Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: easiest way to manual swap a 99 528i

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Yes you need a fully charged battery and it should be on a charger when you are coding.

Look up in this thread for the name of the guy who might remote in...search for his contact info...I have never used him.

Search on how to use NCS to code out clutch safety switch.
    Thanks for all of the help. I sincerely appreciate you sticking around and having patience with me while figuring things out. I redownloaded bmw tools and downloaded the ncs dummy and everything. I opened up the file for the ews in the dummy and turned off clutch safety switch and car started right up. Not sure what part of it was preventing it from starting weather it was my wiring or whatever. But it started right up….Man i missed the sound of this car.

still need to take the pump out for the auto trans cooler because it started spewing fluid right when it started and then began to squeal. After that i believe it should be good to go.

i just realized that i never touched anything with slave or clutch operation since last time bleeding so im hoping that maybe itll just want to work properly and i wont have to adjust anything but i find that unlikely.

anyways thanks again.

ill continue to update this thread periodically if i have any issues or just add anything onto the car i feel you guys might enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by dirty39 View Post
    ...... But it started right up….Man i missed the sound of this car.

still need to take the pump out for the auto trans cooler because it started spewing fluid right when it started and then began to squeal. After that i believe it should be good to go.
    I didn't think there was an external pump for the ATF cooler in a '99 528i (I own one) It was in the Auto Trans I believe.

Check your power steering pump and hoses. What the hell was squealing ?

Glad to hear you got it started.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    I have no idea what was squealing. I recoded it right before having to leave for work so i didnt have time to really look around, but my dad was out while i got it started and he believes it to be a pump for the trans cooler since it just squirted all of the remaining fluid out of the lines.

I’ll have another look at it tonight or maybe tomorrow. Im just glad to have heard it running again.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

easiest way to manual swap a 99 528i

I didn't think there was an external pump for the ATF cooler in a '99 528i (I own one) It was in the Auto Trans I believe.

Check your power steering pump and hoses. What the hell was squealing ?

Glad to hear you got it started.
    Could it be different for us? because i know i had a GM4speed transmission. and my car was built 12/98.
    i do know my car was never squeaking before doing the swap so thats why i believe it could be a pump for the auto trans. i also never fully removed the part where all of those lines go to by the radiator. should i have?

another thing. the squeal started after a few seconds of running and once most of the fluid was out of that system, and then continued for a second, maybe 0.5-2 seconds after i shut the car off.

Last edited by dirty39; 01-29-2023 at 06:59 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    There is no ATF cooler line pump outside the transmission. Those cooler lines typically just drain/drip when you disconnect them. You probably should remove them when you can.

Something else was squealing...

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

There is no ATF cooler line pump outside the transmission. Those cooler lines typically just drain/drip when you disconnect them. You probably should remove them when you can.

Something else was squealing...
    alright ill have a look at everything later today. once im done with classes or after work.

Im thinking of picking up a new project.

1999 e46. are you familiar with this chassis? the car im looking at is having an issue starting very similar to me when i recoded the car. i went and coded out his clutch switch but still no crank. it does have a new key which he had made and was programmed and worked before he broke the actual clutch switch. Afte breaking the switch he parked the car and it wouldnt start. which is why i coded the clutch switch out for him. any idea on what may be stopping the starter?

Last edited by dirty39; 01-30-2023 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    alright ill have a look at everything later today. once im done with classes or after work.

Im thinking of picking up a new project.

1999 e46. are you familiar with this chassis? the car im looking at is having an issue starting very similar to me when i recoded the car. i went and coded out his clutch switch but still no crank. it does have a new key which he had made and was programmed and worked before he broke the actual clutch switch. Afte breaking the switch he parked the car and it wouldnt start. which is why i coded the clutch switch out for him. any idea on what may be stopping the starter?
    You should finish the project you have....

I am familiar with the E46, and own one, but you should join E46fanatics and ask there.

You will need to have read any and all codes on the E46...There are several reasons a car won't crank/start beyond the clutch switch. You should not go deleting clutch safety without reading codes.

"had a key made and programmed" sounds a bit iffy...It is possible but the person better know what they are doing.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    You should finish the project you have....

I am familiar with the E46, and own one, but you should join E46fanatics and ask there.

You will need to have read any and all codes on the E46...There are several reasons a car won't crank/start beyond the clutch switch. You should not go deleting clutch safety without reading codes.

