Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 328ifun's M50 Turbo Build

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo

328ifun's M50 Turbo Build

Hey All,

Anyone still around here any longer? Hopefully everyone hasn't drifted over to Facebook full-time.

On to my next project, I thought I'd share the progress here. I completed an M52 turbo build awhile back on my 97' Boston Green Convertible Hardtop and had great feedback and discussion on the forum. The project was a blast and I've been itching to do it again as I sold the car for a price I couldn't turn down. Now, I have the opportunity to start all over again and do things even better!

The car is a 95' 325is, I believe its Calypso Red (an awesome color and I haven't seen very many on the street). The best part about the car? Its only got 94,000 miles on it . . . And I only paid $1800 for it, it has a fresh inspection (believe it or not), no CEL, and it drives pretty damn good out of the gate. The bad part, its an auto :-( -- which will most certainly need to be addressed. Its got some peeling clear coat, a dent in the hood and a really nice sized dent in the passenger door. I can't stand dents messing up the body lines on the E36, so they'll need to addressed as well either with replacement or aftermarket parts. Ill paint the car in my garage when it start to warm up here in Virginia.

On to the fun stuff, some force-fed goodness. My last build was bottom mount, I think I want to go top mount this time. I plant to yank the engine out and refresh all the seals, seal the oil pump, etc. . . all the basic stuff.

I am thinking I want to budget around 5k in turbo parts, or try to do it as cheap as possible with quality / low mileage used-parts. Most of my stuff was brand-new on my last build, I don't think its necessary to buy new if used stuff works.

I used Zack, at 22RPD last time for the tune, it seemed like it was pretty good but I always had an intermittent misfire (I think it was anyway) at idle which I could never figure but it didn't bother me too much, AFRs were within range.

So my question is, what are you guys using for or recommend:
    • Compression?
      • I plan to run 93 again (highest we have here in VA). I noticed the copper spacer are hard to find right now. But I came across this and couldn't find much on them. It's an import product. The spacer is steel and it looks like two cut-ring gaskets are used on the bottom and top of the spacer, which is a new setup to me:

• And here is just the steel spacer:

• Or if anyone knows where the find the traditional stuff copper/ cut-ring that'd be awesome
      • Looks like ARP studs are still available, so that's great.

• Tranmission? Thoughts?
      • Throw in ZF swap with 6 puck? Any other options here?

• Top Mount Manifold (I want to keep AC and run a filter on the turbo)?
    • What's a good turbo for the m50?
      • I used a precision 6262 for the m52. I think I want to go ball-bearing this go around instead of Journal.

• Tunes? What's everyone using OBDI-wise these days?
      • What's cost effective here, I'm not sure I want to tune it myself. I remember the tune being the most expensive part at about $1500. . .

Any always, here some pictures. Ill be sure to post everything as I did last time. Appreciate the help from all of the experts here! This should be fun.

Last edited by 328iFun; 01-31-2023 at 12:08 PM.

My Cars
    A few
    The Ebay links that you posted are for items beings sold by K64 out of Poland (https://k64performance.com/). K64 is fairly active in the Boosted E36 Group on FB. I have no personal experience with them or their products.

If you want to keep a stock ecu, why not convert to OBD2? It's easy and better than an OBD1 chip tune.

Excited to see your build progress!

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Thomas View Post
    The Ebay links that you posted are for items beings sold by K64 out of Poland (https://k64performance.com/). K64 is fairly active in the Boosted E36 Group on FB. I have no personal experience with them or their products.

If you want to keep a stock ecu, why not convert to OBD2? It's easy and better than an OBD1 chip tune.

Excited to see your build progress!
    Good idea, I'll look into what's involved with the conversion.

