite a bit firmer.

In regard to Koni, The Sports (Yellow) front struts have been NLA for I6 E39s for a while. The Special Actives are great and my mother has them all around on her E39. It rides very smoothly and just the right level of tightness. I would pass on their Street model.
    Wade

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    That’s why I bought Sachs OE. Not interested in feeling every little pebble on the road.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekula View Post
    That’s why I bought Sachs OE. Not interested in feeling every little pebble on the road.
    LOL !
    Oh so true ! lol ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    Agreed. You will need the Sachs versions with the red label to be closer to the M Tech (Sport) suspension. I recommend downloading the PDF catalog from their site and shopping using part numbers.

The B4 option will probably be okay, but honestly, my friend paired B8s with new M Tech (Sport) springs on his Sport Pack 528i and it rides and handles very well. Just be warned that the ride is quite a bit firmer.

In regard to Koni, The Sports (Yellow) front struts have been NLA for I6 E39s for a while. The Special Actives are great and my mother has them all around on her E39. It rides very smoothly and just the right level of tightness. I would pass on their Street model.
    I have been on the fence over the new Koni Red Actives , or OE Sachs stuffs ...
    Even the Koni Str's ?
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 02-07-2023 at 06:19 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post

I have been on the fence over the new Koni Red Actives , or OE Sachs stuffs ...
    Even the Koni Str's ?
    I have all three of those on various cars. My 525iT has the Koni Special Actives (AKA Reds, $$), my family's 530i sport package has stock Sachs ($$$), and my Fiesta ST has Koni STR.T (AKA orange, $).

The Koni reds are definitely the stiffest, and driving on crappy roads with them sucks. Expansion joints that I'd hardly notice with the Sachs will cause me to wince with the Koni reds. That said, I'll pick the reds for spirited backroads driving every time. Ditto for freeway driving, where the wagon with the reds feels most stable and planted, not that the Sachs are bad in this regard. I knew what I wanted when I bought them though, and can accept the compromised ride quality around town in exchange for excellent composure in the twisties.

If you've got the money for Sachs and want to retain a comfortable ride everywhere, get them. The 530i on stock sport suspension can still dance, don't get me wrong, but there is definitely a greater emphasis on luxury. I feel like Sachs also has better QC than Koni, FWIW.

I'd only get the Koni orange shocks if cost is the primary factor. They work fine in my FiST, where the goal was more compliance on shitty roads and keeping running costs as low as possible. While the Fiesta is a wildly different platform than the E39, my guess is they would feel more similar to stock Sachs without the refinement and build quality. Koni does offer a lifetime warranty which is nice, just be sure to read about how you go about using it.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-sport E39
    But if i go with bilstein b4 , will it cause to raise the car up? I live in a different country and at the moment there is not available OEM sachs with red label so thats why i am considering bilstein b4

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    With poor quality roads and lots of pot holes and such, you need a compliant suspension. OE set up (shocks, struts and springs) will get you 90% of what you are seeking. Add in a larger rear sway bar (M5 recommended) and new bushings w/new links Front & Rear will provide the roll control that so many seek here on the forum. I would replace your REAR bushing with Poly and use these STEEL replace brackets as they are cheap and will use the same fasteners from the factory.

OE Brackets replacement:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14487091402...AAAOSwVClfaS6z

Bushings
    There are lots of Euro suppliers who make rear bushings for the E39 suspension. Your rear bar is currently 14mm. The M5 bar is 16.5mm so that is the hole size you need for the bushings.

Note: BMW E39's have three OE size bars depending on engine/suspension options.
    Bar Sizes for Euro production
    MSport Part No
    M Sports suspension S704A=Yes Dia: 13MM 33551092835
    National version eastern Europe
    L816A=Yes D=14MM 33551092834
    or
    M sports suspension II S705A=Yes
    or
    Poor road package S815A=Yes
    Stabilizer, rear D=15MM 33531093816

Measure what you have and move to the M5 bar for better handling.
    33552229136 Stabilizer, rear, D=16,5MM
    Last edited by StephenVA; 02-11-2023 at 08:02 AM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    I put B4's on my '03 540, and deeply regretted it.
    They were entirely too soft, and handling was poor.
    I went cheap knowing I was going to sell the car, and thought about putting it back to stock.
    It was a bad decision, especially for the next owner...

I have B6's on my current '03 540, and they handle excellent.
    Stiff, but excellent.

My $0.02...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
    I went cheap knowing I was going to sell the car, and thought about putting it back to stock.

Stiff, but excellent.

My $0.02...
    Were the B4’s similar to the Sachs stuffs ?

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckesteeze View Post
    I have all three of those on various cars. My 525iT has the Koni Special Actives (AKA Reds, $$), my family's 530i sport package has stock Sachs ($$$), and my Fiesta ST has Koni STR.T (AKA orange, $).

