Thread: Early DSP amp no sound at all

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan

Early DSP amp no sound at all

Just bought a 95 740i with only 80k miles. Nice car love it. Big issue is I have no sound from the stereo! Everything seems to turn on but no sound not even static noise. I have searched a lot and found some good info on the dsp systems. I thought I had this narrowed down to the head unit and bought a remaned unit. Still nothing. Now I am thinking maybe the amp but not certain. My cd changer has no cartridge so I can’t try that trick to see if I have sound via cd.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can test the amp ? Anyone have a spare amp ?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I can't remember if the old amps had fuses in them or not. The head unit/cassette player does but assume you check it and fuses in the trunk and ebox?

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    I did check the fuses. Everything is coming on up front just no sound.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    So I verified my amp is bad by swapping amps with the one from my sons e39. Now I need to know how to code another amp to the car ? Apparently the dsp Amps need coding. The e39 amp shuts off after 30 secs which is what I assume any amp I buy will do as well.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I've had it go both ways as far as coding. Been to long to recall the specifics but I believe my non-DSP car did not need coded when I replaced it with an amp from a same year parts car I had. A friend replaced his DSP amp but did not know info on the donor car. I had to code it for it to work properly. Believe I used NCS Expert to code.

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    Yes I have NCS but honestly have never used it. Would be great if someone could point me to some info for coding.

My Cars
    1995 Dinan 740il
    Me too (on the coding). I swapped my DSP amp and get my 30 seconds of sound but haven't been able to change the old coding. Grady

My Cars
    98 M3 sedan
    So just to close this thread out. My ended up replacing the head unit and this did not solve my issue. I then found a used dsp amp which was from the same model year and replaced it. This solved my problem. No coding was required. It seems the early model amps like mine (95) do not need coding. I did reinstall my original head unit and it was bad as well so oddly enough my car needed both an amp and a head unit.
    this was all very reasonably priced used though. Nice thing about these older models parts are not bad.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Good work. Thanks for the follow up.