Thread: Front Seat belt buckle and rear bumper trim/guard center...................

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318i

Red face Front Seat belt buckle and rear bumper trim/guard center...................

Hello friends!

How difficult or easy is it to replace the passenger side front seat belt buckle of 1991 BMW 318i E30 M42 4-door 5-speed manual stick shift? Will I have to remove the seat to replace the buckle?

I also in need to replace the black rear bumper plastic trim/guard center.

I checked online and learned that these parts are very expensive even the used ones.Could anyone please tell me where to buy these parts for cheap? (Excluding the Junk Yards).

Thank you so very much in advance for your help, fellows!

Best regards
    K

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Learning View Post
    Hello friends!

How difficult or easy is it to replace the passenger side front seat belt buckle of 1991 BMW 318i E30 M42 4-door 5-speed manual stick shift? Will I have to remove the seat to replace the buckle?

it's bolted to the seat frame. shouldn't have to remove the seat

I also in need to replace the black rear bumper plastic trim/guard center.

I checked online and learned that these parts are very expensive even the used ones. Could anyone please tell me where to buy these parts for cheap? (Excluding the Junk Yards).

finding them at all will be the problem. the clips usually break on removal.

My Cars
    E30 Touring S52
    take the 4 bolts holding the seat out, lift up the seat and zip off the 17mm holding it on. FYI if you have and unltrasonic cleaner just put water and dish soap in it, get it nice and hot and let the thing soak in it for like 40 mins. Hit the ultrasonic cycle a couple times and cycle the button a bunch to knock all of the junk out of it, I bet you a shiny nickel that it'll come right back to life. Theres usually nothing wrong with them besides the 30+ years of gunk that has accumulated within them.

Just did it with my sticking buckles and they work flawlessly now. If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner buy one on amazon, it's cheaper than a new buckle and you'll be amazed by all the things it can clean in ways better than you ever knew possible.

I got this one and it's absolutely a game changer: Hihone 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, Stainless Steel Heated Ultrasound Cleaning Machine Digital Timer Temperature with Basket

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    I’d also undo the four bolts to move the seat around. It’s a little bit more involving, but much less annoying because of the easier access.
    Good opportunity to properly vacuum the carpet under the seat too btw..
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer1 View Post
    take the 4 bolts holding the seat out, lift up the seat and zip off the 17mm holding it on. FYI if you have and unltrasonic cleaner just put water and dish soap in it, get it nice and hot and let the thing soak in it for like 40 mins. Hit the ultrasonic cycle a couple times and cycle the button a bunch to knock all of the junk out of it, I bet you a shiny nickel that it'll come right back to life. Theres usually nothing wrong with them besides the 30+ years of gunk that has accumulated within them.

Just did it with my sticking buckles and they work flawlessly now. If you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner buy one on amazon, it's cheaper than a new buckle and you'll be amazed by all the things it can clean in ways better than you ever knew possible.

I got this one and it's absolutely a game changer: Hihone 6L Ultrasonic Cleaner, Stainless Steel Heated Ultrasound Cleaning Machine Digital Timer Temperature with Basket
    Perhaps, is it worth to try WD-40 because it says on the can "Free Sticky Mechanisms"?

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Perhaps, is it worth to try WD-40 because it says on the can "Free Sticky Mechanisms"?
    It probably won't help as the dirt will stay in there, and cleaning may become more difficult when you mix WD-40 in the gunk.
    (When you need something lubricated for the long run, you can better use oil over WD-40 by the way)
    I'd remove the buckle and clean it one way or the other.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i

wd-40 can permanently stain your carpet or bleach colour out in spots.