Thread: Storms caused large leak- need to assess window issues

My Cars
    95' M3,

Storms caused large leak- need to assess window issues

Hey guys, the socal storms sprung a leak in my e36 coupe in the back passenger side and filled the footwell with water, that carpet backing foam pad is just completely soaked and I have been messing around with trying to dry it out as efficiently as I can with vacuums and towels. Not wanting to pull the carpet for obvious reasons. I think I figured out what the main culprit was, me not fully latching the rear vent window... ops. That being said I also have been dealing with my passenger side window not rolling up or down at all and was wondering what might be the cause. I know the regulators have issues but this seems a little different that that. The function of the window dropping 1/4in when opening the door does not work on that side and also when using the window switch, of course the window does not go up or down. I do however hear the motor try to engage, like a little click sound that happens once just when hitting the switch in either the up or down direction. Any guidance on fast ways to clear the water out of the carpet foam as well as maybe what is causing the binding(?) in the window rolling up or down would be much appreciated!

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    could be sunroof drains. Pull back the side trunk liners and see if water is pooling up

My Cars
    ∞FX37,M3a/4,94 332
    You have to pull the front seat(s) and lift the carpet up so the water will drain out of the foam.
    [IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    What year is your car? The door striker has a micro switch that usually fails. Check the inner area to see if the "switch" is stuck inside. This allows the windows to go up/down when the door is open/closed.

My driver's motor sometimes get stuck due to not being used (I hear the clicking like you). Luckily I have the door panels off because I'm thinking of painting the car and I tap/hit the motor in one hand with a rubber mallet with the door open while the other hand pushes the micro switch in/out. Only takes a couple of hits before the motor engages and the window works again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1996 Turbo M3, 97 M3
    I've been fighting this on mine for a bit. I've got a leak from the firewall that's causing water to pool in the same spot, so don't just assume it's from something right there, it can make it's way to the back. There are a number of possibilities from sunroof drains, doors, windows or firewall. It fucking sucks so I feel your pain. You really need to pull the seat, trim around the door, and the seatbelt brace so that you can lift the carpet up. This will also help you figure out if it's coming from further up, in which case you might even need to pull the gas pedal off to get under there. The other thing that really sucks is that the carpet is basically a sponge under it so it takes forever to dry. Once I got the standing water out I would wedge towels under the carpet to help draw some of the water out where i can't get a shop vac to suck the water out. Then with as much of the carpet lifted out of the ways I would stick a PVC pipe all the way to the firewall then run a fan with a heater blowing into it to help get air circulation to the front of the carpet. I hope in your case it's more localized, but because of the sponge nature of the carpet backing it'll still get sucked up over a fairly large swath. In the end it just takes time and good airflow to dry it out, and make sure you get it completely dried out before putting everything back together. Hope that helps
    ****Official E36 M3 Addict****
    -96 Estoril M3 Built S52 w/ GTX3576R/Schricks &Technica Motorsports Tuning & Lots of Other Goodies currently under construction(Forever)
    -97 Cosmos, OEM+

-97 Silver M3/4/5, 95 Daytona Voilet M3, 95 Black M3 , 98 Estoril 4Dr & 99 Estoril 2Dr, 92 318i Vert - Pandemic Ward Victims

My Cars
    95' M3,
    Quote Originally Posted by Veleno View Post
    What year is your car? The door striker has a micro switch that usually fails. Check the inner area to see if the "switch" is stuck inside. This allows the windows to go up/down when the door is open/closed.

My driver's motor sometimes get stuck due to not being used (I hear the clicking like you). Luckily I have the door panels off because I'm thinking of painting the car and I tap/hit the motor in one hand with a rubber mallet with the door open while the other hand pushes the micro switch in/out. Only takes a couple of hits before the motor engages and the window works again.
    The car is a 95, the switch is there and pressing it and letting it go allows for the driver side pinch feature if you wanna call it that to work, but does nothing to the passenger side annoyingly. My panels need to be removed since I'm having that issue where the top plastic piece with the clips is failing and causing issues with easily locking my door because of the panel causing resistance to the locking rod. I'll try the hammer idea to just give it a shot, but yeah given that i can hear the motor attempting to work its telling me something seems off with maybe alignment or something silly where I hopefully don't need to replace that or the regulator.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cool2seat View Post
    I've been fighting this on mine for a bit. I've got a leak from the firewall that's causing water to pool in the same spot, so don't just assume it's from something right there, it can make it's way to the back. There are a number of possibilities from sunroof drains, doors, windows or firewall. It fucking sucks so I feel your pain. You really need to pull the seat, trim around the door, and the seatbelt brace so that you can lift the carpet up. This will also help you figure out if it's coming from further up, in which case you might even need to pull the gas pedal off to get under there. The other thing that really sucks is that the carpet is basically a sponge under it so it takes forever to dry. Once I got the standing water out I would wedge towels under the carpet to help draw some of the water out where i can't get a shop vac to suck the water out. Then with as much of the carpet lifted out of the ways I would stick a PVC pipe all the way to the firewall then run a fan with a heater blowing into it to help get air circulation to the front of the carpet. I hope in your case it's more localized, but because of the sponge nature of the carpet backing it'll still get sucked up over a fairly large swath. In the end it just takes time and good airflow to dry it out, and make sure you get it completely dried out before putting everything back together. Hope that helps
    Sounds like a total nightmare overall annoyingly, hopefully I can get it dry here fast, just the idea of the dampness and water there is freaking me out!

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cfletch13 View Post
    The car is a 95, the switch is there and pressing it and letting it go allows for the driver side pinch feature if you wanna call it that to work, but does nothing to the passenger side annoyingly. My panels need to be removed since I'm having that issue where the top plastic piece with the clips is failing and causing issues with easily locking my door because of the panel causing resistance to the locking rod. I'll try the hammer idea to just give it a shot, but yeah given that i can hear the motor attempting to work its telling me something seems off with maybe alignment or something silly where I hopefully don't need to replace that or the regulator.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a total nightmare overall annoyingly, hopefully I can get it dry here fast, just the idea of the dampness and water there is freaking me out!
    There's a micro switch on the passenger door striker, you need to see what condition its in (The passenger's window up/down feature is not controlled by the driver's side micro switch).

Remove the passenger's seat, put a fan or blower, and let it dry out. If you can stick a rod or stick between the carpet/foam and floor pan to lift the carpet/foam it will make it dry faster.

My Cars
    95' M3,
    There's a micro switch on the passenger door striker, you need to see what condition its in (The passenger's window up/down feature is not controlled by the driver's side micro switch).

Remove the passenger's seat, put a fan or blower, and let it dry out. If you can stick a rod or stick between the carpet/foam and floor pan to lift the carpet/foam it will make it dry faster.
    I'll specify what I had meant, my mistakes. What I had meant was that when clicking the little switch on the passenger side, the driver side drop function works, but the passenger side does not. I have the panel off, but I'm not sure what to really look for. Have been looking at videos online but so far not coming across much. I tested the motor and switch more since the panel is off and the motor wants to work for both up and down function, yet it just will not actually move. Any other suggestions?

My Cars
    '95 E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by cfletch13 View Post
    I'll specify what I had meant, my mistakes. What I had meant was that when clicking the little switch on the passenger side, the driver side drop function works, but the passenger side does not. I have the panel off, but I'm not sure what to really look for. Have been looking at videos online but so far not coming across much. I tested the motor and switch more since the panel is off and the motor wants to work for both up and down function, yet it just will not actually move. Any other suggestions?
    When you say you're clicking (pushing in/out?) the little switch on the passenger side, you're referring to the micro switch in the passenger door striker correct? If yes, the driver's window should not be doing anything as it is not connected to the passenger door micro switch.
    Did you try to tap/hit the motor with a rubber mallet while pressing the micro switch in/out? Keep tapping/hitting it while pushing the micro switch in/out to see if it'll get it loose (give it a good whack! lol).
    Worst case since it has not worked for a while and the micro switch is not triggering it to raise/lower the glass it could very well be the regulator/motor, regardless of the ticking sound you're hearing.

My Cars
    95' M3,
    When you say you're clicking (pushing in/out?) the little switch on the passenger side, you're referring to the micro switch in the passenger door striker correct? If yes, the driver's window should not be doing anything as it is not connected to the passenger door micro switch.
    Did you try to tap/hit the motor with a rubber mallet while pressing the micro switch in/out? Keep tapping/hitting it while pushing the micro switch in/out to see if it'll get it loose (give it a good whack! lol).
    Worst case since it has not worked for a while and the micro switch is not triggering it to raise/lower the glass it could very well be the regulator/motor, regardless of the ticking sound you're hearing.
    Yes that is what I am referring to, the little micro switch in the body side of the door latch on the passenger side. When using engaging that switch with my finger while the passenger side door is open, it will do nothing to the passenger side. I will hear a little click coming from the motor as if it wants to move, but that is it. The driver side door window does move however when I depress that switch on the passenger side door.

My Cars
    E36 M3, W204 C63, etc et
    Replace the rubber gasket and the striker plate/micro switch. I used electrical tape to add "depth" to my previous M3 as a ghetto fix but every bump i hit the window would go up and down so bought these.
    Plenty of DIYs but IIRC there was a nut or something on the other side of the striker that dropped into the body after I had unscrewed it and I had to use a magnet to fish it out.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51218105511/
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51218124668/

My Cars
    BMW M3
    I would say the cause here is you window motor gear or regulator.

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    I would say the cause here is you window motor gear or regulator.
    I second that. just had to bite the bullet and get a replacement oem regulator. Not cheap nor fun to do but get it from FCP euro and you have a lifetime warranty