Thread: 1999 328I Convertible battery issues

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible

1999 328I Convertible battery issues

Hi Guys,

My first post - Happy New Year to all !

So it seems that a lot of 'first posts' here are 'oh shit' moments, and I definitely have one of those.

I should say I'm in OZ so some terms might seem a little odd - ie: 'boot' = 'trunk' etc....lol

I've 'inherited' the above mentioned car - a '99 328i Convertible. It's done a few k's - 260K odd, but really a nice car.

It's still registered, but runs out of rego in a short while, so I'm under pressure to get it moving. Since it's been parked for approx 8 months (as far as we know) without moving, the battery has gone flat. We've tried jump starting it using the positive terminal under the bonnet, but the battery seems to be so dead it's possibly internally shorted and won't allow current. Actually we don't seriouly know whether there is a battery in the boot. Using the terminals under the bonnet with jump cables (and a plug in starter power supply) wakes up the dash, power windows etc, but the starter just clicks like the battery is dead.

So we need to get to the battery...........

but, the lock in the boot lid doesn't operate. It's not locked - we have the key, but it just presses in and doesn't seem to engage on anything. I've been told it's a power lock, and as per the above, we've attached power without success in operating the boot lock. I climbed into the back seat to pull it out, and found a 'new' lock mechanism in a bag on the floor, so the previous owner knew the boot lock mechanism was non-operative.

So I've removed the rear seat base, rear seat headrests, rear seat backrest, and reat seat 'pass through port plug' to look for a cable release in the boot - but there doesn't seem to be one on the boot lid.

What am I missing ? How do I open the boot to get to the battery when the power lock doesn't work, the lock mechanism doesn't engage, and there doesn't seem to be a boot release in the boot ?

I can see the boot lock attachment point in the boot and I've even removed the bolts (using a 1 metre 1/2in extension bar) but the boot still won't release.

In my eagerness I pulled on the roof motor release lever under the seat thinking that was the remote boot release - so now the roof won't operate.

Any ideas ? Petrol and a match ?

It's not my car really - didn't cost me anything, and I've already spent three days on it - after already buying a new battery, only to find that I can't get to the battery, so if I can't get the battery replaced the car is probably going to the wreckers.

I'd really appreciate any tips before I take the next drastic step.

Regards
    Justin
    Last edited by shogun; 01-01-2023 at 02:02 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Hopefully these pics show the inside of the boot. Not that it helps the diagnosis much though, but there doesn't appear to be a pull cable for the boot release.

bmw 328i resize boot left.jpgbmw 328i resize boot right.jpg

Cheers

Justin
    Last edited by jberth1; 12-31-2022 at 11:35 PM.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    looks like some plastic is jammed in the lock mechanism. That is what's stopping it from opening. You will either need to get that out OR you can remove he 2 bolts you can see below the mechanism. That's what the lid/boot is held down by.

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by B328iC View Post
    looks like some plastic is jammed in the lock mechanism. That is what's stopping it from opening. You will either need to get that out OR you can remove he 2 bolts you can see below the mechanism. That's what the lid/boot is held down by.
    Looks like I'll be doing this soon.

https://youtu.be/nyoxFP1XDWM

Cheers

Justin<a href="https://youtu.be/nyoxFP1XDWM" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The trunk lid and the storage lid for the roof have an interlock that prevents either from opening is the other is not closed and latched. If the car thinks that the roof storage cover is not closed and latched, the trunk will not open. Press down on the right side corner of the roof storage cover and listen for a solenoid to be energized. This solenoid engages and disengages the linkage that lets the button of the trunk lid to operate.

The trunk lid also has a Valet Mode that prevents the trunk lock from operating. The trunk lock will allow the key to be removed with the key position vertical or horizontal. Turn the key in the trunk lock to the left then back to vertical, this will unlock the trunk if locked, and cause the trunk lock to work with the door locks -- the trunk will be locked and unlocked with the doors. Turn the key to the right and the trunk will be locked until you turn the key back to the left. You can turn the key to the right and remove it, then the trunk cannot be opened by the valet. The keys have a groove cut down the center, this is the "normal" key, and there is one without the groove, this is the valet key. The valet key cannot open the trunk or the glove compartment. I had my E36 for almost 20 years and I left the trunk lock in the vertical position so that the trunk was locked or unlocked at the same time as the doors. I never used the valet feature.

My Cars
    1997 328iC, 2003 Z4
    You can try that but if the plastic is jammed in the mechanism it's entirely possible that way won't work either.

My Cars
    1999 328i Convertible
    Well, it looks like it was YouTube to the rescue !!

Finally had a chance to attack the crazy old German thing today....

I'm finally in to the boot, replaced the battery, and it started right up......mostly.

I can't believe this isn't a more common problem that no-one seemed to know about here. It's the most ridiculous piece of engineering I've ever seen.

Oh yes, a voltage test on the old battery showed just on 3 volts - hence the reason it wouldn't jump start I'm guessing.

The boot lock is 3 parts.

The solenoid which electrically acts on the boot lock by acting on a rod connected to the key lock - the plastic pivot point had literally turned to dust and the rod had fallen out of the joint - hence the electric unlocking wasn't ever going to work.

The key lock connects to the latch by another link rod - which also goes into a second plastic pivot - this had also turned to dust and hence the mechanical connection from the lock to the latch had failed.

So in the end the only way was to drill the hole, pull up on the latch - and I was in to the boot. I've used the spare lock I found to source the 'new' plastic pivots and it's all connected again.

I've now replaced the number plate and frame - after smoothing the hole and using a rubber grommet to seal the hole - and you can't see the grommet at all !

I hope this helps someone in future !

bmw 328i resize boot lid hole.jpgbmw 328i resize boot open.jpgbmw 328i resize boot lid lock.jpg

Cheers

Justin