Thread: In need of completing my manual swap for my 99 528i

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

In need of completing my manual swap for my 99 528i

Hey i figured id start a new thread for this however i have been in the process of gathering parts and swapping them into my 99 528i(12/98 built 528i sedan) this car came originally with a GM 4speed automatic and I just threw a ZF 5speed manual out of a 98 528i i found at the local pick your part. So far the swap has been coming along somewhat smoothly with a few hiccups here and there, but everything is mechanically together. I have been reading up on forums about the wiring for the clutch switch, cruise control, and reverse switch, however i just feel overwhelmed with all of this information. Anyways i somewhat understand the basics of what needs to be done to complete this swap. However i am just not sure about how to properly go about doing so. Let me start with a break down of what i think is important to know about regarding the parts i have and my possible options i have thought about.

First for my parts i have collected. Brand new chase bays e46 stainless clutch line, Brand new stage 2 clutch kit with single mass flywheel.ZF 5speed trans with the metal plate that goes in between engine and trans as-well as the rear mounting bracket, shifter assembly, driveshaft, 2.93 diff(which i later welded) all out of a 98 528i sedan i found at the junkyard. pedal assembly which was from an 03 530 but i took apart and moved pieces onto my stock mounting bracket, for the clutch switch that goes onto the master cylinder it is from an 02 525i. And well for parts that it because i think thats all i need.Right?

now onto possible ways ive tried/ am thinking of trying to get the car running.
    1)Anyways after getting the car mechanically put together i began to do further research on the wiring while looking at the wiring i was working with and was just giving myself a headache. After a few minutes of thinking and planning i thought back to a youtube video i had watched (https://youtu.be/oJmEy_Y0psc) and more specifically the section where he talks about the wiring he is going to be doing. Anyways i thought if i just take the shifter mechanism which was bolted onto the old GM auto trans and just reconnect the 5pin out of 10pin circle connector back in i could manually adjust the position of that mechanism to change the gear and manually put it in park(which i did). I then connected the battery to see if i would be right and it would show that the car was in park(which it did) and i began to contemplate cranking the car up due to it being 9pm and me not having the exhaust bolted fully together. All i was checking was to see if it would start. And well nothing happened, i turned the key to the indent where it would normally turn the starter however nothing happened at the starter and i was a little confused why the car wouldn’t crank, however i think there is something else that would need to be wired(more specifically something to do with the starter or something related) or maybe something i could code out using ncsexpert or something like that if i wanted to do it this way.

2) The other thing i am considering and probably will end up doing is well wiring everything up properly. I know that i need to wire up the reverse switch, the cluster, the clutch switch, and i believe the cruise control however i was never able to get mine to work properly while i had the auto in. Now for this method i am almost completely lost because i tried to refer to a different video (https://youtu.be/661e2CIQLFE) however in this one it seems alot of the wiring he is working with is wayyyy different then how it is on my car.

if there is anyone who can help me figure out what and where exactly i need to wire everything to that would greatly appreciated. Aswell as any wiring diagrams which will help me based on what i am working with.
    I am also going to need to recode the dme and will need instructions on doing that aswell. i hear that getting a retune for the ecu is also a good idea would you guys recommend this aswell.

However i believe this is everything that i have to mention/ say as of now, i will be working or trying to work on the car tomorrow however as of now i am kind of at a road block. Anyways i will try to add any photos and again any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I responded to your other thread with specific wiring suggestions.

An E39 I6 manual swap is pretty well documented. There is no reason to try and hack it or trick it...You should do it right..it is pretty easy.

Access to wiring diagrams is a big help. I have not accessed them but I think BMWteka.com is one source I am told. You can also usually find the specific wiring diagram by searching on it .. " E39 clutch switch wiring diagram".... Please note there is a pre-'01 clutch wiring diagram and a post '01 wiring diagram...and you are using a post '01 switch on your pre-'01 car, but I explain how to do it in the other thread.

My Cars
    79 242, 99 528iT, 11 TSX