The Koni reds are definitely the stiffest, and driving on crappy roads with them sucks. Expansion joints that I'd hardly notice with the Sachs will cause me to wince with the Koni reds. That said, I'll pick the reds for spirited backroads driving every time. Ditto for freeway driving, where the wagon with the reds feels most stable and planted, not that the Sachs are bad in this regard. I knew what I wanted when I bought them though, and can accept the compromised ride quality around town in exchange for excellent composure in the twisties.

If you've got the money for Sachs and want to retain a comfortable ride everywhere, get them. The 530i on stock sport suspension can still dance, don't get me wrong, but there is definitely a greater emphasis on luxury. I feel like Sachs also has better QC than Koni, FWIW.

I'd only get the Koni orange shocks if cost is the primary factor. They work fine in my FiST, where the goal was more compliance on shitty roads and keeping running costs as low as possible. While the Fiesta is a wildly different platform than the E39, my guess is they would feel more similar to stock Sachs without the refinement and build quality. Koni does offer a lifetime warranty which is nice, just be sure to read about how you go about using it.
    I must say I have to kindly disagree with your assessment of the Koni Special Actives (FSDs/Reds). They are firmer than the OE Sachs options (Standard and Sport) but have a compliance you just cannot get with a Bilstein. They smooth our super rough roads and potholes but firm up nicely in corners. I feel they make an E39 what it should have been to begin with.

All that said, we had a set of front struts go bad after 50k miles and then the variable dampening did not work and they were super firm. Koni covered new units (no labor) under warranty and it was back to the good feelings after we replaced them. I have to wonder if yours aren't working correctly when you describe them as very firm.
    Wade

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    firm is subjective as everyone's butt dyno is either compliant or useless
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Roads play a factor too. Have Bilstein B6 on my M5. On the crappier roads, the ride can be a bit harsh. On better roads it's fine. Despite that though, the car handles great with them. Of course I also overhauled the rest of the suspension as well which obviously helps lol.

I've heard that B4's are basically like factory Sachs. Mixed reviews, some liked them, others didn't. Looks like Rockauto has aftermarket Sachs. But pretty sure they are for M-Tech 1 suspension, not your M-Tech II. Otherwise if you want factory ride, bend over for genuine parts.

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nfs021 View Post
    Roads play a factor too. Have Bilstein B6 on my M5. On the crappier roads, the ride can be a bit harsh. On better roads it's fine. Despite that though, the car handles great with them. Of course I also overhauled the rest of the suspension as well which obviously helps lol.

I've heard that B4's are basically like factory Sachs. Mixed reviews, some liked them, others didn't. Looks like Rockauto has aftermarket Sachs. But pretty sure they are for M-Tech 1 suspension, not your M-Tech II. Otherwise if you want factory ride, bend over for genuine parts.
    It is worth noting that Sachs own catalog lists M Tech I and M Tech II sharing the same dampener. The info on Sachs in really scattered so the only way I learned this was by downloading the PDF catalog and shopping by part number.
    https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/sac...2iqI4puRzZZ_dE
    Wade

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525it,2003 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by haolibird View Post

Stiff, but excellent.

My $0.02...
    Fully agree on the B4's being way too soft particularly when cornering at speed. I plan to install Koni yellows as the adjustability is appealing.

BTW, I suspect I am the "next owner" haolibird refers to above !

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Oh snap ! lol ...

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Quote Originally Posted by patrm99 View Post
    Fully agree on the B4's being way too soft particularly when cornering at speed. I plan to install Koni yellows as the adjustability is appealing.

BTW, I suspect I am the "next owner" haolibird refers to above !
    Keep in mind that the Konis are only adjustable for rebound and not compression. You also have to take the rear shocks off the car to adjust them which is fun.

If you take the front shocks off I'd recommend putting a reinforcement plate between the shock and the chassis to prevent them from bowing out.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 02-20-2023 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    Patrick,

I suppose you are...

Look at the bright side, had I put the B6's on, I would never have sold the car!
    My wife is STILL pissed I let that one go.

Hope all is well.

Tom

My Cars
    2001 530i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubergine View Post
    I must say I have to kindly disagree with your assessment of the Koni Special Actives (FSDs/Reds). They are firmer than the OE Sachs options (Standard and Sport) but have a compliance you just cannot get with a Bilstein. They smooth our super rough roads and potholes but firm up nicely in corners. I feel they make an E39 what it should have been to begin with.

All that said, we had a set of front struts go bad after 50k miles and then the variable dampening did not work and they were super firm. Koni covered new units (no labor) under warranty and it was back to the good feelings after we replaced them. I have to wonder if yours aren't working correctly when you describe them as very firm.
    You could be right about them being defective. I know Koni QC doesn't have the best reputation.