I try to stay off Facebook, I'll post over there and see if anyone has any experiences with the setup from K64. If I get any stupid responses on FB, which is inevitable, I'll jump off quick -- People spend a lot of time on social media, tend to get bored and brave at the same time. Boosted E36 is full of the a-typical (Hey mommy look at me, I'm witty!) finger tip warriors. They're are a few good guys on there though, I've noticed.
    Last edited by 328iFun; 01-31-2023 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    A few
    The Boosted E36 group is far more active than the forum and has some helpful information in response to pointed questions. It will never replace the forums in terms of a "build thread". I just look at it as another resource for information (that requires vetting for accuracy).

The OBD2 conversion is easy. RKTunes had posted a video on Youtube some time ago. I followed the video for my build.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    The Boosted E36 group is far more active than the forum and has some helpful information in response to pointed questions. It will never replace the forums in terms of a "build thread". I just look at it as another resource for information (that requires vetting for accuracy).

The OBD2 conversion is easy. RKTunes had posted a video on Youtube some time ago. I followed the video for my build.
    Nice, seems like the OBDII swap is worthwhile

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Hey all, been working on getting the 325 scuffed and ready for paint. Managed to correct a couple of annoying dents, once it warms up it'll get a fresh coat of calypso rot and then it will be boost worthy. The clearcoat peel is pretty bad on it . . . Can't wait to get the engine yanked out of it and start turning the wrench.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 328iFun; 02-05-2023 at 08:41 PM.

My Cars
    1996 320is
    Keep posting really enjoyed your last journey to boost

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by PiepPiep View Post
    Keep posting really enjoyed your last journey to boost
    Appreciate that!

It was fun, posting on here and sharing with everyone was probably the best part. I think working on the car and the challenge was just as great a feeling as driving it after completion.

Ill keep the thread active! I've got a baby now though, so may not be quite as frequent as last. Not until it warms up here in Virginia, anyway.

If you guys want and don't mind of course, shoot me some good top mount manifolds. Also thinking about going with the precision 6262 again, or should I try something else?

My Cars
    A few
    I have a twin scroll top mount made by Ricky Ferris / 88Lab. It's a nice piece.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    I have a twin scroll top mount made by Ricky Ferris / 88Lab. It's a nice piece.
    Cool,

if you dont mind posting some pics, Ill check it out

My Cars
    A few
    Here are some photos. There may be some others in my build thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mp-Turbo-Build

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Here are some photos. There may be some others in my build thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mp-Turbo-Build

Placement looks pretty good there.

Are you parting out your entire car? Or just the manifold?

My Cars
    A few
    No, I am not parting out my car. I was just showing the turbo manifold for reference of what is available (other than RSI). VIE also makes a nice looking manifold https://viengineered.net/products/e3...turbo-manifold

My Cars
    1990 325i
    I just wanted to chime in I recently converted from OBD1 to OBD2 when I went turbo, with the help of these guy on here. I went with 22rpd and had their stock ecu turbo tune to start. I soon switched over to VEMS ecu since I sold my old OBD1 set up. I'm personally learning how to tune the car myself. I do like Vems hardware for the most part, but I will eventually go back OBD1 and try out LINK or another standalone mainly for the updated features. If you want the factory OBD2 dme turbo package hardware, which is currently set up for e85 and 1300CC injectors I can DM you a price if you're interested i'm located in Maryland. I currently have a 6466 on my set up with a 88lab dual wastegate set up on the way.
    Last edited by E30s50dude; 02-07-2023 at 06:50 PM.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by E30s50dude View Post
    I just wanted to chime in I recently converted from OBD1 to OBD2 when I went turbo, with the help of these guy on here. I went with 22rpd and had their stock ecu turbo tune to start. I soon switched over to VEMS ecu since I sold my old OBD1 set up. I'm personally learning how to tune the car myself. I do like Vems hardware for the most part, but I will eventually go back OBD1 and try out LINK or another standalone mainly for the updated features. If you want the factory OBD2 dme turbo package hardware, which is currently set up for e85 and 1300CC injectors I can DM you a price if you're interested i'm located in Maryland. I currently have a 6466 on my set up with a 88lab dual wastegate set up on the way.
    Thanks for the reply, running VEMS is an interesting concept. How are you doing with it so far? Seem pretty straight forward and were you able to acquire a base tune?