"had a key made and programmed" sounds a bit iffy...It is possible but the person better know what they are doing.
    Yea was planning on doing so anyways.

And honestly i was looking more into the car and no thanks… Everything about that car is iffy. Ews hanging, obd port hanging with only 3 wires connected.

but thanks for that bit of advice.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto

I

Check your power steering pump and hoses.
    I believe this is where the sound is coming from. I remember having to remove these lines from the housing on the radiator and i guess i thought they were also for the trans so i just left then un connected. I just looked at the lines now and see they do go to something for the steering. im going to reconnect these probably tomorrow and then refill with fluid. It looks like atf fluid(red) or should i use power steering fluid? and i see the other line goes to the top fill canister (or what i used to add oil when i was having auto trans issues.)

should reconnecting the lines and filling back up with fluid fix the squeal, or did i fuck the pump up by running it for a few seconds like that?

Last edited by dirty39; 01-30-2023 at 09:01 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Use dexron 3 ATF in the power steering reservoir .

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    Use dexron 3 ATF in the power steering reservoir .
    sounds good thanks. will i need to plug the ports for where the auto trans lines went or will no fluid flow through that since the lines are not connected? and if i do need to plug them what should i use

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    sounds good thanks. will i need to plug the ports for where the auto trans lines went or will no fluid flow through that since the lines are not connected? and if i do need to plug them what should i use
    Are you talking about the 2 oil cooler lines ?
    Those are not connected to your power steering reservoir .
    Pictures are helpful , fyi ....

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Are you talking about the 2 oil cooler lines ?
    Those are not connected to your power steering reservoir .
    Pictures are helpful , fyi ....

here you can see the two empty holes where the lines from the trans would go. and below are the two lines for the power steering. your saying its fine to leave those two hole unplugged?

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Why not just remove that trans cooler now that you don't need it?

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    Why not just remove that trans cooler now that you don't need it?
    Won't that require removing radiator and/or front bumper, aux fan, etc. ?

These aren't overly difficult but you could just pull the cooler lines and leave (the mostly hidden) cooler.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Won't that require removing radiator and/or front bumper, aux fan, etc. ?

These aren't overly difficult but you could just pull the cooler lines and leave (the mostly hidden) cooler.
    I was thinking the same thing and was not trying to do all of that lol. Should it be fine how i have it set up now. Just fill with fluid and start it up again?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I suppose you could just cap the ports on the oil cooler ?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    I suppose you could just cap the ports on the oil cooler ?
    yea but with what. Nothing will stay in there without the bracket holding them plugged. Will oil come out if i fill it and go to start again?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

here you can see the two empty holes where the lines from the trans would go. and below are the two lines for the power steering. your saying its fine to leave those two hole unplugged?
    At the risk of starting another conversation about hose orientation I'll state that the disconnected cooler ports your photo shows are for the power steering. Trans cooler lines, or ought to be, are still connected in your photo.
    No problem to leave unused ports open as long as you don't intend to re-use the cooler.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    At the risk of starting another conversation about hose orientation I'll state that the disconnected cooler ports your photo shows are for the power steering. Trans cooler lines, or ought to be, are still connected in your photo.
    No problem to leave unused ports open as long as you don't intend to re-use the cooler.
    strange. when i originally pulled the car apart for the swap this was how the hoses were oriented. With the two lines for trans cooler on the top. I am still planning on using whatever those power steering lines connect to. and just don’t know if i am good to refill with fluid while leaving those holes open like that. I am not planning on using those two holes where my trans lines connected to previously.

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    i just need to know if there will be fluid that circulates trough those holes if i do not attach lines to those. If not then good, perfect, ill will fill with some dexon 3 atf and will start it up again. I just need a straight answer. The way i have it setup right now will it be fine to fill with fluid and run the engine? or will fluid just pour out?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    What is normally done with transmission swaps ?
    Ask people who have a manual transmission , what does that setup look like ?

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    filled with fluid and spun wheel all the way left and right about 20 times maybe more and still squeaking. sometimes it’ll go away for a few seconds but still here.
    heres a video https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vac...w?usp=drivesdk

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    its all fine now. took car of stands and went fir a drive. everything worked perfectly…. even my radio which never used to work before!

My Cars
    e39 1999 auto
    Little 500miles+ update…

at 587.4miles since swap and have not had any real major issues. This swap has been treating me greatly. Thanks again for everybody who helped to get this thing running! Here is a photo of my car hope you guys find it nice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345