Thread: SMG pump testing

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T

SMG pump testing

Can an E46 M3 SMG complete pump assembly be bench tested? I am particularly curious about testing/checking the electric motor.

I bought an 06 M3 SMG roller. I has been reassembled as a track car using a lot of stuff from my "damaged" 04 M3 manual car. (Hint --- tire wall) The roller came with an SMG gearbox, a pump relocation kit, and a spare SMG pump assembly. The car is assembled, sorted, and all functions well except one code (of no concern). I have no idea about the spare pump assembly -- and do NOT want to install it to test it.

Any thoughts?

If done properly, this would require a complicated experimental setup with a control computer and hydraulic installation.

A very simple test is to simply apply 12V DC to the pump motor and see if it runs. But be careful: the gear pump must never run dry. If the pump motor doesn't run, you can be sure it's broken. On the other hand, the mere fact that the pump motor is spinning does not guarantee that the pump motor is okay. Often these electric motors only fail under load or heat.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by domibln View Post
    If done properly, this would require a complicated experimental setup with a control computer and hydraulic installation.

A very simple test is to simply apply 12V DC to the pump motor and see if it runs. But be careful: the gear pump must never run dry. If the pump motor doesn't run, you can be sure it's broken. On the other hand, the mere fact that the pump motor is spinning does not guarantee that the pump motor is okay. Often these electric motors only fail under load or heat.
    Thanks. I assumed as much.

Up until this car (a 2006 M3 SMG roller) I knew nothing about them except what the interior looked like and their reputation. The car was on its wheels, missing engine, SMG gearbox where the passenger seat was, and as a "retired" track car was rather stripped. The donor was my 04 manual M3 (the succumbed to a tire wall). With almost NO available documentation, experience with 3 series BMWs (working on them for 15 years) as well as Google, forums, and FB, I now have a running functional 06 SMG M3 track car that needs very little (after receiving a LOT!!) to finish. Of usable spares are an SMG pump assembly, the bigger of the two engine harnesses, and a bunch of small stuff that was usable. Assuming all goes well once I can it tagged and driven, I'll swap pumps later to see how the spare is. Fortunately, it can with a complete relocation setup, so it will be relatively easy.

So --- question. Can the pump be spun up safely if removed from the assembly? If so, and it runs, then it's just seals, sensors, solenoid, a accumulator to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
    So --- question. Can the pump be spun up safely if removed from the assembly? If so, and it runs, then it's just seals, sensors, solenoid, a accumulator to worry about.
    If you run it for 1-2 seconds, nothing should happen. But again: the fact that the pump runs does not mean the pump motor is ok.

My Cars
    04 M3, 02 E39, 01 46 M3T
    Quote Originally Posted by domibln View Post
    If you run it for 1-2 seconds, nothing should happen. But again: the fact that the pump runs does not mean the pump motor is ok.
    Thx. Assumed as much. But, if it doesn't .... $$$ .. But, not as much as the cannister.