Thread: 1 of 1 Z3 found in the U-Pull yard today?

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini

1 of 1 Z3 found in the U-Pull yard today?

I was up in a mid-Florida U -Pull yard today hunting E39 wagon parts today. There were a few new BMW additions to the yard, including three Z3’s.
    One was a color I have never seen, and figured it was a re-spray until I looked closer. The color is SepiaViolet Metallic, code 624/5. The car is a BMW “Individual”. The paint shifts colors from violet to blue to green to gold to brown, depending on the light and the angle. I didn’t have a camera (other than my crappy flip-phone), but did buy the fuel lid as a paint sample.
    The real crime is this car was in excellent shape, until it got flooded on the west coast in the hurricane in September. There was mud even on the tops of the sun visors. The U-Pull yard is setting 100’s of flood cars.
    The car had a production date of 4/99 and I wrote down the VIN number and peeled off the “Individual” sticker from under the hood. What a shame to loose such a unique Z3.
    -Donny

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    subbing to see this color...

Also, is that individual sticker re-usable? Any plans for it? >_>

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    You can see the colour here, but I'm not sure these photos really show it well: https://www.zroadster.net/tim/colors/z624-sepi.html

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    There was a zscca member at Zfest in Branson who worked for DuPont and had his roadster painted similarly but it was a DuPont paint. Only problem is it’s impossible to repair scratches and get a good match. Cool color though.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
    My understanding of the Individual Package on a BMW was it was not cheap just to get to the starting block. It was available on a variety of BMW models in different years. What a sad ending to find one scrapped albeit for a good reason. Do you recall if the colour of the interior was anything unique? @BladeRunner919, thank you for the link. that particular Z3 must have been a beauty.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Where is this yard, I want to go.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 2.8 Z3
    agreed

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    If anyone goes to see these Z3's I'd love to have the front turn signal light harnesses! They're just a bulb socket, about a foot of cable, and a plug to the main harness.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pima Roadster View Post
    My understanding of the Individual Package on a BMW was it was not cheap just to get to the starting block. It was available on a variety of BMW models in different years. What a sad ending to find one scrapped albeit for a good reason. Do you recall if the colour of the interior was anything unique? @BladeRunner919, thank you for the link. that particular Z3 must have been a beauty.
    The Individual options range from being a unique paint color to a completely customized car with unique paint, unique interior, unique trims and bespoke features. Cost can range from anywhere from a few thousand over standard for just paint, to doubling (or more) the cost of the car

The Z3 however, was produced in the US and the Spartanburg plant was not equipped to do proper Individual production. The non-US market has a higher demand for Individual models though, so what BMW did to satisfy this demand was produce small runs of limited edition "Individual" packages. ~10-50 models with specific combinations of paint, interior and features were produced in identical spec. There are a few Individual models that were made a little more unique - as I understand it, if you had a very close relationship with your dealership or knew someone at Spartanburg you were able to pull some strings to make this happen. However, almost all of these "Individual" Z3 models were produced merely by mixing and matching paint colors from non-M models to M models or mixing interiors with exterior colors they weren't usually allowed in. Examples of these include the palmetto green M roadster, the evergreen over Kyalami M roadster and the Impala Brown M coupe. There are also some velvet blue Z3's out there, produced around the time that Canada was receiving a small run (12 iirc) of Velvet Blue M Roadsters.

The car in this junkyard, I would assume, was built around the time that BMW was making a run of those Sonja Kiefer sepia violet roadsters. The one in the yard likely doesn't have the same interior, but the production was simplified by painting all of the sepia violet cars at the same time. This is in contrast to other Individual models where in some cases a single car js pulled off the production line and painted it's Individual color and then returned back into the normal production queue.

I'm not sure if Spartanburg does true Individual production even to this day. I know a few E53's had similar treatment to the Z3's but overall they were not allowed Individual customization either. Other BMW's, particularly for the European market, could be customized as far as "I want this seat panel to be this color, the bolsters to be this color and the centers to be that color and I want this color stitching". Z3's were never provided that level of customization at any point. It even seems like their own internal "last production M coupe" was a bit of a hassle to get made and it wasn't really *that* custom

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Best site I've found for the Individual models:

http://www.onlyz3.com/en/special_individual.html
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    The Individual car that is in the yard has what appears to be a standard “beige” interior, and an if I remember, an automatic transmission. I don’t think the seats were even sport seats.
    Yes, there is apparently at least another SepiaViolet roady ordered by Sonja Kiefer. Was her car part of a “batch” or just another single Individual. I could agree that these two (possibly more) may have been built together to simplify the production process.
    The color is very interesting, but not overly attractive. The photos of the Kiefer car shows only one of several shades. There are several more very different colors in golds and brown/bronzes, depending on the angle and light.
    The Individual sticker I removed has the number “Fg.Nr.LF70658”. The bottom line of the sticker reads “FUELLER SEPIAVIOLETT” Does anyone know how to interpret this info?
    Brent, The yard is Uncle Tony’s on US1 just north of Ft. Pierce, immediately north of 615. Its at the top of the only “hill” along there

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    If anyone goes to see these Z3's I'd love to have the front turn signal light harnesses! They're just a bulb socket, about a foot of cable, and a plug to the main harness.
    Keep in mind the 3 Z3s in this yard are flood cars; as in totally submerged in salt water, with batteries still connected! Plastic parts are probably OK, but anything electrical, including wire, is junk. I wanted the round trip computer from one. It completely crumbled to pieces and the circuit board looked like it was welded/burned.
    There are other yards around here with Z3s that aren’t flood victims. Are you looking for part of the harness that goes to the turn signal in the headlight unit, or the marker light in the bumper cover? Does side matter? What is “the plug to the main harness”? I expect I can find these parts if I know what you want.
    -Donny

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I expect Marty is talking about the turn signal "pigtails" into the headlight corner lights. Should be the socket, ~8" of wire, and a 2 pin plug to the "under hood" hardness at each individual corner. They are interchangeable side to side iirc.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    I expect Marty is talking about the turn signal "pigtails" into the headlight corner lights. Should be the socket, ~8" of wire, and a 2 pin plug to the "under hood" hardness at each individual corner. They are interchangeable side to side iirc.
    You are correct sir! I am using an LED conversion that has a terrible adapter that is causing problems, and I want to just splice the wiring to fix, but I want a set of original wires in case I decide to switch back.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    If I make it to a yard this week, I’ll see what I can find. I’ve never had need to mess with that part of the wiring on my cars, yet.
    -Donny

My Cars
    z3
    I need one of those little turn signal harnesses too... I found one in my spare parts bin, but need another. I'm sure I have like 5 just hanging out somewhere but my boxes of shop stuff are a disorganized mess at the moment... going through it all but, it's a tinge overwhelming to be honest

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I need one of those little turn signal harnesses too... I found one in my spare parts bin, but need another. I'm sure I have like 5 just hanging out somewhere but my boxes of shop stuff are a disorganized mess at the moment... going through it all but, it's a tinge overwhelming to be honest

If you still have that disassembled S62 laying about feel free to slap a shipping label on it to me to get it out of your way to save you the headache. Also accepting S54 oil pan and pump in good condition

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by robb1887 View Post
    If you still have that disassembled S62 laying about feel free to slap a shipping label on it to me to get it out of your way to save you the headache. Also accepting S54 oil pan and pump in good condition
    Oh yeah, totally, sounds great. I'll get that thrown into a flat rate USPS box and get it out tomorrow

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    I'll PM you shipping details. Thanks!