Thread: 1984 733i Water leaks

My Cars
    1984 733I

1984 733i Water leaks

Hi all,

I am trying to track down leaks I get inside the car duriung rain.

On occasion I get water in the dead center of the trunk area but thats rare.

The main one is on the drinker side front right under the outside corner of the dashboard near the speaker cover. But the water is not running down through the speaker hole because the carpet isnt wet on the wall inder the vent, just under the corner of the dash. I can't figure out where its coming from. its like it rains and the water just appears. This is the main one id like to track down.

I also seem to get water insside the rear driver side coor, and the passenger side front door during heavy rain.

Any help with these leaks would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i
    Start with sunroof drains. The car is 40 years old so chances are high your HVAC box seals are junk.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Continue with the cowl drains, one on each side. Pull the fender liner and there is a rubber grommet and inch or so by a couple three inches with a flap in it. Flap allows cowl water out. This being plugged usually leads to center of the dash leaks as that is where it would overflow first but maybe put these drain covers on your list.

My Cars
    1984 733I
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
    Start with sunroof drains. The car is 40 years old so chances are high your HVAC box seals are junk.
    I was figuring on the sunroof drains. is there a way to clean these out? do you need to remove all the inside trim? I am hoping its not the heater core. I dont smell any coolant so well fingers crossed on that at least untill its warm ehough to work in the garage again.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 8991XJ View Post
    Continue with the cowl drains, one on each side. Pull the fender liner and there is a rubber grommet and inch or so by a couple three inches with a flap in it. Flap allows cowl water out. This being plugged usually leads to center of the dash leaks as that is where it would overflow first but maybe put these drain covers on your list.
    This seems like a likely source. Is there any way to get to it without pulling the fendor liner? Is this a leak that would occour while parked? I would expect it while flinging water from the wheel, but maybe not so much while parked and not moving.

Thanks!

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Front side panel | BMW 7' E23 735i M30 Europe (bmwfans.info)
    It is part number 11 and since it is all the way over in the cowl area, you could flood that area and hope the water runs out or pull the fender liner behind the wheel and be right there where the part is removed from the car for cleaning and flushing the cowl.