Thread: New Owner - 2003 E85 5 Sp

My Cars
    2003 E85

New Owner - 2003 E85 5 Sp

Just purchased. Was in the Bay Area (Calif). I live in the central valley so it will be eating some bugs this spring . First time I've paid cash for a car so no payments! It's got some issues but 'seems' mechanically sound.
    No history in CARFAX other than smog and registration. It's a one owner car and has been in San Jose area it's whole life. It came with a factory cover and I found an old insurance card - USAA. I've got USAA too and know that back in the day you had to be an officer in the military to be a member. Also remnants of a Cal Berkly badge on the rear. I'm thinking a ROTC program student when purchased? Driver bolster showing minimum wear.
    Headlights, both side mirrors and front/rear badges on order.

So let me play the newbie card with some questions.

Yes it's 20 years old so should I preemptively change some hoses/belts?

It had a musty smell when I drove home. Carpet felt moist so when I got it home I pulled the seats. Passenger side was fine. Driver side - puddles under the carpet. I got as much as I could with towels and such. The 'sponge' parts were fun - not. Then left it exposed with a fan to dry it out for 2 days. it was all in the front part on the drivers side. So.... Ideas as to where it came from?

Front tires have lug locks. Dealer didn't have the key and nowhere in the car. It's a uniform shape like a torx with 50 sides? My wife's Mini has a similar one. Her key is the same shape but too big to fit.

Let's stop there - Pics link

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KafDzeXEDtFrGDr48.

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Make sure the drains in the bottom of the convertible top well are cleared. The water should drain out in front of the rear wheel wells. Take the plastic off the front of the wheel wells and make sure the plastic plugs under there are clear as well.

Mine was also soaked inside. Had a lot of gunk to clear out. Took a while to dry. Still kinda musty.

Good looking car!
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2003 2.5 BMW Z4
    Per your picture of your headlights. The rubber seal on the end caps have most likely failed. Please see part #7: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_0758.

You should consider ordering new part 7's (are they both that way) or purchase silicone grease, non-Harding and apply it to the rubber seal on the end caps you now have. When you remove the end caps use a hair dryer to get the water out of the headlight. Over time if you do nothing this water may damage the headlights.

Consider buying a BMW code reader and running it on the car to check for hidden potential issues.

My Cars
    2004 Z4, 1700 Nomad MC
    Under the “door card” on the drivers interior door… is a plastic sheet.. which is designed to prevent water ingress. If torn at bottom the water can enter the car. Torn door gasket can also direct water into interior as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 E85
    Pulled the cowl. Lots of leaves and stuff but didn't look like anything that'd cause it to flood the interior.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dezgqU2wybbNXSaE6

I'll pull the door card this coming weekend. Hoping I'll see something obvious. I hate it when you have an issue and you fix things that you 'think' caused it but nothing obvious.
    Steve Berry
    2003 E85, 1962 Ford Econoline

My Cars
    z3
    I would check the drains for the top, as others have mentioned. Those are the most common source for leaks on this model

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 E85
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I would check the drains for the top, as others have mentioned. Those are the most common source for leaks on this model
    Are there specific front drains for the top. I don't see how the rear ones would get the front of the driver side wet. It was only wet in the front of the driver footwell. Under the seat was moist and rear driver side was dry.
    Steve Berry
    2003 E85, 1962 Ford Econoline