Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: easiest way to manual swap a 99 528i

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    having INPA open was the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    UPDATE::: CODING IS COMPLETE!!! I wont start until tomorrow when i put exhaust on but i still have to deal with the clutch issue i wanted to drive it tonight

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    [mention]effduration [/mention] will i need to code out the clutch switch before trying to start? Ill be putting the exhaust on to try starting it tonight.

should i try to sort the clutch out before trying to start? i feel it dosent really make a difference if the clutch is working to start it just as long as i leave it in neutral.

Would you know how to code out the clutch switch?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty39 View Post
    [mention]effduration [/mention] will i need to code out the clutch switch before trying to start? Ill be putting the exhaust on to try starting it tonight.

should i try to sort the clutch out before trying to start? i feel it dosent really make a difference if the clutch is working to start it just as long as i leave it in neutral.

Would you know how to code out the clutch switch?
    I think if you wired up the clutch switch, and coded it for a manual, it should start if you press the clutch pedal.

You code out the clutch switch in NCS expert..please look it up.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    I think if you wired up the clutch switch, and coded it for a manual, it should start if you press the clutch pedal.

You code out the clutch switch in NCS expert..please look it up.
    sounds good thanks

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    tried starting and no crank. im not sure why. I have no gear indicator on dash and my reverse lights work. so that makes me believe the car is coded correctly

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    tried starting and no crank. im not sure why. I have no gear indicator on dash and my reverse lights work. so that makes me believe the car is coded correctly

could the car maybe be in theft mode from when i tried to start it pre coding? if so is there a way to remove the feature stopping it from cranking?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    double check wiring and coding. I agree it sounds like it might be coded correctly.

I think you can use INPA to verify the new ZCS strings?

Any codes at all now ?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    double check wiring and coding. I agree it sounds like it might be coded correctly.

I think you can use INPA to verify the new ZCS strings?

Any codes at all now ?
    The zcs strings are correct. however i can have another look at them. I can check all my wiring. but i am not sure that this is the issue.

i had cleared all errors from all the main modules… i dont think it should show any codes. however i am not really sure how exactly i would i check for the codes. would i use INPA or ncs. when trying to use the functional jobs(in inpa) for e39 or whatever its called i just noticed it jus changed screens to show more models of cars which i did not understand why it was bringing this up.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    I think i may have triggered my immobilizer. When turning the key i dont hear the fuel pump kick on, and there is zero crank at all. Is it possible to undo the immobilizer using ncs?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    I think i may have triggered my immobilizer. When turning the key i dont hear the fuel pump kick on, and there is zero crank at all. Is it possible to undo the immobilizer using ncs?
    I don't think so...There are people who EWS-delete their DME...but I have never done it. and I would not jump to that if I were you. Take a breath and check your work...

Are you getting any codes in INPA ?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

easiest way to manual swap a 99 528i

I don't think so...There are people who EWS-delete their DME...but I have never done it. and I would not jump to that if I were you. Take a breath and check your work...

Are you getting any codes in INPA ?
    After going theough INPA and the different main modules, i am indeed getting error codes from the IKE/KMB(cluster)
    i used a feature on the iphone camera to translate the german.And it seems to be short circut codes.

any idea where these short circuts may be tied to?

i do remember my radio never working properly where it would turn on for a few seconds and then all sound would cut off, and i had thought that maybe it was due to a short somewhere. could this be related to the car not starting?

Last edited by dirty39; 01-26-2023 at 03:43 PM.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I am guessing that you have a ground issue ....

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    ill check all my grounds i used for this and will update once done. at school now will probably update around 7pm pst

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    what would you recommend to dealing with this ground issue?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    it shows the error codes for “outside temp” and “gong 3” could these both have been coded out previously since they were causing ground issues. I bought the car a few months ago and never was informed on really much of it like coding etc. Could i use ncs expert to code both of these out and maybe it’ll work?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    googled what bmw gong is and this is what i found.
    perhaps this is something that is supposed to be on my car and isnt. Or was previously coded out and was removed when i recoded the whole car(all modules)

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    something i notcied is i have a period on the dash under where it says miles. i dont think this is normal any idea if this could be contributing to my no crank problem?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    something i notcied is i have a period on the dash under where it says miles. i dont think this is normal any idea if this could be contributing to my no crank problem?

That's a tamper dot... Its what you would get if you simply installed a new cluster without coding.

- I would pull cluster and check that connectors are seated properly and check the reverse wiring - though it sounds like it is working
    - I would recode just IKE module again in NCS Expert

I am not sure what's causing your no- crank.... I thought if it was JUST an EWS or Immobilizer issue, you would get a crank, but no start because it would shut off fuel supply. Sounds a little like the the clutch no-start switch is not wired properly or the manual swap is not coded properly..but hard to tell thru the internet.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

While looking through the code i noticed that the vin was didferent on the kmb/IKE. So i changed it to match that of the car. And well the tamper dot is now gone. It also fully coded the car including the lcm. Still no crank.

Last edited by dirty39; 01-27-2023 at 12:33 PM.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    verified everything shared the same vin number even my ews was slightly different from my exact vin. All is good now. Still getting those error codes through the IKE/KMB for the outside temp and the gong 3.

I also noticed that the button on my cluster does not work anymore. could this be tied to a reason why its not starting?

should i maybe try plugging in my egs and use inpa to see if there are any trans codes that are stuck on my car stopping it from cranking?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

i’ve decided officially to not touch the coding programs anymore until i have a solution. Ive been toying around trying to tap into the different modules to see if i can see an error that is preventing the starting and i really cant find much. while doing this my car began to loose battery power. I first noticed this while using inpa and the ability to access the KMB/IKE was lost. and i went in the car go check everything and most the lights were out and the dash seemed to be struggling to stay illuminated.

HOPE THAT DIDN’T CAUSE ANY FURTHER ISSUES OR DAMAGE ANYTHING :0 (could it have?)

(couldnt find my battery charger tonight ill check tomorrow morning and plug it in.)

for some reason when using ncs i see that my displayed vin for the kmb/ike is WBAAA00000BY279903(3 being checksum or hex value) while my displayed vin for ews is WBADM6337XBY279906(6 being checksum or hex value) the displayed vin for the ews is my exact cars vin. the displayed vin for the kmb was completely different earlier compared to what it is now after i switched it earlier which removed that tamper dot.

might just pay that guy the 85$ to get it running any idea on his contact info again?

Last edited by dirty39; 01-28-2023 at 03:13 AM.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Sounds a little like the the clutch no-start switch is not wired properly or the manual swap is not coded properly..but hard to tell thru the internet.
    how would i go about coding out the clutch no start switch. i know you said its possible. i just have a hard time finding somewhere to specific says how to do it or under what ecu module it is in.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Yes you need a fully charged battery and it should be on a charger when you are coding.

Look up in this thread for the name of the guy who might remote in...search for his contact info...I have never used him.

Search on how to use NCS to code out clutch safety switch.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast