Thread: Eccentric Shaft Sensor

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i

Eccentric Shaft Sensor

For the last few weeks, my car (2011 328i, N52, 121,xxx miles) has struggled to start at times (sometimes takes 2-4 seconds). Battery was 4 years old, so I replaced it, registered it, and then tested and confirmed that the new battery and alternator were within spec.

My next thought was the starter, but then yesterday I got the following code from my scanner (Carly): 002A31, DME: Valvetronic, eccentric shaft sensor: guide.

I had the valve cover and eccentric shaft sensor replaced by a local Indy shop 2 years ago (leaking valve cover gasket), so I’m kind of surprised to see this code. Unfortunately, the Indy shop is permanently closed because the owner (also the lead BMW tech) passed away from COVID last year. I checked the invoice from that valve cover job, but did not see the eccentric shaft sensor listed, so I guess it’s possible they did not replace it even though they said they were going to.

I’ve also noticed some slight oil loss/consumption over the last 2,000 miles (I’ve had to top off 1/4 quart every 1,500 miles or so, which has not happened before). I don’t see or smell any oil (I was planning to check rear main seal when it gets warmer). This may be related or unrelated to the eccentric shaft sensor.

Because there are no reputable Indy shops within an hour and a half of me, I called a nearby dealer for a quote for replacing the eccentric shaft sensor. They said $1,900 just to get the valve cover off and that they will have to diagnose and may have to replace squirters, rockers, etc for up to $6,000 (lol).

I think I’m capable of DIYing the eccentric shaft sensor, but it would be the biggest job I’ve done yet. If I were to DIY, I would replace the valve cover along with the eccentric shaft sensor. If anyone has recommendations of anything else I would want to replace please let me know.

I’m also curious if anyone else has actually had to replace any other valve timing components besides Valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft sensor.

I am going to reach out to some Indy shops that are within a couple hours, too. I’m willing to pay for further diagnostics and repair, just not what the dealer quoted.

If anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience with this code I would appreciate any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cars:
    2011 BMW 328i
    2013 Mercedes GL350

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Another note: I pulled the engine cover today and found oil around the ESS port. I am going to clean it thoroughly with electrical cleaner and see if that solves it, but I’m fully prepared to have to replace it.
    Cars:
    2011 BMW 328i
    2013 Mercedes GL350

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i
    Update:

I decided to DIY the replacement of the eccentric shaft sensor. I also put on a new valve cover and gasket. I went with OEM parts from FCP Euro.

ESS replacement did not resolve the hard starting. I believe the culprit is the fuel pressure regulator (no fuel pump codes present, and the car starts right up when turning going to ignition 2 for a few seconds before starting).

ESS code listed in my original post was successfully cleared and has not come back.

Also, I’ve noticed that the idle is very clean. It wasn’t bad before, but it’s impeccable now.

This job was much easier than I anticipated. I did have a friend help get the new valve cover seated, which helped a lot. If you’re a moderate DIY’er and have any doubt about your ability to do this job (like I did), let this give you confidence that you can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cars:
    2011 BMW 328i
    2013 Mercedes GL350