Thread: M20 320i Oil leak from upper front of engine with photos

My Cars
    1990 320i SE Coupe

M20 320i Oil leak from upper front of engine with photos

Hi all, I have a 320i coupe with just 74k miles which has this fairly persistent oil leak, runs perfect and looses very little... a drip or two every 24hrs, but I would really like to get it sorted as everything else is spot on.

I have cleaned it all down now but just hoping someone may be able to suggest where I could start looking, the main engine gaskets look fine and the filters not leaking, it looks to be coming from the front upper engine block area just in front of the exhaust manifold?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Typical places for a leak like that are in this order:

Valve cover
    Rocker shaft seals
    Camshaft seal

Pull off the dizzy and look behind it to check for leaks.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    yup those are the three that would do it. dig down to the camshaft seal and replace the other two on the way.

My Cars
    1990 320i SE Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 82eye View Post
    yup those are the three that would do it. dig down to the camshaft seal and replace the other two on the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

Typical places for a leak like that are in this order:

Valve cover
    Rocker shaft seals
    Camshaft seal

Pull off the dizzy and look behind it to check for leaks.
    Excellent, thank you both for the replies :-) I have removed the splash guard tray and spent the day degreasing and cleaning so the block and head are clean now.

I've ordered some UV dye and a black light torch so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. It looks like there is already a bit if seepage around the front corner where the block meets the head so probably going to need a new head gasket too.

richardodn is offline Old Guy BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    20 440ix cab, 12 X3 35ix
    Quote Originally Posted by MatBiscuits View Post
    Excellent, thank you both for the replies :-) I have removed the splash guard tray and spent the day degreasing and cleaning so the block and head are clean now.

I've ordered some UV dye and a black light torch so hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. It looks like there is already a bit if seepage around the front corner where the block meets the head so probably going to need a new head gasket too.
    That's probably just oil from above that's dripped down and seeped along the seam. The most likely spot for a head gasket oil leak is on the exhaust side of the engine between the #3 and 4 cylinders. It'll look like a slightly dirtier area dripping down the side of the block.
    "Howdy, Folks!"

1986 Delphin 528e - Roof rack equipped lumber hauler.
    1989 Zinnoberrot 325iX Sedan - I miss this car. (Deceased)
    1998 Avus Blau 328iC - Someone else's project now
    2008 Platinum-Beige X3 3.0si - Current project
    2012 Alpine White X3 xDrive35i - My new snowmobile.
    2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio - This car is a blast to drive.

My Cars
    325is, 96 M3 Euro
    my guess is the valve cover, but while you are there the D bungs should be replaced all quite cheap and simple. if that doesnt cure it then wait for the next TB to invesigate further if its a small leak.

when doing the VC gasket check the rocker shaft lock is seated correctly as the VC can get hung up. i use a very light skim of non hardening aviation cement on the gasket and a bit of black RTV on the D bungs Also use a torque wrench to torque the nuts and check them a few times after heat cycling a few times as the gasket relaxes and bolts loses some tension
    Last edited by digger; 01-06-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    BMW E30 325is M20B33 in the making....... ITB's, roller rockers and stroked to the hilt

My Cars
    87 325
    After you reseal the whole motor try some RTV (Grey Right Stuff) on that top M6 bolt holding timing cover on going into cylinder head.

My Cars
    1990 320i SE Coupe
    Just wanted to report back and say thanks for all the guidance, turned out there was three leak locations haha! The dye worked a treat, rocker cover, front cam seal and the bottom oil pressure sensor. All stripped down, cleaned up, I fitted a new timing belt, water pump, cam seal, rocker gasket, thermostat, belts, oil and filter change, spark plugs and D plugs.

Now absolutely spot on, a week of running and not a single leak... hurrah! Thanks again.