Thread: Airbag problem. Help im at my wits end !!

My Cars
    Bmw m3 e46

Airbag problem. Help im at my wits end !!

Hello fellow my fellows e46 owners. Please help im really at the end of my rope with my airbag light. It’s been the bane of my life. Here’s a brief ish description. Ive owned the car nearly 20 years. 2002 m3 convertible. Build July 2002.

Just some facts which may help with my issues ?

The airbag light first appeared way back 10 years ago upon removal of the drivers door for repainting. I took the car to a garage local to me at the time and the situation was resolved , well so I thought. Fast forward a few years , I replaced the interior for a really nice clean rip free pair of heated seats. My car was non heated so i purchased the heated seat switch panel and had a guy wire them up for me which worked nicely. Then i changed the seats again for another pair of even better seats which were absolutely mint but unfortunately non heated which I was happy to live with. I then removed my clocks due to a pppppp error on the digital part of my dash.
    So i purchased a secondhand set of clocks which was coded to my car via another local garage which removed the tamper dot and matched up my mileage. Fab but tyhe garage in question said the airbag light was back on but they would resolve the issue for me. The car came back and the light was gone yay. Fast forward again.
    I purchased a carbon surround for the speedo clocks and as I stripped the cluster down to fit it i noticed something very odd. The airbag light had been tapped up yes your reading that right tapped up with black tape !!!! Unbelievably the garage hadn’t sorted the airbag light out they had just tapped the light up telling me they had coded it out.
    As you can believe being charged hundreds and hundreds of pounds to tape up a light has made me furious. So ive been on a mission to sort it out myself as I just do not trust anyone any more. I can see why they gave up but why not just say sorry we cannot do it and make money off me is just infuriating.

So here’s the issues.

When I connected to the car via INPA I had 10 codes. The normal old belt tensioners , both side airbags , seat back locking drivers , seat occupancy, airbag stage 2. So ive replaced both tensioners with brand new ones replaced the seat back switches , cable tied the plugs on the tensioners and cleaned the contacts even though they were clean and added a seat occupancy emulator, So i cleared the codes on inpa and then it came up no errors , so checked for errors and still no errors. So I turned off the ignition and switched it back on the airbag light appears again with 2 errors. So I Clear the codes light goes out , ignition off light comes back on again with 13 errors, clear codes ignition on light back on again with 4 codes. It’s like this all the time. Various numbers of errors all different each time. So Ive purchased a second hand airbag module and a fellow bmw enthusiast offered to help me code in a new airbag module , we remotely used NCS EXPERT but it will not let him do anything apparently he is saying the VO is invalid? He can’t seem to edit the VO he is saying the LEDH is causing it as its an invalid code ? I had my rear lights coded 10 years ago with no issues so we are stumped. Carnot use NCS EXPERT at all cannot get into the various modules. It reads the cars vin on the first part of the software but thats as far as we can get. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do ? I can note afford to go to bmw and a full rest isn’t possible as i have a ESS map as Im supercharged. The same thing is happening on pa soft lots of codes which clear ok then no errors then a whole list of 10 or more some times constantly changing. Any help or suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks in advance. Paul.

My Cars
    2006 Estoril Blue/Cin M3
    Have you put eyes of the airbag connectors to ensure that they are in fact, connected? You've had a lot of work done around airbags, including some where the connectors were probably disconnected at some point. You may to go to a shop that specializes in airbag replacements to have some testing done, given how long this has been put off and all the things done to the car.