Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1983 733i Alpinweiss

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i

1983 733i Alpinweiss

Hi everyone! Thought I'd introduce myself on here
    My name is Max, I recently picked up a 1983 733i Alpine White ? - I think, not too sure - I'm assuming the color is alpine white but I haven't dug deeper to see if they made these in another shade of white variant,
    It's got 158k miles on the odometer and it's originally a cali car from what I was told
    I'm excited to start this build! Wanted to create this thread on here to keep track of the progress

Couple things that have already been done
    Both fuel pumps replaced
    Injectors were replaced
    Spark Plugs replaced
    Spark Plug cables replaced
    Rotor and Cap replaced
    Alternator replaced

This is my first BMW so I'm hoping I don't start pulling my hair out soon lol, a couple of the vehicles I've owned in the past,
    1985 VW Cabriolet
    1991 B3 Passat VR6
    1991 VW Jetta GL Diesel 1.6D - (traded my mk2 for the e23)
    1997 VW Golf Trek
    2002 VW 337
    2015 VW GTI
    2016 VW GTI
    2016 VW Golf R - Still own

onto the pics! - I couldn't figure out how to upload pics on here so I'll just link the albums to my imgur account

Pic's right before bringing her home
    https://imgur.com/a/rXA5Ze3

And a couple more pics after washing all the crud and dirt off - will definitely be buffing her next weekend!
    https://imgur.com/a/ejZVLtk

Couple of things next up are addressing why the alternator won't charge the battery, I confirmed the battery light bulb is out so I've ordered some new bulbs and a few socket holders to address some lights that are out in the gauge cluster.
    I ended up doing a temp solution to get the alternator to charge the battery by running a wire from the D+ lead to a fuse that kicks on when the ignition is turned on for now.
    Also my RPM tachometer isn't working, was wondering if I needed to order the instrument panel circuit board but I'm going to check the solder point on the cluster first before ordering anything.

Does anyone know of anything else I should look out for on these 7 series? Been reading up as much as I can but just want to make sure I don't miss anything

Thanks!

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    *quick update*
    12/05/22
    Ordered some BBS RA’s and fresh tires to put on her
    Decided to go with some Yokohama Avid A/S 21560r15
    Hoping it looks well with the RA’s
    15x7 et23 -hoping this offset is alright for the e23
    I’ll get better pics once they come in Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Welcome aboard! Nice e23 and great choice on the BBS wheels. Please post some pics once the wheels are mounted. Then throw a set of HR springs on her!
    Last edited by DSpoljaric; 12-06-2022 at 04:01 PM.

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Quote Originally Posted by DSpoljaric View Post
    Welcome aboard! Nice e23 and great choice on the BBS wheels. Please post some pics once the wheels are mounted. Then through a set of HR springs on her!
    Thank you! Most definitely - tires come in this Friday as well so I hope to have them mounted either Saturday or Sunday
    That's the next thing on the list of action items to do lol
    I was thinking about ordering a set of B6 performance shocks and struts with some H&R sport springs - hoping it brings down the front some and makes it sit nicely on the RA's lol
    Fingers crossed!
    I'm exited for this build, this is my first BMW vehicle ever!

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Quick little update
    Got the wheels and tires a day early!

I’ll post more of all of them a little later tonight
    The refinish on these looks amazing

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Gorgeous set - I'd recommend using the chrome barrel valve stems rather than the regular plastic/rubber black stems - to complete the high-end look. Tire shops typically have the chrome stems but you have to request they install them otherwise they always just grab the regular stems. If you have to order them, easy to do off of Amazon and get them the next day and take them with you to the tire shop - cheers

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Gorgeous set - I'd recommend using the chrome barrel valve stems rather than the regular plastic/rubber black stems - to complete the high-end look. Tire shops typically have the chrome stems but you have to request they install them otherwise they always just grab the regular stems. If you have to order them, easy to do off of Amazon and get them the next day and take them with you to the tire shop - cheers
    Thank you! I'm amazed how good these look, thats actually a good idea, I was going to take them to this shop - I'm going to call to see if they have the chrome stems before heading that way if not i'll order some online
    I think they even have some bbs branded ones you can still get right?

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Probably you can get BBS hardware on eBay, but I always source my BBS hardware from the BBS distributor Black Forest. Knowledgeable guys and great service. Worth the extra bucks to get it right now as once the tires are on your don't want any regrets over $30-$50 in hardware IMO.

https://blackforestindustries.com/

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Probably you can get BBS hardware on eBay, but I always source my BBS hardware from the BBS distributor Black Forest. Knowledgeable guys and great service. Worth the extra bucks to get it right now as once the tires are on your don't want any regrets over $30-$50 in hardware IMO.

https://blackforestindustries.com/
    Ahh yes! Good ol BFi
    I didn’t realize they had these in stock
    I’ll need to order some from them!
    Last time I ordered from bfi was circa 2012 for my 337 haha
    Thank you!

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    *update*
    So I went to fill up today and started smelling a lot of gasoline from the trunk
    I remembered previous owner said they had done the fuel pumps
    I open the trunk to check and low and behold
    A small amount of gas is leaking from where those two wires are going to

Seems like the old connector plug must have been corroded or broken? They connected it directly to the pump itself it looks like
    I need to find this connector to repair this correctly but I’m having trouble finding it
    I did find a connector plug called S-722 fuel pump connector in searching for one but I can’t confirm if it’s a direct fit
    Does anyone else happen to know if this would work?

I greatly appreciate any help I can get

Thanks!

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Bookmark this web page for a 1983 733i US spec e23:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...3-E23-BMW-733i

Fuel:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-733i&mg=16

Electrical:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-733i&mg=61

I took a look and could not locate the connector part number but keep searching. The connector you show does not appear to work. I'd take the sending unit out and take it to Napa or O' Reilly's - or even the BMW dealer - it's probably a universal connector and you should be able to source one quickly. Obviously this issue needs to be dealt with quickly. While you are in there, you might want to replace the rubber o-ring as well. Cheers

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Bookmark this web page for a 1983 733i US spec e23:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...3-E23-BMW-733i

Fuel:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-733i&mg=16

Electrical:
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...BMW-733i&mg=61

I took a look and could not locate the connector part number but keep searching. The connector you show does not appear to work. I'd take the sending unit out and take it to Napa or O' Reilly's - or even the BMW dealer - it's probably a universal connector and you should be able to source one quickly. Obviously this issue needs to be dealt with quickly. While you are in there, you might want to replace the rubber o-ring as well. Cheers
    Heck yeah, thank you! I've bookmarked all three &
    yeah, I'm going to move it into the garage tomorrow and disconnect the battery, is there a special procedure to removing the sending unit assembly?

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Yeah, sorry I should know better lol my bad
    Also I may have found the connector

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Please pass along the part number and where to purchase if it works out. Thanks

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Please pass along the part number and where to purchase if it works out. Thanks
    For sure, I should know hopefully in a few hours if it works out - part should get here today

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Connector came in today, unfortunately it wasn’t the right fit :/

I started looking online and I may have just lucked out!
    I ended up purchasing the level sending unit connector as well just in case

If anyone else needs one of these I believe they have one more of each on their store

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16570904030...mis&media=COPY

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Nice!

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Welp, attempted to mount the wheels on the e23 but running into two issues, center bore of the bbs ra’s are 66.6mm I think and the hub diameter is 72.5mm I think
    Second issue is tire was running against the strut in the front

I should’ve checked the ID of these RA’s before even lifting the car
    Welp, I think a set of 10mm should hopefully do it

My Cars
    e3 9 12 23 24 32
    Sorry to hear it! Yes, the hub is 72.5mm and a 5x120 bolt pattern. For the spacer, I'd recommend going as think as you can to bring the face of the tire in parallel to the fender to give it the "full" look. That might mean a 15 or 20mm spacer. 10mm is not a whole lot and there is room under these fenders. Also, if you do go with the wider spacer, be mindful of how much thread you have left on the stock bolts. You may have to get new bolts (Amazon) that are also 10~15mm longer.

Keep posting the progress! Cheers

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Sorry to hear it! Yes, the hub is 72.5mm and a 5x120 bolt pattern. For the spacer, I'd recommend going as think as you can to bring the face of the tire in parallel to the fender to give it the "full" look. That might mean a 15 or 20mm spacer. 10mm is not a whole lot and there is room under these fenders. Also, if you do go with the wider spacer, be mindful of how much thread you have left on the stock bolts. You may have to get new bolts (Amazon) that are also 10~15mm longer.

Keep posting the progress! Cheers
    Dang, you do have a point, do you know if 15x7 et8 would work on this gen? I’m still new to the offset game bmw
    I think the rears will clear fine but it doesn’t hurt to have that wider stance
    I’m also trying to confirm if the center bore on the new wheels I got are 66.6mm before I order some hub centric rings lol
    they’re BBS RA 184 - everything I find online points to 5x112 - 66.6mm
    I also ordered a caliper tool to confirm before ordering anything too
    Thanks for the tip on the bolts! That also brings up another question wether I order conical or ball seat bolts

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Another update *since I couldn’t put the wheels on I decided to sand and polish the rear bumper

It’s a little bit better, I think there’s still some of the factory anodizing on that I missed, I’ll need to figure out a way to strip the factory anodizing before doing the rest of the trim
    I also plan on sanding the factory front and rear bumper trim and repainting them with some SEM trim paint hopefully in the next couple of weeks

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    Thank you for this!!! I’ll be referencing it once I do the front bumper, I’ll probably redo the rear bumper too as I want that mirror finish

My Cars
    mk7 golf r / e23 733i
    Another quick update, found out the wheels are also the incorrect bolt pattern, I didn’t find this out until inquiring with the previous owner about them.
    The bolt pattern on these RA’s are 5x112 so I’ll be ordering some 5x120 to 5x112 15mm adapters
    I’m hoping 15x7 et8 isn’t too aggressive up front

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast