Thread: smoke blowing out new OE VCG when secondary air pump runs????

My Cars
    69 e3, 84 e23, 92 e34,

smoke blowing out new OE VCG when secondary air pump runs????

2011 (2/2011 manufacture date) 328i with xdrive. 111,000 miles.
    I replaced: all seals (front main, rear main, oil pan, ofhg, OE BMW vcg and all ajoining ones, intake manifold gaskets, injector gaskets, cam sensor seals, new rod bearings because it had sucked in serpentine belt during previous owner and they hadn't cleaned oil pan out. Originals were almost perfect though, lol. Timed it and buttoned it up.
    Installed VCG with engine out of car and torqued in correct order, so I am pretty sure gasket didn't roll.
    Stil, leaking oil over cylinder 6 (exhaust side).
    Also, when started cold, as soon as secondary air pump shuts off (15 seconds), it blows white smoke out of what looks to be where the VCG mates with the head at exhaust side of cylinder 6. Then it reduces in intensity after about 5 seconds. It also does this when I stop at a stoplight.
    It seems to blow some oil past the seal and then it drips on the cat and makes a nice smoke signal as if to say "help me."
    I Have driven it 1000+ miles since work. First 900 miles it didn't do this.
    rubber glove over oil filler hole shows slight vacuum (sucked in slightly).
    PCV valve holds vaccum.
    Secondary air valve does seem to stop exhaust from blowing back into air pump (I pulled hose between valve and pump with engine idling, no exhaust came out)
    Any ideas why it blows smoke out immediately after secondary air pump runs will be greatly appreciated?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Elka; 12-07-2022 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Correction of description

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi Auto
    Quote Originally Posted by Elka View Post
    2011 (2/2011 manufacture date) 328i with xdrive. 111,000 miles.
    I replaced: all seals (front main, rear main, oil pan, ofhg, OE BMW vcg and all ajoining ones, intake manifold gaskets, injector gaskets, cam sensor seals, new rod bearings because it had sucked in serpentine belt during previous owner and they hadn't cleaned oil pan out. Originals were almost perfect though, lol. Timed it and buttoned it up.
    Installed VCG with engine out of car and torqued in correct order, so I am pretty sure gasket didn't roll.
    Stil, leaking oil over cylinder 6 (exhaust side).
    Also, when started cold, as soon as secondary air pump shuts off (15 seconds), it blows white smoke out of what looks to be where the VCG mates with the head at exhaust side of cylinder 6. Then it reduces in intensity after about 5 seconds. It also does this when I stop at a stoplight.
    It seems to blow some oil past the seal and then it drips on the cat and makes a nice smoke signal as if to say "help me."
    I Have driven it 1000+ miles since work. First 900 miles it didn't do this.
    rubber glove over oil filler hole shows slight vacuum (sucked in slightly).
    PCV valve holds vaccum.
    Secondary air valve does seem to stop exhaust from blowing back into air pump (I pulled hose between valve and pump with engine idling, no exhaust came out)
    Any ideas why it blows smoke out immediately after secondary air pump runs will be greatly appreciated?
    Thanks
    Have you checked to see if the secondary air pump has oil? Isn't the secondary air pump fed by exhaust? Is there blue smoke coming from the tail pipe? What does the white smoke smell like? Does it smell sweet? Does it smell like burning oil? Maybe the head is warped? You stated the VCG is new, but most likely the car overheated and consequently warped the head, thus oil leaking over on Cyl 6. Isn't the secondary air pump fed from the exhaust and utilized only during startup, then it closes and stops the exhaust from entering the air pump? I could be wrong. Have you pulled the spark plugs to see if there's any oil on the diodes and piston heads? Is the white smoke coming from the leak at the VCG or when the oil drip burns off the cat?