As mentioned, I used 22rpd tune in the past and was never able to figure out why I had an idle pop. Literally combed through the build over and over again and couldn't find anything. Now that that I am thinking about it could fun to use VEMS and tune and play around with by myself.

No E85 in my area, sadly.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Good to see you back here broski! Your previous thread helped me tons in building my e36!

What happened to the grey coupe?

If you need info on the obd2 conversion, sent me a PM, I made a document when I converted a M50NV, the M50tu is basically the same minus the cam trigger wheel (or whatever you call it) it’s easy btw, and we’ll worth it.

Can even tune the OBD2 by yourself, and I am happy to show you around a bit with that if you like. Hit me up on insta if you like @elon_t
    Last edited by et89; 02-10-2023 at 04:22 PM.

My Cars
    1990 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    Thanks for the reply, running VEMS is an interesting concept. How are you doing with it so far? Seem pretty straight forward and were you able to acquire a base tune?

As mentioned, I used 22rpd tune in the past and was never able to figure out why I had an idle pop. Literally combed through the build over and over again and couldn't find anything. Now that that I am thinking about it could fun to use VEMS and tune and play around with by myself.

No E85 in my area, sadly.

Vems has been good to me the ecu did come with a base tune from the owner of VEMS. Basically, a really rich fuel table, and conservate ignition table across the board. I've been street tuning it for about 4 months now. I made 400whp/400TQ at 14psi on a mustang dyno just doing 3 power pulls. I was adjusting the fuel table on the street beforehand. Now I'm at 30psi on the street after bumping WG base pressure to 18psi.

With help from the VEMS user group on FB they helped me dial in my idle using IACV along with ignition timing to keep me from stalling when at stop lights. Only thing I haven't figured out is the Vanos cam adjustment setting on their software. You'll need an e46 cam sensor IIRC to get started, which you just shave a small piece of the connector to make it work (optional on their website) or they say to leave the cam sensor unplugged. I can upload some pic's of the interface to give you an idea of it all but it's pretty user friendly overall. You can check out some of the vids I have on IG @sum_e30
    Last edited by E30s50dude; 02-11-2023 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by E30s50dude View Post
    Vems has been good to me the ecu did come with a base tune from the owner of VEMS. Basically, a really rich fuel table, and conservate ignition table across the board. I've been street tuning it for about 4 months now. I made 400whp/400TQ at 14psi on a mustang dyno just doing 3 power pulls. I was adjusting the fuel table on the street beforehand. Now I'm at 30psi on the street after bumping WG base pressure to 18psi.

With help from the VEMS user group on FB they helped me dial in my idle using IACV along with ignition timing to keep me from stalling when at stop lights. Only thing I haven't figured out is the Vanos cam adjustment setting on their software. You'll need an e46 cam sensor IIRC to get started, which you just shave a small piece of the connector to make it work (optional on their website) or they say to leave the cam sensor unplugged. I can upload some pic's of the interface to give you an idea of it all but it's pretty user friendly overall. You can check out some of the vids I have on IG @sum_e30
    VANOS is very easy as it's just on/off and should be already pinned out (if you have a PNP VEMS). You don't even need the cam sensor to use VANOS.

