Thread: BMW 2003 530i crank but no start

My Cars
    2003 530i e39

BMW 2003 530i crank but no start

Hey guys my car was running perfectly fine about 4 days ago, didn’t drive it for about a day or 2 when I came back to turn it on where it would only crank but wouldn’t turn on. Anyone know the fix to this and if it’s a major issue?

My Cars
    2003 530i e39
    I would like to add on that I also turned it on with a cold start just to move it a few yards (out of my driveway) then turned it off. After that I didn’t touch the car for 2 days and when I came back it cranks but just doesn’t want to start

My Cars
    528I
    My fixer upper would crank but not start. Turned out that the fuel pump was bad. I changed that and the filter and it started. Check on youtube for a walk through on issues like this.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Does it catch at all or just turn over?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru

sounds like bore wash

Quote Originally Posted by MovinTooFast View Post
    I would like to add on that I also turned it on with a cold start just to move it a few yards (out of my driveway) then turned it off. After that I didn’t touch the car for 2 days and when I came back it cranks but just doesn’t want to start
    This scenario is not that rare. Cranking and running these engines for a very brief moment can result in too much fuel ending up in the cold cylinders, which washes away the oil film on the cylinder walls and ruins compression, especially when you try to start them again.

Search around but I believe your easiest fix will be to remove the plugs and squirt about 10 cc (about 2 teaspoons) of engine oil into each cylinder to get compression back.
    Last edited by pleiades; 12-30-2022 at 11:20 AM.

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    This scenario is not that rare. Cranking and running these engines for a very brief moment can result in too much fuel ending up in the cold cylinders, which washes away the oil film on the cylinder walls and ruins compression, especially when you try to start them again.

Search around but I believe your easiest fix will be to remove the plugs and squirt about 10 cc (about 2 teaspoons) of engine oil into each cylinder to get compression back.
    sorry to say this but this is one of the stupidest things I've heard all my life. you can't ruin compression to the point where engine won't start by just removing oil film. it's not possible on a healthy engine.

crank sensor may be the culprit. codes should be checked.

My Cars
    z3
    Does the tach move when cranking?
    Is there fuel pressure at the rail?
    Are there codes and if so what are they

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post
    sorry to say this but this is one of the stupidest things I've heard all my life. you can't ruin compression to the point where engine won't start by just removing oil film. it's not possible on a healthy engine.

Assuming it's a (was) a healthy engine..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by TiesTorN View Post

TT, okay, I hear ya loud and clear, it does sound silly, but bore wash is a thing.

I think an even easier way would be to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a few secs until no fuel is left in the possibly already-flooded cylinders, wait a few minutes, reinstall the fue pump fuse, and see if that's enough to start it up. If it were me, I'd go ahead and add the 2 tsp of engine oil to each cyl anyway.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Data Data Data plz. We can't make bricks without clay.... Otherwise its all just wild conjecture.

My Cars
    2003 530i e39
    Sorry for the late reply a family mechanic came to check it out, he believes it may be the mass airflow sensor because once we disconnected it the car wanted to start but wouldnÂ’t.

- - - Updated - - -

It just turns over no catch, but today a family mech came to check it out he disconnected the mass airflow sensor and it wanted to catch but once we put it back the car didn’t want to catch

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have fuel pressure in the rail and when we checked to see the codes it wasn’t reading anything.

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Slow down....I have had this happen on an M54 motor and a M62TU. Exact conditions that you had it happen under. Old school solution before you throw the parts cannon at it. Put the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank till it starts. Very confident this will resolve you issue. Basically you have flooded it and it needs more air than fuel right now.

My Cars
    2003 530i e39
    I forgot to mention yes we pushed the acceleration pedal all the way down while cranking. It wanted to turn but but it just wouldnÂ’t.

- - - Updated - - -

Family friend said the pressure seemed weak when when he sprayed gas from the fuel line but could hear the pumps working. When he disconnected the MAF the car turned in for like a second and died

My Cars
    '00 540i M-Tech
    just read the codes man, you're wasting your time.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Generally speaking, M54 related "cranks but doesn't start" issues are fuel delivery system related. It really sounds like it in this case as well. Could be a weak pump or a clogged fuel filter. Only way to be sure is to check fuel rail pressure.

My Cars
    2003 530i e39
    I did check for codes and it didn’t read anything that was wrong