Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E39 purchase

My Cars
    E30 318i

E39 purchase

Hello everyone, wondering if you could give me your opinion on a potential purchase.

2001 grey 530i with 163k miles and 5speed. Accident free, original paint job, 3rd owner. Exterior and interior condition is about 8/10. List for 6k by private party and I negotiated the price down to $4.5k. I feel like $3.5k is ideal considering it’ll need coolant system overhaul plus some extras, you know the typical e39 stuff lol, or am I asking for too much in the current market? I don’t know if the owner will agree to $3.5k but that sure would be nice .

My Cars
    2002 525i
    The used car market is still really skewed. People think their used rattletraps are gold plated. $6K is ridiculous. $4.5K is steep, but unfortunately probably close to what one could expect to get in this market. $3.5 is probably pretty close to what it's truly worth in a normal market. On the other hand, lately manually shifted cars tend to command a premium, at least around these parts.

If all the pixels in the cluster/radio/HVAC are working, if the paint is in good shape, the tires current, the suspension bushings aren't completely rotted, and the shocks work reasonably well, it's probably worth $4.5 considering the "manual premium."
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    I agree, $4.5K is way to much. The specs on it aren't worth that much more. You are buying someone else's problems and will be upside down in no time. I would keep shopping. There are lot's of these cars out there. I know, not manuals, but still. The seller thinks it is worth a million bucks since they started at 6k. They won't go that low.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5

Thumbs up

The price you pay is the price that it will sell for. I personally would seek out an under 100k one. It will need everything but so will a 150k one.

Seeking and finding the RIGHT CAR is a lot harder than finding the wrong one. Ask anyone on this site that regrets the one they purchased then ask those who found the right car.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 12-27-2022 at 08:18 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    We can't see it but condition trumps all and at the end of the day what difference will $1k make if the car suits you?
    buy it if it is nice, fix what needs doing and enjoy. Good examples are getting scarce, manuals more so.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Keep in mind that a 5 speed manual 530i is worth considerably more than an automatic version. If an automatic I'd agree with most posts so far. But if a 5 speed manual I'd snatch it up at 4.5k all day long.
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    If we consider BAT as market comparision, then it's worth at least $7K. Buyers there smoke some good stuff...
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    If we consider BAT as market comparision, then it's worth at least $7K. Buyers there smoke some good stuff...
    Bat is full of top tier clowns, they take pride in over paying.

Quote Originally Posted by SW530 View Post
    Keep in mind that a 5 speed manual 530i is worth considerably more than an automatic version. If an automatic I'd agree with most posts so far. But if a 5 speed manual I'd snatch it up at 4.5k all day long.
    If it was white than I wouldn’t mind paying 4.5k, but white doesn’t come up as often, plus finding it in a manual makes things even more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    We can't see it but condition trumps all and at the end of the day what difference will $1k make if the car suits you?
    buy it if it is nice, fix what needs doing and enjoy. Good examples are getting scarce, manuals more so.
    1k is definitely not a make it or brake it, but the cash you saved can be spent on repairs without feeling like you’re overspending. Deep down I want a white manual but I feel like it can take years to find lol.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    The price you pay is the price that it will sell for. I personally would seek out an under 100k one. It will need everything but so will a 150k one.

Seeking and finding the RIGHT CAR is a lot harder than finding the wrong one. Ask anyone on this site that regrets the one they purchased then ask those who found the right car.
    Yea I agree, only the one under 100k will be significantly more expansive in a manual :[

Quote Originally Posted by capebmw View Post
    I agree, $4.5K is way to much. The specs on it aren't worth that much more. You are buying someone else's problems and will be upside down in no time. I would keep shopping. There are lot's of these cars out there. I know, not manuals, but still. The seller thinks it is worth a million bucks since they started at 6k. They won't go that low.
    “you’re buying someone else’s problem” Jeez that sounds scary lol

Quote Originally Posted by E39 Newbie View Post
    The used car market is still really skewed. People think their used rattletraps are gold plated. $6K is ridiculous. $4.5K is steep, but unfortunately probably close to what one could expect to get in this market. $3.5 is probably pretty close to what it's truly worth in a normal market. On the other hand, lately manually shifted cars tend to command a premium, at least around these parts.

