Thread: Auto AC - It's working correctly?

My Cars
    323ti

Unhappy Auto AC - It's working correctly?

How does automatic air conditioning work on the bmw F30/F34?
    Does the Auto function not control ventilation?
    In other cars I've had with automatic air conditioning (single or dual zone) the ventilation was automatically controlled (with or without the ac on), it started out stronger and went down as the temperature in the cabin went down.
    On my 2017 320i GT (F34) this does not occur.
    There is no variation in fan intensity. I have to change it manually if I want the cab cooling to be more efficient and the temperature go down faster. That's so annoying.

My Cars
    2005 330 Ci
    My 2020 F32 does the same thing. "Auto" doesn't seem to do much. No fan speed change from whatever you set manually. When the cabin gets cold with fan on high, I'll adjust the temp up a few degrees, and the heat comes on my feet to get to the new desired temp. WTF.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The fan setting you choose is the maximum intensity that the fan will blow, it will/should actually reduce the speed over time.

The other functions are various blending of warm/cool air from other areas to keep the cabin temperature comfortable.
    It's not a 1 button auto as much as a configurable auto. It's different, sure.

In the cold, especially, I appreciate it, because it will keep cabin temp correct, while being able to blow cool air to the front vents, etc.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Ditto 328 Power 04. You may need to go back to your owners manual and reread the description of the auto climate system. Back in the e46 era…the AUTO climate system did perform like the 1st few posts discussed. But BMW changed the fan setting to an INTENSITY operating parameter. For those that don’t like to hear the fan blow loudly…they can set the intensity level lower….thus the fan speed will not get loud…but it may take longer for the cabin to reach the set temp (like in hot ambient temps) unless you use the MAX setting (do you all still have that button?). If you feel your blower doesn’t run fast enough in AUTO mode…check to see what intensity level you have the fan speed set to. Raise it if you’d like to have more…the fan will blow at that intensity then turn down as the set temp is met.

BMW also still uses a stratified air system which usually confounds many BMW owners. The stratified air dial used to be on the center dash vent…on some of the newer F & G models…it has been incorporated into a MENU button on the IHKA…but the stratified air dial allows you to temper the air warmer/cooler without changing the set temp on the IHKA control panel. It can come in handy when there are odd climate conditions that can make the system customizable…by tempering the air from the dash vents but maintaining the set temp. That way you don’t hav to keep changing the temp making the system overhaul what it was doing. If you start to feel hotter, you can move the stratified air dial into the blue and cooler air will blow from the dash vents. If the temp drops and you start to feel chilled, you can move the stratified air dial into the red and warmer air will blow from the dash vents.

Again, those that feel they need to keep changing the fan speed in AUTO mode…check to see the intensity setting you have for the fan speed. If it is low…then raise it higher.

(From owners manual)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-16-2023 at 05:08 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)