Thread: e36 Converible top motor strains to close then stops from too much tension

My Cars
    1999 323i convertible

e36 Converible top motor strains to close then stops from too much tension

Hello, I have replaced the old tension straps with new ones to the bows. I believe they are correct from following videos of this procedure.
    I replaced the latch motor with new sprockets ( metal vs the plastic gears ). There seems to be too much tension at the rear tension bow. It is very tight and won't fully rest on the tonneau cover.

The top stores just fine. My problem is when I try to close it. The rear cover lifts/opens correct, the rear window lifts to the vertical position as it's supposed to, the tonneau cover then closes down correctly, then the rear of the top drops to rest on the cover but does NOT fully rest on it (problem). When the final stage occurs ( when the motors try to get the front to connect to the windshield, the motor moves the mechanism, but then the motor begins to strain and then to a stop. With latch cover removed, the two latch mechanisms still has room to travel as they have not reached their limit when things come to a straining stop. I don't understand what is impeding it.

Nothing appears jammed ( the two side hinges come together and connect as expected). There seems to be very tight at the rear tension bow that is supposed to rest on the cover. The wire cabling on the sides are connected but are still loose. I've inspected those cables and they are connected correctly. Does anyone know what the ROD settings should be in terms of length? I cannot find anything that indicates a specification for what these initial lengths should be at as a starting point.

Is there no data out there on these two components (the two bars in the top storage compartment)? I have the Convertible top reset procedure which I've done many times; so I know it resets correctly. Still, something is straining the top motor from allowing it to fully close. The rear is super tight when it's in the final stage of closing. It used to close fine. Last mention, the very front of the new tension straps appear to have enough slack left for the top to fully close. Again, it's the last stage of closing the top where things slow to a stop.
    Last edited by erob; 12-27-2022 at 11:57 AM. Reason: grammer

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    On my '94 'vert with trhe semi-auto top, I always had to pull the front section down to the windshield, this also forced the rear bow to seal against the storage cover. I never expected the roof motor to pull the front and rear sections down. Your Full Automatic top does not have the latch handle that I had to pull on, but if you can devise a place to pull down on the top to help it finish closing, this would be good. I also had to push the front section of my top up when I was lowering the top into the storage compartment.

My Cars
    1999 323i convertible
    I have taken off the convertible top seven (7) times now. I've replaced the tension straps twice making sure to mount the straps so they are not too tight. I am reasonably certain they are not the problem. I can't seem to find a solution to the issue of the convertible top motor straining to close. It will travel to a point and then stop. If I wait a few seconds, the motors protective feature will allow me to push the button to close the top a little further but it always stops as if something is impeding it. The lock/latch mechanisms on the tops' sides are set to 205mm as specified in the BMW TIS. Although they have a threaded adjustable ball socket, BMW makes no mention of the function of the rods on the sides. BMW states that they must be set to 205.5mm +/- 1 mm. So that's where they are set to.
    BMW did a very poor job of explaining how the two Rods in the cover compartment work. There is no initial setting mentioned anywhere that I can find from BMW as to what the initial lengths should be for the two rods in the compartment. Does anyone know what the factory lengths should be as a starting point for the cover rod and the canopy/top rod? When the tension bow in the rear drops it's about an inch or so above the convertible top cover. When it is clamping down it appears there is too much tension. I've reached the end of the internet trying to find a solution it seems. Is there any useful info out there other than these threads talking about tension straps because the straps are not the problem to me. Any knowledgeble help is appreciated.

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    I’m going to throw this out there on the chance it might help your situation.

In 2007, I replaced my wornout top motor and the top suddenly wouldn’t travel all the way to the windshield — it stopped shortly after the rear window dropped onto the tonneau cover and the top started moving forward. Then it would stop. I could reverse it and re-stow no problem. Before replacing the motor the auto top functioned just fine, so it was a mystery.

Then, on this forum I learned from “jeffro0502” about the two “non-adjustable” hall sensors on the underside of the motor accessed in the trunk on the left side. There are two red Phillips-head screws that are spring-loaded, that adjust the convertible top travel.

I just started playing with them till I got it right. Those two screws adjust the travel of the system, how far it goes in one direction then the other. You could start with small adjustments in both ways to see how it changes then go from there. If you were to take it to the dealer they would do the same thing.

First, I turned both screws one full turn (360) clockwise, tried the top, but stopped half way through. Then, I turned both screws back (counter-clockwise) one full turn to get back to the original position, and then continued one more turn — tried the top and up it went all the way to the windshield. Opened and closed a few times to double-check and it worked perfectly.

Good luck with yours.

My Cars
    1999 323i convertible
    M3rocket, thanks for helping. I saw those two screws near the motor. My problem is the motor straining to close. I charged the battery to full each time I test the top after 2-3 tries. The top will go into the compartment with no issues. It will close and lock the cover down. The tonneau cover clears the top raising or lowering with no issue. My problem is when the top is up, it won't reach the windshield. The motor is straining to make the forward part of the top reach the windshield (even with help). I think the rod that controls the cover lifting and lowering is set ok because the cover clears the top with no issues. But, I am uncertain about how the length of the rod affects the tension bows ability to clamp down on the cover. the motor is getting resistance from ??? I have lubricated all joints (including the rubber rollers on the sides. I am certain that the tension straps are set correct. When the top clears the cover, it releases (plops down) just above the cover about 1 or so. when the tension bow begins to try to seal on top of the cover, the motor stops. The front of the latching hooks never reach the windshield. I could adjust those screws as an experiment but I don't think that will take the excessive load off the latch motor. What is the length of the two rods in your vehicle? These measurements could give me a reference to go by.
    Last edited by erob; 02-05-2023 at 10:38 AM.

My Cars
    98 M3 vert, 05 X5
    Sorry, I have my hardtop on for the winter , so can't measure the rods. You have nothing to lose by trying the S1 and S2 adjustment screws on the motor that effect top travel. You can always return them to the original setting if it doesn't work.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Just replaced the top on my 1999 E36 and am experiencing the exact same problem. Were you able to solve this problem and, if so, what did you have to do to solve it?