BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: 1994 850CSi ~ Oxford Green Metallic over Black ~ 84,500 miles

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels

1994 850CSi ~ Oxford Green Metallic over Black ~ 84,500 miles

One of 1,510 worldwide and one of 225 imported to the United States, this car represents car #12 brought to The States and was thought to be the car featured at the 1994 North American International Auto Show. Recent, extensive work refreshed the fuel system, all fluids, headliner (now suede cloth), and added a set of PS4's. Aftermarket improvements include Brembo front calipers at the front, rotors at all four wheels, and a Supersprint exhaust. I'm early in the process. Hundreds of photos and an inspection are to come.

Inquire for price (see post below).

Please contact: properhistorics@gmail.com

Last edited by m3 bavaria; 06-16-2023 at 12:28 PM.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    Are you blowing up a collection or something? Saw your E34M on M5Board.
    Gorgeous example.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by m3 bavaria View Post
    ...thought to be the car featured at the 1994 North American International Auto Show.

You do know that is complete BS.
    This car was some sort of press car, but there is no reference to the NA Auto Shows.

Why Lie?
    Last edited by cartoonz; 02-06-2023 at 04:09 PM.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaZ3 View Post
    Are you blowing up a collection or something? Saw your E34M on M5Board.
    Gorgeous example.
    Thanks, I have way too many cars and while I love this one, I don't really fit in it. In the end, I'd like to turn 30 cars into 12-16.

Currently thinking of or committed to selling:

- 1991 E34 M5 1 of 1 Individual Color - Brocade Red / Black - 77,900 miles
    - 2003 E39 M5 - Silverstone / Black - 38,000 miles
    - 2001 E46 M3/6 - Carbon Black / Black - 43,000 miles
    - 2013 E92 M3/6 - Alpine / Black cloth - 13,000 miles
    - 2001 E38 740i Sport - Titanium / Black - 88,000 miles (in process)
    - 1994 E31 850CSi - Oxford Green / Black - 83,000 miles

Plus a bunch of other Euro cars...

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by cartoonz View Post

You do know that is complete BS.
    This car was some sort of press car, but there is no reference to the NA Auto Shows.

Why Lie?
    Ah, literacy and context: the two most uncommon traits found on a message board.

Key words: "thought to be"
    Source: Alec Cartio

According to Alec, the pinstripes are the give away. Do I know for a fact that it is/was? Not in the least, hence the qualifier "thought to be". My guess is that most people won't care about that part, but those who do will research on their own and come to their own conclusion. I did acquire a 1994 auto show guide in hopes of verifying this, but sadly, there weren't any live pictures in the guide.

It is worth noting that I have found Alex Cartio be far less than honest, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if what he told me was another misrepresentation, for what that's worth.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    While I may be a good many things, illiterate is not one of them.

Regardless of what you think Alec Cartio may have told you, he did not tell you this was an Auto Show car in 1994. I know this because I restored one of the 3 cars made expressly for the 3 NA Auto Shows in '94, and Alec knows exactly which cars these were - as they were all clearly designated as such on the build sheets and were all a very unusual color (Aqua Blau Metallic).

Your car, while designated as some kind of press photography vehicle, clearly does not show any designation for any of the Auto Shows on the build sheet from BMW.

So why not cut the bullshit? It is a nice car, but making stuff up and trying to arrogantly cover yourself with "thought to be" word parsing is just going to make you look bad. So maybe just take the hint and drop that line of BS?
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    I do love internet chat forums. This reminds me why I avoid these places like the plague.

Harold, for the sake of candor, it's worth noting that I just don't care about how I "look" to an internet blowhard. I'm well aware of who you are, how special you think you are, and of your business relationship with Alec. You, however, have no idea what he told me or why he told me what he told me as you weren't part of those conversations. Period. Given the string of inaccuracies he wrote in his description and spoke in his video, the shell game I dealt with between he and the actual seller/owner of the car, and the comedic responses to my concerns, it's not surprising in the least to learn that yet another aspect of this car was misrepresented.

Also, I think it's worth noting that an intentional use of words to allow for the possibility that the statement might be inaccurate isn't arrogant. If anything, it's transparent. I left the door open for the possibility that my claim wasn't accurate (because it's not documented) in the initial post. Then I agreed and accepted that it's possible that it wasn't featured at the show again in my second post (even agreed that it's improbable given what you have pointed out, which I simply didn't know until this post). Not once did I argue the point. Since you seem to know more than I do so, I'll defer to you. I'm just parroting what I was told by what turns out to be a shyster.

Last, as I said before, I really don't think anyone cares about the auto show representation. If they did, they would have paid more for your car, which despite all of the effort, time, and investment, sold poorly. Really poorly. Again, no one seems to care. If they do, they won't buy my car. Simple as that.

With that, I'll leave you to your fearless fighting with internet strangers to defend the honor of the car you sold but still claim as yours. Good luck mighty hero.
    Last edited by m3 bavaria; 04-14-2023 at 11:37 AM. Reason: engrish

My Cars
    Supercharged 850ci
    I am not familiar with this particular car, but looks like a great example!? Guys let's not get into it over minor details... GLWS!

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon850 View Post
    I am not familiar with this particular car, but looks like a great example!? Guys let's not get into it over minor details... GLWS!
    Thanks Dragon. I'm a sucker for Oxford Green, so this was an impulse purchase for me. As much as I love the car and the way it drives, I simply don't fit comfortably. I have ample leg room, but the seat just doesn't recline enough to fit my giant head.

So far, the car has received the following:

- a new headliner (many of the plastic parts underneath the headliner were broken and either taped together, or taped together and then fastened to the roof using double sided tape; so those broken pieces were replaced)
    - new Brembo pads and Brembo rotors for the front wheels (the car runs a Brembo GT brake kit, hence the Brembo parts)
    - new radiator fan clutch
    - new water pump
    - new Michelin PS4 tires
    - paint correction (which helped, but I don't feel the paint quality is near what was advertised when I bought the car, though others disagree with me)
    - ceramic window tint (not everyone's cup of tea, but I live in Texas, so it is what it is)

This week, I plan to take it to Dallas for wheel refinishing. I'm also trying to source a different exhaust, ideally an OEM unit but I have reached out to my preferred supplier, Eisenmann, and factory floor mats. From there, we'll see what else the car needs. The drive to Dallas should sort that out. So far the total spend has eclipsed $10,000. This will be a really, really nice driver. If I get into paint and restoration, it will be nicer than that. We'll see.

As always, best to reach me at: properhistorics@gmail.com if you're interested in this or other cars I'm selling from my collection.
    Last edited by m3 bavaria; 04-17-2023 at 11:34 AM.

My Cars
    91 850i-95 850csi- 94 85

Regardless of what you think Alec Cartio may have told you, he did not tell you this was an Auto Show car in 1994. I know this because I restored one of the 3 cars made expressly for the 3 NA Auto Shows in '94, and Alec knows exactly which cars these were - as they were all clearly designated as such on the build sheets and were all a very unusual color (Aqua Blau Metallic).

Your car, while designated as some kind of press photography vehicle, clearly does not show any designation for any of the Auto Shows on the build sheet from BMW.

So why not cut the bullshit? It is a nice car, but making stuff up and trying to arrogantly cover yourself with "thought to be" word parsing is just going to make you look bad. So maybe just take the hint and drop that line of BS?
    WOW harsh

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
    WOW harsh
    Truth, actually.

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 AASC

How about a Snickers?
    1988 635CSI Cosmo l 1994 318i Daytona Touring S54'd l 2003 540i Mtech
    2000 740i Alpinweiss Sport

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    Update: I'm having to invest a ton of money into the car given a number of undisclosed issues at the time of my purchase. Once the car is fully sorted, I'll be committed to keeping it or selling it. As of mid-June, I'm leaning towards selling the car but escalating the price by $10,000 or so.

As of today, the car has received:

- a new ultra-suede interior (the prior owner / seller claimed that the headliner was new but it the headliner literally blew out of the car on my maiden drive)
    - new sunroof and a-pillar parts (the seller had used double sided tape to affix the sunroof switch panel to the ceiling; the panel itself was cracked in half and missing tabs; the a-pillers were cracked in half too)
    - a new water pump (this apparently had been leaking for ages)
    - a new fan clutch
    - front pads and rotors (the car couldn't be driven because the rotors were so warped upon delivery)
    - refinished wheels at all (4) corners
    - new PS4's at all four corners (I opted for Euro sizing, so they look spot on)
    - 35% ceramic window tint on all windows (not to everyone's taste, but I'm trying to preserve the interior and I personally prefer the look)
    - paint correction
    - ceramic paint protection

Right now, I'm investigating fuel issues. I'm likely installing a new fuel pump and sender. Then we're on to the suspension to address those concerns. The headlights also need attention as well. Last, a forum member reached out regarding a different transaction. After chatting, he may be supplying an Eisenmann exhaust, which is my preferred maker for such parts.

Odd way to sell a car, I know, but since I was scammed so badly by Alec Cartio and Rapley Classic Cars, I don't want someone else to endure the same concerns. If and when I sell the car, I'll have addressed all concerns that I'm aware of or fully disclose any concerns that I wasn't able to address. I'll also welcome a PPI and inquiries to discuss the car. I'm being a bit flakey because this is turning into a really, really nice car. While I don't really fit in it (my head is pretty firmly in the ceiling), it's a joy to drive and with the work we've put into the exterior, it just looks outstanding.

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    Good luck with the sale. It looks like a great car. Too bad you had all those issues with your purchase.
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    Lots of Roundels
    Quote Originally Posted by gaspump View Post
    Good luck with the sale. It looks like a great car. Too bad you had all those issues with your purchase.
    They (CSI's) really are great cars. Once this is sorted, this copy will be a great one too. Sadly, after speaking with several other of Alec's buyers, it seems that misrepresentation is common and consistent.