Thread: 5 speed 528iT (Bert)

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

5 speed 528iT (Bert)

Yesterday I drove down to Salem, Oregon and traded my 99 CLK that I had gotten for $800 a few months back for this 2000 Factory 5 speed E39 Touring.

It has a blown head gasket but i pulled the head today and it doesn’t seem cracked.

Im gonna get it machined and order all new cooling system stuff, spark plugs, head gasket, head studs, and pretty much every other seal that goes on this thing. Change all the driveline fluids, etc. I’ll go get more pics of the interior and stuff later. Can’t wait to put miles on this baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fresco34; 01-31-2023 at 04:06 AM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Nice trade… the engine probably overheated. You might consider time-serting the block.
    Last edited by effduration; 04-03-2023 at 09:45 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Nice trade… the engine probably overheated. You might consider time-setting the head.
    I think you meant to say “time-certing the block”. If Fresco isn’t familiar with what happens with an overheat from a common cooling system failure, yes the head gasket fails. The more important result is that the headbolt threads in the alloy engine block will most likely not meet/hold the torque values when re-assembling the head on the engine. The proactive fix is to time-cert (thread insert) the block for a permanent fix.
    Yes, even with the head gasket issues, that looks like a nice “trade”.
    -Donny

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    I think you meant to say “time-certing the block”. If Fresco isn’t familiar with what happens with an overheat from a common cooling system failure, yes the head gasket fails. The more important result is that the headbolt threads in the alloy engine block will most likely not meet/hold the torque values when re-assembling the head on the engine. The proactive fix is to time-cert (thread insert) the block for a permanent fix.
    Yes, even with the head gasket issues, that looks like a nice “trade”.
    -Donny
    timesert.com
    Time-sert is the brand name...that's what I meant...I fixed my mis-spelling in my post.

Yes, since I own the Time-sert kit 1090 - designed specifically for the BMW M54 engine, I time-sert the engine whenever I remove the head. I kind of view the original, factory aluminum head bolt threads as one-time use, although that may not be true.

But I would DEFINITELY do it if the engine had overheated for the reasons you describe.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

5 speed 528iT (Bert)

Update 03/30/23~~~
    After I cleaned the head off more I realized the the head was cracked in 4 of the 6 cylinders.
    I bought a head off of ebay and the first one was cracked in only 2 cylinders this time, but still not worth fixing. I got my money back and ordered another and then had it machined.
    I didn’t do the time sert kit that ya’ll talked bout mostly cause i didn’t read this post again until today and i just didn’t think about it.

But my torque wrench read 110nm minimum on the last 90 on all of the headbolts so hopefully we’re good. If not ill just do it again but do it completely correctly.

I got a thicker headgasket, wired up a spal fan with a temp switch that i promise ill make prettier later, stewart water pump, brand new factory thermostat, new chain tensioners, replaced every gasket/seal i touched, new spark plugs, belt, tensioners, flushed the engine a whole bunch, new oil filter, got her started and then had a bunch of codes for shit. Had to replace the crank postion sensor, maf sensor, and found my vanos rattling and leaking through the pistons. So i bought a Dr.Vanos unit and then waited 3 weeks for it to get delivered.
    I threw it in real quick and finally got to drive this thang.
    I finished it after work and was tired so i didn’t take any pics exterior wise but i’ll update soon with some. It definitely still has some electrical issues, but i’ll take care of those on slow days like today. Nothing that affects driving though, and this thing drove like a dream. I [didn’t] forget how great the ZF is.
    Also, my car didn’t like unlocking, so sometime in the middle of waiting, i replaced the key battery and resynced it and now it works like a charm.
    I cut the fuck out of myself though.

Last edited by Fresco34; 03-31-2023 at 03:01 AM.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

Here is a photo of the drivers area though.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

Finally got to drive it off here.

My Cars
    2003 525it 2003 X5 4.6is
    I have 2003 wagon of same color in and out. Wish I had that gear set.
    I will always own a BMW.