Thread: Likely head gasket blown? Or something else

My Cars
    2003 e39 530i

Likely head gasket blown? Or something else

2003 with 230k km.

After parking the car during a 3 day cold snap of -30 C temperatures, I waited until it was -4C outside to start it up.
    I had brought the battery in my garage during this time to keep it warm.

So, the car started just fine, engine sounded smooth, but then after about 5 minutes it started billowing white smoke and had a nasty smell.
    I shut it off, then upon restarting it had a hell of a time but finally caught.
    I brought up the RPMs a little hoping it was a little condensation but the smoke got worse.

After shutting it down again, then trying to restart again, it made less than half a turn, second time again the engine barely turned. As if the battery is dead but it new as of last year and reading 12.3v.

I quit at that moment realizing that it may very well be a blown head gasket that flooded the engine.

Next I'll pull the plugs and take a look unless there's something else I should try?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Before assuming a blown HG, check first for a frozen CVV system. Was the smoke oil-smelling or coolant-smelling (blue vs white smoke, resp.) A freeze-up in there could pull oil from the sump into the intake manifold. If you take many short trips in cold weather, water condensation accumulates in the crankcase and its vent valve system, and then freezes and clogs up the works. Sometimes this will throw a CEL code.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed CT View Post
    Before assuming a blown HG, check first for a frozen CVV system. Was the smoke oil-smelling or coolant-smelling (blue vs white smoke, resp.) A freeze-up in there could pull oil from the sump into the intake manifold. If you take many short trips in cold weather, water condensation accumulates in the crankcase and its vent valve system, and then freezes and clogs up the works. Sometimes this will throw a CEL code.
    ^^ Yep. Unless a recent overheating event the likelihood of a head gasket failing is low.
    Sounds like its close to being hydro-locked, DON'T run it until you pull the plugs, crank it and see what, if anything, comes out.
    One of our members here has some graphic photographs that illustrate the consequences of a hydro-locked engine. My guess is if he sees your thread he'll post up the gory details.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Paging Seagreen.
    -Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 02-05-2023 at 05:06 PM.

My Cars
    2003 e39 530i
    Was able to check codes. got my regular recurring p0491 p0492 for the secondary air pump, but also got a new one,
    p0741 powertrain - torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off.

After letting the car sit for a few minutes I tried to crank it again. Surprisingly it was cranking normally but didn't catch until maybe the 5th try.

Crazy White smoke again. Managed to quickly get it in my garage where I'll let it sit overnight.

Definitely oil smelling but the smoke was white. Would it not smell "sweet" if it was coolant?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    The difference between blue oil smoke and white coolant 'smoke' is way too subtle for me, so, yes - burning oil smells like oil and coolant steam is, like you say, sweet smelling. When it gets above freezing up there in Canada, take the car for an hour long drive (if it seems to be running OK) to heat up and burn of any condensation in the engine. You may still have some left over condensed sludge in there, but any iced up clogs will have been cleared away.

For the P0491/92 codes, search on the site here for Secondary Air Pump system testing. You may just only have a split vacuum line or the valve is stuck.

As for P0741, my condolences on having an automatic tranny.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Oh that's me!

Don't hydrolock your engine...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 e39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    Oh that's me!

Don't hydrolock your engine...

That must have been a shitty day.
    Do I want to know how this happened?

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Brake booster compartment drain got clogged, hand washed the car with a liberal volume of water from a garden hose. Went inside after drying it off to grab my wallet while it was idling. Brake booster sucked up that water from the compartment, Heard a pop and saw this outside. Picked up pieces of the block off the ground for a week after that.

Cost me an entire motor, transmission, and a starter. #6 rod left the block and slapped around for 30- 45 seconds before I realized what was happening outside and turned it off. I'll say it was running until I turned it off with a rod hanging out of the side.

Of course the stupid rod had to tee off the starter and take the bellhousing with it.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    When in doubt to a chemical vapor test. Cheap, easy, and near definitive.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    2003 e39 530i
    update: left the car in a warm garage overnight
    oil level was over a quart low, coolant was fine

started the car and again started billowing, which had a blueish tint this morning.
    i let the car run for a few minutes and noticed that the smoke was very slowly dissipating.
    took it for a drive, was a good 30 minutes before the smoke was completely gone.

added a second quart of oil at this point and notice milky yellowish color on the dip stick and oil cap.
    continued to drive another 40 minutes, dip stick was cleaner and the oil cap was better.

I'll take it for another drive later on but i think we're in the clear

thanks all

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    That yellow snot is the water condensate result.

One thing that I do in the colder months to alleviate this is, after driving and parking in the garage, immediately open the hood and remove the oil filler cap for about an hour to let the condensed water evaporate. This really helps in keeping that sludge away.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Last time I replaced a CCV(Z3)the cold weather version was actually less expensive than the standard one. Made it a no brainer. Customer then moves to Fl.
    Scroll down for yours, $53
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/BMW-parts/53...20vent%20valve
    Last edited by ross1; 02-06-2023 at 11:15 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue