Thread: Do I have a Head gasket issue or something else?

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii

Do I have a Head gasket issue or something else?

Sorry if this is a bit long:
    I had my car up for about a year doing rust repair and then fixing transmission leaks. It always seemed to have white smoke at startup and it hasn’t been easy to pass emissions here in Oregon ( High CO or Co2 I think) and I’m way past expired. I usually let the car warm up in the driveway and its pretty stinky/toxic for sure out the back and thought maybe it was running rich. Last time I drove it still had some white exhaust smoke when I finished my 20 min drive, which kinda surprised me. It was in the 40’sF probably.

Things to note:

• Coolant level was pretty low when I last checked. I added coolant, but haven’t driven it to see how fast it's dropping.
    • No bubbles or leaks from radiator or hoses. Let it run and warm up and didn’t see bubbles under the cap. The only leak I have is a small one from the Heater valve, but only when its open. Doesn’t leak when closed, which is where it usually sits.
    Has never overheated while I’ve owned it, and thermostat is solid in the middle. Car ran cool when I bought the car and radiator was pretty gunked up when I flushed it and changed thermostat. No idea on cars history….
    Checked timing, fuel air ratio and idle and appeared good. Fuel ratio per 02 sensor voltage was in the zone, but not 100% certain. Timing was good ( ball in the window at 2200), but I couldn’t lower idle below 1000-ish rpm when screw bottomed out to the right. Car starts up easy every time, though idle was a little stumbly for the 1st minute after I adjusted fuel/air mixture. Of course.
    I haven’t checked plugs, but will do that this weekend.
    welded up exhaust leak where 2 pipes come into 1 from manifold. Had a big spread of JB weld that was NOT doing the trick.

I’d like to get this running good and pass emissions so I can finally get it registered. Can a leaky injector cause white smoke out the back or is it only coolant that does that? If it is a head gasket going bad, are there any options besides replacing it? Wasn't really planning on doing another project like that, but....

Thanks,

Baron

My Cars
    '82 323i, '83 315
    You can pressuretest the cooling system to make shure it doesn't leak. You can doe a compressiontest on your cylinders, although this won't help much I'm afraid

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    Pressure testing the coolant system couldn't hurt, though there are no noticeable leaks, but maybe thats the point of the test. I did check compression when i bought the car and all cylinders were around 150, which didn't seem to bad. Maybe test again to see if anythings changed? I've only put maybe 3k miles on the car.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by floatinghead View Post
    Sorry if this is a bit long:
    I had my car up for about a year doing rust repair and then fixing transmission leaks. It always seemed to have white smoke at startup and it hasn’t been easy to pass emissions here in Oregon ( High CO or Co2 I think) and I’m way past expired. I usually let the car warm up in the driveway and its pretty stinky/toxic for sure out the back and thought maybe it was running rich. Last time I drove it still had some white exhaust smoke when I finished my 20 min drive, which kinda surprised me. It was in the 40’sF probably.

Things to note:

• Coolant level was pretty low when I last checked. I added coolant, but haven’t driven it to see how fast it's dropping.
    • No bubbles or leaks from radiator or hoses. Let it run and warm up and didn’t see bubbles under the cap. The only leak I have is a small one from the Heater valve, but only when its open. Doesn’t leak when closed, which is where it usually sits.
    Has never overheated while I’ve owned it, and thermostat is solid in the middle. Car ran cool when I bought the car and radiator was pretty gunked up when I flushed it and changed thermostat. No idea on cars history….
    Checked timing, fuel air ratio and idle and appeared good. Fuel ratio per 02 sensor voltage was in the zone, but not 100% certain. Timing was good ( ball in the window at 2200), but I couldn’t lower idle below 1000-ish rpm when screw bottomed out to the right. Car starts up easy every time, though idle was a little stumbly for the 1st minute after I adjusted fuel/air mixture. Of course.
    I haven’t checked plugs, but will do that this weekend.
    welded up exhaust leak where 2 pipes come into 1 from manifold. Had a big spread of JB weld that was NOT doing the trick.

I’d like to get this running good and pass emissions so I can finally get it registered. Can a leaky injector cause white smoke out the back or is it only coolant that does that? If it is a head gasket going bad, are there any options besides replacing it? Wasn't really planning on doing another project like that, but....

Thanks,

Baron

This reminds me of something that happened to my brothers 320. White smoke; check the brake fluid level and keep an eye on it also. He had a leaky master that bled into the booster and was being ingested into the engine. White smoke on a perfectly good engine.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    There is also a tool you can use where you basically look at color change of the fluid inside it to see if you have exhaust gases present in the coolant system.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

White smoke at startup for several minutes is normal with these cars as the catalytic converter absorbs water during cold nights and its warms up sends the water out the exhaust, 20 minutes later though is too long , low coolant or coolant going down is a sign of head gasket leaking or what autox found out. Fill up the coolant and check its level out. As too passing smog, a new catalytic converter takes care of that.

Randy

My Cars
    E21 320i, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekula View Post
    There is also a tool you can use where you basically look at color change of the fluid inside it to see if you have exhaust gases present in the coolant system.
    I have not used one personally but this is the first result on Amazon. You can search YouTube for other people using them and seeing how the fluid changes color: https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-.../dp/B06VVBSFTF
    '81 E21 320i / '90 E30 325i / '̶9̶2̶ ̶E̶3̶4̶ ̶5̶2̶5̶i̶t (sold) / '15 Toyota XW30 / '̶̶8̶0̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶ ̶3̶2̶0̶i̶A̶ (sold)

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    That’s exactly the one I have

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    Thanks for all your responses:

autox320: I have heard that could happen. I replaced my brake master from a reputable brand last year so feel pretty confident thats not the problem and it only has a few hundred miles on it since being replaced.

320iAman: I think i've read a thread you've written about a walker catalytic converter. do you have the model number by chance? does anyone make a whole unit (2 to1 pipe down and including the Cat?

Kallekula and Amarino: that kit looks like a good option. I'll order one up and report back.

thanks all

My Cars
    80 320i, 87 325 i & is
    I don't know anything about the Walker one but Magnaflow has this https://www.magnaflow.com/products/2...ytic-converter

Pretty sure mine is a Magnaflow. When my "Y" downpipe started to go, I ended up replacing the entire system and got the whole deal from OLD MAN (RIP). I'm not sure if his successors are still selling his kits, but I think they might be. I really like it and it sounds wonderful.

Re: passing emissions, I mean, I know you will fix the smoke situation but you could also consider a special interest plate.

My Cars
    1982 320is /1973 2002tii
    Just got back from out of town so was able to drive my car a bit and run the exhaust gas in coolant test.

Smoking status: smoked at startup ( as usual) but after a good drive, it didn't smoke at all. I put my hand at exhaust and no soot with just some water vapor. Outside temp in mid 40's. took a video of a few quick high revs and no smoke at all. some exhaust rattle, but i expected that. Maybe it was just an anomaly, but i'll keep an eye on it.

Exhaust Coolant test: ran the test before driving and all is clear. Fluid stayed a solid blue, so I think i'm good. I'll top up the radiator and keep an eye on that and the brake fluid for now.

Clio320i: thanks for the link to the magnaflow. I had sent an email to the OldMan exhaust link, but never received a response, though the site was still active. I didn't realize he had passed. RIP. I likely need a whole new exhaust setup anyway as it looks pretty beat.
    oh, and it looks like your in portland too. Do you go to any local car events? Maybe we can connect at one some time.

So if my head gasket is good, I might have it emission tested again as its been a few years and is probably running better than it was before. And if it doesn't pass, then i'll have some more data to help focus my efforts. I'll report back for sure.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Yes, Walker 81126 made in the USA, CAL-CARB compliant. Summit racing, I ordered thru them and walker shipped mine from the factory directly to me, had a shop weld it in, summit is a middle man, a walker authorized seller, I called walker and talked with walker catalytic converter department employee or department head. Walker 81126 is as good as gets for Cal-Cats.

partImageDisplay.jpg

For 49 States its Walker 15031, can look up in Walker catalog--EPA Compliant, California, New York, Maine, and Colorado have there own catalog.

https://www.walkerexhaust.com/produc...onverters.html

partImageDisplay1.jpg

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 12-13-2022 at 12:39 PM.