Thread: 84 E23 Is the brake booster removable without removing master cylinder?

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i

84 E23 Is the brake booster removable without removing master cylinder?

Hello all,
    I recently took my e23 to a local indy in ABQ NM to have my brake booster and master cylinder replaced. My master cylinder was leaking internally and my booster had an external leak. The mechanic agreed to both repairs, but a week later when he told me the work was complete he said he didn't replace the booster as it "was not leaking".

Long Story short, the booster is leaking and needs to be replaced. The mechanic refused to do the work unless I paid him the 3k quoted to do other repairs in my vehicle. GTFO!!!

Im upset that I have to undo the work that I paid him to do with the Master Cylinder only to do the work on the booster that he agreed to do. So Now I have to drain the master cylinder/bleed system etc. in order to access and remove the booster, OR DO I? My question to all is: Can I remove the brake booster without having to completely remove and drain the master cylinder? can the master cylinder be "pushed to the side". without removing brake lines and reservoir ?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
    This mechanic should have called me to say my booster "wasn't leaking" before he completed the project. but no, he took it upon himself to not replace the booster as agreed, and now I gotta undo and redo the work I paid him to do with the master cylinder. Talk about a disappointing mechanic and a waste of $500!

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    I have never tried, so jump in and find out. Worst case you will simply rebleed the brakes...or flush if the fluid is nasty from the bleeder tits.

These cars are very DIY friendly. Paying someone that amount of cash to install a master cylinder is a quick way to be upsidedown on these.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    Thanks for the reply. I work on this e23 ALL THE TIME and like I said I figured I'd take a day/job off.. figured I could trust this tech with easy work. (He also did some suspension work). No doubt I'll be on it as soon as I get a chance, but who knows when that'll be. Just looking for someone who may know one way or other.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    The booster has a shaft that goes into the master and if you separate the two I don't know if you have enough movement of the master all located with the brake lines to be able to maneuver the booster out from the master. As stated give it a try.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i
    I appreciate it!
    The last time I replaced the booster I removed everything... but I didn't consider trying it with the MC intact. There's a relatively decent amount of space around the components, so it'll be close. I'll tackle it this weekend either way.