Thread: STOP LEAK for Power steering/Brake boost System 84 E23 733i

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

STOP LEAK for Power steering/Brake boost System 84 E23 733i

Stop leak product for power steering hydraulic system

** I posted this in the e23 forum but responses are few and far between for E23's!****

preface: 1984 E23 733i with power steering and brake boost hydraulic system that uses ATF in brake booster and power steering

Hello all, I have ATF leaks on my Power steering pump and steering gear assembly. It's gonna be pricey for replacements so I'm thinking of using an ATF STOP LEAK product in the meantime. Has anyone had success with this in the hydraulic brake boost/power steering system? Is it likely to damage or cause issues with my booster, bomb or anything else?
    Second question, if I do use a stop leak product, should I use "ATF STOP LEAK" or "HYDRAULIC OIL STOP LEAK"? I'm thinking the hydraulic oil stop leak might be more effective since ATF stop leak is designed for transmissions.
    Please let me know what you guys think about this!
    Thanks!!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    instead of trying a stop leak product, send you brake booster and the power steering pump to Jay for repair of these parts, https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
    or buy the repair kit from him for the E23 https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...NpZDRQVHlGal9n
    stop leak additives do two things, they soften the seals + cause them to swell. It actually will cause every seal + gasket in the system to do this, if they need it or not, and at some point it will stop the leak, temporarily.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Thanks Shogun!
    I replied to your response the day you posted but I'm not sure where it is! I already had Jay do the booster which was a great success, unfortunately he doesn't do the power steering gear on e23's which is where my biggest leak is from. There are plenty of used power steering gear boxes I can try, but being used who knows the condition. I want to get the Power steering pump and steering gear done at the same time, but I need to locate a steering gear box first. So of course this is my rational for trying stop leak in the meantime. I was curious if there is potential for more damage by using the product. I'm also curious if I should use ATF stop leak or Hydraulic oil stop leak. If you have an opinion on that please let me know. Thanks again!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Embryos View Post
    Thanks Shogun!
    I replied to your response the day you posted but I'm not sure where it is! I already had Jay do the booster which was a great success, unfortunately he doesn't do the power steering gear on e23's which is where my biggest leak is from. There are plenty of used power steering gear boxes I can try, but being used who knows the condition. I want to get the Power steering pump and steering gear done at the same time, but I need to locate a steering gear box first. So of course this is my rational for trying stop leak in the meantime. I was curious if there is potential for more damage by using the product. I'm also curious if I should use ATF stop leak or Hydraulic oil stop leak. If you have an opinion on that please let me know. Thanks again!
    Why not replace the offending seal(s) on the steering box? It ain't rocket science.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Why not replace the offending seal(s) on the steering box? It ain't rocket science.
    digging a ditch aint rocket science either but its hard to make time to do it! Its daunting for me without a good reference, I imagine it is out there somewhere but I haven't found it yet. But yes this would be ideal.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Invest some money for a good repair book like the Bentley repair manual for your BMW model, hundreds of pages and illustrations
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!