If all the pixels in the cluster/radio/HVAC are working, if the paint is in good shape, the tires current, the suspension bushings aren't completely rotted, and the shocks work reasonably well, it's probably worth $4.5 considering the "manual premium."
    I haven’t seen it in person yet, but i already assume it has more problems than the owner is willing to add in the description. Honesty is rare. The market is definitely irrational, I’ve seen many e39’s with 200k+ Miles, listed for over 5k.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Say what you like about BAT but the cash buyers are there. I've sold two there at what I feel was correct market price even though I had hoped for more. Personally, I wouldn't buy sight unseen but many are comfortable with it.
    Selling there isn't always a bed of roses as the "peanut gallery" can be brutal and have ruined significant sales with unwarranted and inaccurate comments.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-29-2022 at 09:49 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 Newbie View Post

I would add that reasonably complete service records to support those other characteristics are key. For me, regular oil and filter changes with a good quality synthetic will help justify a car with 160K miles. All the service should be up to date.

Your 3.5K is probably about right if the cooling system hasn't been done completely in 7 years/80K miles or less. Then again, manuals are worth more. GL!

Having said all that, my 97 528i has 223K miles but I have all service history since it came off lease and have stayed on top of everything mechanical that it has needed. It burns no oil between changes, runs great and there is no way I would let it go for less than $5K because I know that I couldn't replace it for that much. I almost bought a 530i auto with 135k miles that needed tires and a couple of other things for about $4k a couple of years ago and probably should have done that but I don't regret keeping mine.
    Last edited by Ashman528; 12-30-2022 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Attached is the lifetime maintenance schedule from Mike Miller - BMWCCA Technical Writer, on what is the NORMAL Preventative Maintenance for every BMW by owner who wants to keep their cars running well into the 150-200K mile life. As you go through the list you will discover the average owner just drives the car until something breaks. Then they go down the road until the next item fails. By the time you, the third, fourth, or even fifth owner, all the preventative maintenance that should have been done falls on your shoulders. Hence the tag, "There is nothing so expensive than a cheap used high-end European car like a BMW."

Click on the https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...DIY-Check-here!) to get a road map on what the common weak points, procedures, Tips and Trick, and next steps during your ownership. This section alone will answer 85-95% of your questions. Let your fingers do the walking....

The car you mentioned is one of the better models. High in mileage but the right model. It will need EVERYTHING
    Suspension overhaul (shocks/struts, arms, ball joints etc
    Cooling system (Rad, Pump, Big and small hoses)
    Oil Separator
    Various Oil Leak repairs (Oil filter housing, Pan, Cam cover, P/S Hoses & Reservoir)
    Aux Fan
    DISA
    and on goes the list....

Plan on $5k worth of parts if you do the labor.

When you get stuck or need a little "expert opinion" on what, how, or why, just post AFTER reading all the DIY on the topic, as there is enough knowledgeable owners posting here who are glad to provide advice. Some of it will be helpful some will be less so.

Welcome to E39 ownership as they are great cars when proper maintenance is performed. Over engineered to provide a superior ride and performance. Now get out the hose and clean that car before you get started....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by StephenVA; 12-31-2022 at 04:49 AM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    @OP
    did you buy it?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    lol , “ some will be less so …” lol

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Sorry for not responding sooner. My family and I just recently got over a bad flue that effected us, it’s been one heck of a new year start lol.

@OP
    did you buy it?
    No, I asked the owner for the vin and it’s been 10 days with no reply. I’ll just take that as a red flag lol. I’m certain I’ll find a nice example if I don’t rush into it.

@StephenVA, thanks bud! Lots of helpful information. I’ve been combing through diys, repairs and all sorts of stuff. I love how much support the 5 serious has because of the great community.
    Last edited by talex37; 01-07-2023 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Not sure if a quote was needed

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    Are you looking specifically for a 530? Why not buy a 540 instead?

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekula View Post
    Are you looking specifically for a 530? Why not buy a 540 instead?
    Probably wants to try and keep some money in his bank account as opposed to us that have the V8 and no $$ from repairs!!