My Cars
    none
    ProEFI is really amazing ecu for the price. Just had a customer pick up a brand new one on marketplace for $700 for a 128 ECU. There seems to be a bunch floating around. It's the best out there for the price, easily. If you can make the jumper yourself, you seem handy, you wouldn't regret that decision. The stock stuff is good, there is just no engine protection, boost protection, fuel pressure protection, etc. Idles super nice and no misfires ever. The only deal is with the coils you would need two 3 channel bosch igniters or smart coils. The pnp stuff is cool but the factory harness is missing a bunch of the critical inputs as these were not factory turbo cars. I use these ecus everyday so I have seen how many times they have saved engines from dumb things happening. Many of the ecus can not match what it can do. The automatic pulse width calculation stuff is amazing. Fuel pump starts dropping off or the air temp changes, the ecu never misses the target air fuel without you having to so much as check a box. All built into the "true VE" model.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what I came here to say originally, I'm not so sure I would mess with that steel spacer. Seems sketchy to me.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby Colbs View Post
    ProEFI is really amazing ecu for the price. Just had a customer pick up a brand new one on marketplace for $700 for a 128 ECU. There seems to be a bunch floating around. It's the best out there for the price, easily. If you can make the jumper yourself, you seem handy, you wouldn't regret that decision. The stock stuff is good, there is just no engine protection, boost protection, fuel pressure protection, etc. Idles super nice and no misfires ever. The only deal is with the coils you would need two 3 channel bosch igniters or smart coils. The pnp stuff is cool but the factory harness is missing a bunch of the critical inputs as these were not factory turbo cars. I use these ecus everyday so I have seen how many times they have saved engines from dumb things happening. Many of the ecus can not match what it can do. The automatic pulse width calculation stuff is amazing. Fuel pump starts dropping off or the air temp changes, the ecu never misses the target air fuel without you having to so much as check a box. All built into the "true VE" model.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what I came here to say originally, I'm not so sure I would mess with that steel spacer. Seems sketchy to me.
    Does ProEFI support MAF input?
    I have been thinking about converting to OBDI and install a linkECU, but I run ITB's+Turbo and i am not sure if Speed Density is the way to go for that.
    (Based on issues found in the RB community)

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    ProEFI is really amazing ecu for the price
    I find ProEFI is far too locked down - you get what you get and only what they believe you should have and that's that and when dealing with the 'support/owners' at ProEFI things get even worse - I would never give my money to that company after seeing how they interact with their own dealers.

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    I find ProEFI is far too locked down - you get what you get and only what they believe you should have and that's that and when dealing with the 'support/owners' at ProEFI things get even worse - I would never give my money to that company after seeing how they interact with their own dealers.
    I'm not sure what "you get what you get" means. You do not have to pay for features or have features unlocked. Some features are firmware dependant but that's a good thing. If anyone needs support or firmware feel free to give them my email. Colby at LUXFABUSA dot com. I help people all over the world daily, some dealers just shouldn't be dealers based on ProEFI's expectations. You are expected to know it inside and out and fully support the customer. For sure Jason has made things tough in the past, I hear that a lot. They are now under new ownership and working to resolve those issues. There are some really badass tuners out there that have had issues and they call me and I can walk them through whatever is needed. If you don't have the fault manager completely setup for example, flex fuel blending will not work correctly. A lot of people don't have these things setup correctly. To date not one problem with any ecu, ever. It's a super badass piece, sometimes I wish the 128 was smaller but it hasn't limited me yet. There's always a way!

My Cars
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by et89 View Post
    Does ProEFI support MAF input?
    I have been thinking about converting to OBDI and install a linkECU, but I run ITB's+Turbo and i am not sure if Speed Density is the way to go for that.
    (Based on issues found in the RB community)
    Yeah, I have a ton of happy Boosted E46 M3 customers. I would recommend ditching the MAF all together and run it Throttle Based MAP (Alpha N with Manifold Pressure Reference). It works extremely well, I love it. Some people tune all of the engines that way. There is less need for Acceleration Enrichment Tuning that way.

Whatever you choose, pick someone you can count on for support and let them guide you. If you need any assistance or have any questions here is my email, Colby at LUXFABUSA dot com.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I'm not sure what "you get what you get" means.
    What that means is you're not able to come up with your own strategies if you want to - you're limited to using the inputs and outputs (and tables) that are already defined based on how ProEFI thinks you will use (or how they want you to use) the ECU. If I want to create a custom table based on an input or output I should be able to do that. Why would I want some company dictating how I use my ECU? Why should you gain or lose features depending on what Firmware is loaded? From what I can see they just haven't innovated since ProEFI was released way back when and there is always a catch somewhere with them.

That together with software that has a UI interface that only it's Mother can love, multiple settings/options that require offline changes/burning (ie. not real-time), and the list goes on and on. I just noticed that they're actually charging people for their newest "Gen 2" calibration software too. LOL Like come on how are you supposed to take a company that does this seriously (I remember at the beginning when you had to buy a license/USB dongle to unlock the ECU so you can tune it - it was an extra cost on top of the ECU as well)?

ProEFI hardware is clearly capable it's why they chose it to base their product on - but the business side and the software/firmware side make it one of the lesser attractive options IMO, there are plenty of ECU's you there that offer better and more robust hardware and more flexible firmware/software features that ProEFI simply cannot compete with. Also Jason isn't out of the picture there as it was only a few months ago where his responses showed that ProEFI isn't serious about Customer (ie. Dealer) Support - I was blown away on how he acted/responded.

My Cars
    98 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by 328iFun View Post
    Hey All,

Anyone still around here any longer? Hopefully everyone hasn't drifted over to Facebook full-time.

On to my next project, I thought I'd share the progress here. I completed an M52 turbo build awhile back on my 97' Boston Green Convertible Hardtop and had great feedback and discussion on the forum. The project was a blast and I've been itching to do it again as I sold the car for a price I couldn't turn down. Now, I have the opportunity to start all over again and do things even better!

The car is a 95' 325is, I believe its Calypso Red (an awesome color and I haven't seen very many on the street). The best part about the car? Its only got 94,000 miles on it . . . And I only paid $1800 for it, it has a fresh inspection (believe it or not), no CEL, and it drives pretty damn good out of the gate. The bad part, its an auto :-( -- which will most certainly need to be addressed. Its got some peeling clear coat, a dent in the hood and a really nice sized dent in the passenger door. I can't stand dents messing up the body lines on the E36, so they'll need to addressed as well either with replacement or aftermarket parts. Ill paint the car in my garage when it start to warm up here in Virginia.

On to the fun stuff, some force-fed goodness. My last build was bottom mount, I think I want to go top mount this time. I plant to yank the engine out and refresh all the seals, seal the oil pump, etc. . . all the basic stuff.

I am thinking I want to budget around 5k in turbo parts, or try to do it as cheap as possible with quality / low mileage used-parts. Most of my stuff was brand-new on my last build, I don't think its necessary to buy new if used stuff works.

I used Zack, at 22RPD last time for the tune, it seemed like it was pretty good but I always had an intermittent misfire (I think it was anyway) at idle which I could never figure but it didn't bother me too much, AFRs were within range.

So my question is, what are you guys using for or recommend:
    • Compression?
      • I plan to run 93 again (highest we have here in VA). I noticed the copper spacer are hard to find right now. But I came across this and couldn't find much on them. It's an import product. The spacer is steel and it looks like two cut-ring gaskets are used on the bottom and top of the spacer, which is a new setup to me:

• And here is just the steel spacer:

• Or if anyone knows where the find the traditional stuff copper/ cut-ring that'd be awesome
      • Looks like ARP studs are still available, so that's great.

• Tranmission? Thoughts?
      • Throw in ZF swap with 6 puck? Any other options here?

• Top Mount Manifold (I want to keep AC and run a filter on the turbo)?
    • What's a good turbo for the m50?
      • I used a precision 6262 for the m52. I think I want to go ball-bearing this go around instead of Journal.

• Tunes? What's everyone using OBDI-wise these days?
      • What's cost effective here, I'm not sure I want to tune it myself. I remember the tune being the most expensive part at about $1500. . .

Any always, here some pictures. Ill be sure to post everything as I did last time. Appreciate the help from all of the experts here! This should be fun.

Hey we have moved to newer injectors for the customers with idle pops now. Seems to resolve the issues entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast