Thread: Beware of Fake Carbon Fiber Parts at JL Motoring

My Cars
    E92 M3, E70 X5

Beware of Fake Carbon Fiber Parts at JL Motoring

Had to replace a full-carbon RF Carbon GTS lip that the car came with, following the wife driving it into and onto a parking curb. I always back in, and hadn’t really ever worried about it, but they’re killers. The curbs, that is, LOL. Shopped around, and found that RF is out of stock until late February, so kept looking and ended up with JL Motoring out of Walnut, CA. I actually called, and verified that they had the item in stock, and that it was, as their website claims, REAL Carbon Fiber:

https://jl-motoring.com/products/bmw...iber-front-lip

Issues right away. One, they didn’t have it in stock. About a week later, they shipped it, but integrity violation #1. Received it, and immediately noticed how heavy the package was. And here we go… HEAVY, cheaply molded fiberglass, with no screw holes or any other guides, FRONT wrapped only in a cheap 2X2 skin and heavily clear-coated. Integrity violation #2. Think a fleaBay lip, for $129 shipped. But this was a FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAR, plus tax and shipping for nearly $500, advertised as real CF.
    They have avoided my emails so far, and are playing dumb. They sent me a link to a GT4 lip that apparently is full CF, but nothing about my V2. Shameful, and will work to have Amex yank this transaction. Bottom line, do your research…

My Cars
    1995 e36 325is
    Dear Borderchris,

Thanks for sharing this experience and warning others.

This behavior from manufacturers, no mounting holes especially, is callous and shows no care for the customer. I've had a similar experience with a different manufacturer & thought it truly terrible for a company to not only act like it isn't their fault, but then tell me to just drill the holes myself.

Hope your chargeback goes through, don't back down!

Thanks,
    BrokenBimmer22