Thread: '98 328is - looking for opinions on repairs

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is Coupe

'98 328is - looking for opinions on repairs

I am the original owner of an automatic 1998 e36 coupe. I've taken really good care of the car and it has been garaged its whole life; I even had the front seats reupholstered. It has 176k miles, and I'm looking at several thousand $$ worth of work that it needs right now — a radiator, oil filter housing, valve cover gasket, belts & hoses and a handful of non-engine-related things that need taking care of. Normally, I never flinched at putting a couple thousand into it because I haven't had car payments in years. I can't complain, I've never really had anything major go wrong, so I guess I'm due. I just experienced a bunch of white smoke billowing out from beneath the rear passenger wheel well, and I'm wondering if that means the radiator leak (I've had a very small one) has gotten worse to the point that I shouldn't drive it. I'd like to be able to drive it to my mechanic as soon as they can get me in. What do ya'll think about sinking the money into the car? Do you think the payoff is worth the monetary risk with this many miles on it? It's a beautiful car, I'd hate to see it fail now, if it was a junker then I suppose it wouldn't matter. Just wondering what other owners think. I know it's far cheaper than buying a new car.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    If you have had it that long and like it, keep it and fix it. Worst case you have a blown headgasket or cracked head. The head usually does not crack unless the car has been overheated. You did not mention that, but also did not say why it needs a radiator. At this age and mileage, you should have already replace the radiator at least once, and probably the entire cooling system should be replaced. Fixing the oil leaks is pretty common as well.

If the shop wants a few thousand just to do what you listed, I am worried about what it would charge for the headgasket or a rebuilt head plus gasket. Could be double a few thousand.

But that does not mean you should get rid of the car. It’s a classic now and you like it. But it won’t be getting any younger and will be needing more and more work. Are you up for that? If this is your primary car and you can’t maintain it and repair it yourself, the future will not be as good as the past.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Where is the white smoke coming from?

Maybe get a quote before you give them the go a head. Give them a list and mention the smoke.

Is the coolant level low? Any drips on the floor?

You have to really trust the mechanic because they're going to do unneeded work and overcharge.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    325is
    I would check the secondary air injection pump. If leaking it will take exhaust gas and mix it with the valve cover gas.. instant smoke.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    That's not even possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gc325is View Post
    I would check the secondary air injection pump. If leaking it will take exhaust gas and mix it with the valve cover gas.. instant smoke.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    If you have had it that long and like it, keep it and fix it. Worst case you have a blown headgasket or cracked head. The head usually does not crack unless the car has been overheated. You did not mention that, but also did not say why it needs a radiator. At this age and mileage, you should have already replace the radiator at least once, and probably the entire cooling system should be replaced. Fixing the oil leaks is pretty common as well.

If the shop wants a few thousand just to do what you listed, I am worried about what it would charge for the headgasket or a rebuilt head plus gasket. Could be double a few thousand.

But that does not mean you should get rid of the car. It’s a classic now and you like it. But it won’t be getting any younger and will be needing more and more work. Are you up for that? If this is your primary car and you can’t maintain it and repair it yourself, the future will not be as good as the past.
    Thanks so much for your input. Wise statement for sure, "the future will not be as good as the past," but it is still damn fun to drive. It is my primary car and has never been overheated, and never had an oil leak until now, but the oil only appears on the top of the engine, not on the ground. I thought I mentioned that I do have a minor coolant leak, but don't need to add it too often. I checked it and it was low, so I added some. Very little of it actually hits the ground, the leak is on the very top. I have replaced the radiator once, at 90k miles. I couldn't tell where the smoke (white smoke) was coming from because it was just blowing out from the rear wheel well on the passenger side — nothing from the engine compartment. I looked underneath, but I couldn't see anything and wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway.

I'm sure the area I live in impacts the prices for service & repair (So. Cal.). I trust my mechanic and am not worried about unnecessary work being done as another contributor mentioned. My former mechanic was a lot less expensive; I went to him for about 15 years, but the pandemic did him in. I was broken hearted when he went out of business. Every mechanic I interviewed knew of him but cautioned me that their prices could not compete with his. I've decided that I'm going to fix everything on the list they gave me at my last service. I was going to space it out, but I am a bit paranoid now, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it all now. Just waiting for my appointment.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is Coupe
    Thanks for your advice. I do trust my mechanic. Coolant was low, but not empty; car has never overheated, very few drips on the floor. I couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from, it was just blowing out from the rear wheel well on the passenger side — nothing at all from the engine compartment. I already have quotes for radiator, reservoir and hoses; valve cover gasket; and oil filter housing. Those all totalled come to $2830, but I live in So. Cal. and I'm sure prices are higher here than in a lot of other ares of the country.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric93se View Post
    Where is the white smoke coming from?
    Maybe get a quote before you give them the go a head. Give them a list and mention the smoke.Is the coolant level low? Any drips on the floor?
    You have to really trust the mechanic because they're going to do unneeded work and overcharge.
    The coolant was low, but not empty. I have been adding some every so often, the leak is on the very top of the radiator, so there are very few drips on the floor. I couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from because it was just blowing out from the rear passenger wheel well — nothing at all from the engine compartment. I already have a quote for the following: radiator, reservoir & hoses; valve cover gasket; oil filter housing; and belts & pulleys all totaling $3340. I'm in So. Cal. so I'm sure prices are higher here than other parts of the country.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Does the white smoke ever go away? Does it smell like oil or like coolant? If it goes away it could just be condensation. Whatever the cause if it is exhaust based, there is an exhaust leak if it is coming out the wheel well.

On the rear passenger side there is an evap system for the gas tank that is mostly plastic and can crack. You can find posts with more detail but it is a common problem as these cars age and usually can be fixed pretty easily. It is just a bit of a pain to get to since it is hidden. It can cause codes but I have not read of white smoke.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Doesn't sound good to me. White smoke, added coolant several times. Most people don't know how to bleed their e36. You said the rad was replaced years back, but check your records if the water pump was ever done. Your the original owner, I don't know what year BMW fixed there exploding plastic water pumps (total loss of cooling capability means overheat = cracked cylinder head). With the prices they're charging its going to cost a million bucks.

Before they replace a single thing you need only a compression test done, get a quote for just that. If the car has been sitting for a while the numbers will be low, the important thing is that the numbers are close to one another and none are close to zero.

No coolant on the floor could mean its going through the engine (cracked head or failed head gasket).

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You live in Cali humidity is low any condensation should be minimal.

My Cars
    325is
    That's not even possible. ....... I recall reading about white smoke with the air pump.
    My car does not have one but they said the pump or valve can go bad then it can route hot gas back into the vacuum system from what I read.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...=air+pump+leak
    Last edited by gc325is; 02-06-2023 at 10:00 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Any update?