Thread: 2011 BMW 740i Park mode issue dealer says mechatronic needs replacement

My Cars
    2011 BMW 740i

2011 BMW 740i Park mode issue dealer says mechatronic needs replacement

A few months ago a message came up on the screen of my 740i stating that my car might not be in park mode. It seems to be an electronic glitch because it actually does go into park mode and everything works great, transmission shifts perfectly etc. This car has only about 66k miles. The dealer says I should replace the mechatronic, but they want over $5k which seems crazy since the car is maybe worth $10k. Has anyone else had this issue and do you know if driving it without replacing the mechatronic will do any damage to the car? I found a couple places where you can buy a remanufactured mechatronic for $500 to $1k but the dealer only wants to install the remanufactured part from BMW. Any help/advice with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougemont View Post
    A few months ago a message came up on the screen of my 740i stating that my car might not be in park mode. It seems to be an electronic glitch because it actually does go into park mode and everything works great, transmission shifts perfectly etc. This car has only about 66k miles. The dealer says I should replace the mechatronic, but they want over $5k which seems crazy since the car is maybe worth $10k. Has anyone else had this issue and do you know if driving it without replacing the mechatronic will do any damage to the car? I found a couple places where you can buy a remanufactured mechatronic for $500 to $1k but the dealer only wants to install the remanufactured part from BMW. Any help/advice with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Yes it is the Mechatronic, actually a fault in the control unit not the valve body.

Do the remanufactured units come with a virginized control module fitted? The reman units usually require the purchaser to transfer the old control unit to the new.

Xemodex can repair your existing module but it must be removed from the valve body which requires pulling out the complete mechatronics.

Mark.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by mandd View Post
    Yes it is the Mechatronic, actually a fault in the control unit not the valve body.

Do the remanufactured units come with a virginized control module fitted? The reman units usually require the purchaser to transfer the old control unit to the new.

Xemodex can repair your existing module but it must be removed from the valve body which requires pulling out the complete mechatronics.

Mark.

Thanks Mark, this is very helpful! I will call Xemodex on Monday. Do you think it will do any damage to anything if I continue to drive it while I am waiting to schedule the service to have it fixed?

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougemont View Post
    Thanks Mark, this is very helpful! I will call Xemodex on Monday. Do you think it will do any damage to anything if I continue to drive it while I am waiting to schedule the service to have it fixed?
    No no damage will occur, the transmission will default to park when the engine and terminal 15 is switched off, ensure the parking brake is on to ensure safety.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 740i
    Thank you Mark!!