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Selling there isn't always a bed of roses as the "peanut gallery" can be brutal and have ruined significant sales with unwarranted and inaccurate comments.
    The amount of facepalm moments I've had reading those comments is astounding.
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    2010 BMW M6*2019 X3 M40i
    I also agree about BAT crowd ruining some sales while promoting some stupidly high prices for cars don't deserve it.
    I'm aware that some had luck selling there but the whole concept of BAT has some flaws.
    The fact that any dumbass who thinks he's an expert but in reality an idiot can comment and for example say something like: Well, it's M62 therefore the TC guides will explode tommorow etc...
    I've personaly seen the number of good sales that got ruined because of these idiots.
    Yes, stupid comments get deleted by BAT but sometime not in time and then God forbid if seller says something that may offend these idiots. Next thing you know is them screaming how seller is arrogant etc...
    I've tried few times to list on BAT and they rejected me for no obvious reasons especially as few weeks later I see similar car to mine listed, more miles, sketchy details, bad picutres etc...
    No, thank you, I'll never list a car there.
    Last edited by BMW540san; 01-08-2023 at 11:18 AM.
    2010 BMW M6 SMG Coupe * Black Saphire Metallic * Full Leather Merino Black
    2019 BMW X3 M40i * Alpine White * Mocha Leather
    Former:
    1997 BMW 532M (528i with 3.2 S52 engine from E36 M3 / 5 speed manual)
    1998 BMW 540i 6 Speed
    2003 BMW M5

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW540san View Post
    Ihe fact that any dumbass who thinks he's an expert but in reality an idiot can comment and for example say something like: Well, it's M62 therefore the TC guides will explode tommorow etc...
    I've personaly seen the number of good sales that got ruined because of these idiots.
    Yes, stupid comments get deleted by BAT but sometime not in time and then God forbid if seller says something that may offend these idiots. Next thing you know is them screaming how seller is arrogant etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    The amount of facepalm moments I've had reading those comments is astounding.
    A no reserve auction for a vintage Lola sports racer was ruined by some dipstick that claimed the car had been badly wrecked. The comment stopped bidding cold. The commenter later admitted he was confusing two different cars and walked away with "oops".
    The seller took it in the pants for BIG money but honored the sale to a very pleasantly surprised high bidder.
    Like social media and sometimes here, no face to face interactions so behavior that in my world would get you punched out gets by with little or no consequences.

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    Is it much cheaper to maintain a 20 year old 530 than 540? I was interested in knowing what the specific reason was for buying a 530.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    It doesn't have as many places to leak oil?
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    '02 540i/6
    The 530 is that nice sweet spot of a solid daily driver. It has sufficient power to not be fast, but enough to get around town smoothly and not feel like you're having trouble to get moving. The 540i is amazing and I love mine, and for the most part has been problem free minus the issues of a car with 230k miles. The issues that people run into, timing chain guides mainly, transmission (auto), can be tough to manage once you get it.

I personally want a 530i auto some day as a daily driver.

Either car will potentially have issues when it's older. Even when immaculately maintained. I say go for the purchase.
    2002 BMW Titanium Silver 540i/6-speed Sport - ZHP Shift Knob - M5 Clutch/TTV Racing 15.6lb Flywheel - M60 Intake Manifold - N62 84mm TB - Dinan Intake Tube - 4" MAF Tube - DUDMD Tune - Magnaflow Resonator - Eibach 18mm Rear Sway Bar - Powerflex Front Sway Bar Bushings - CDV Delete - UUC SS Brake Lines - Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts - Eibach Springs - Zionsville Radiator & FDM

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    As a daily driver its also important to note that a 530i will get ~22MPG average around town and close to 30MPG @ 80 MPH.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekula View Post
    Is it much cheaper to maintain a 20 year old 530 than 540? I was interested in knowing what the specific reason was for buying a 530.
    On average a 530 is definitely cheaper to maintain than a 540. I don't see any specific reason to buy a 540 over a 530 really unless you really want the V8. Stock for stock the 540 isn't much faster and if both are tuned the gap gets even smaller. 530 is significantly lighter and handles better with more responsive steering, it gets better mpg, is cheaper to repair (and cheaper to insure), more reliable and available with all the same options. IMO for a daily a 530 is hard to beat.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    I like the 540i. We dont use ours as a daily driver though, unless an emergency occurs with other cars.

I am tempted by this 530i though... classic:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...575189699.html

(E12 1977 BMW 530i )

Last edited by MtnGn; 01-10-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast