Thread: Door panel fastener holders

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1992 535i

Door panel fastener holders

Does anyone know if the part that is glued to the door card, where the white fastener clips into, is available as an individual part? Didn't see them on realoem. The door cards on my E34 are all screwed into the door with sheet metal screws. I have taken the driver door card off and they are all MIA on that one so I am fairly certain it is going to be the same story on the rest. Worst case I will just paint the screws black but rather use the OEM fasteners if possible.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2022-11-29 at 8.55.25 PM.jpg

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5
    I usually take the pieces off a junk peeling panel if a nice panel is missing the plastic bits. If your panels have holes from screws and are peeling, it's probably best to just get some new-to-you panels. There's no part number for them because it's part of the door panel itself.
    1990 Alpine 535i/5 - BC Coilovers, LSD, M5 Swaybars, 540 Brakes, A/C Mods, Sport Seats
    1986 Alpine 528e - 500k+ miles daily driver
    1992 Island 525i/5
    1988 Alpine/Indigo 735i/5

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I don't think they are, but you could go to the junkyard and grab them off of other door panels... they have specific positions but as long as you match everything up, you'll be good. Then some epoxy/E6000 + clamps to put new ones on.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Not sold separately.
    They are identified with numbers and I believe the panels are symmetrical so if a position for the left door card is missing but the right is extant you hopefully have the appropriate identifier. Some of the top corner pieces I think are exclusive to a particular door card.
    Having sent a number of E34s to their final rest I've removed and saved many of these from poor condition door cards.
    If you can specify which you need I would likely have them. Alternately, I'd sell the whole lot, 50 pcs. or so, which almost assuredly would serve your needs.
    Let me know(PM) if that interests you.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-30-2022 at 09:46 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95 540iT/6, W8 Wagon 6sp
    Does anyone have a specific recommendation for glue on these things? I've used some "plastic weld" but it wasn't good enough to survive +40C, -20C, and the occasional door panel removal. That's even with roughening up the surface of both the plastic clip and also the old glue.

My Cars
    95 525, 93 M5, 05 X5 x2
    Quote Originally Posted by eddycooper View Post
    Does anyone have a specific recommendation for glue on these things? I've used some "plastic weld" but it wasn't good enough to survive +40C, -20C, and the occasional door panel removal. That's even with roughening up the surface of both the plastic clip and also the old glue.
    I have reattached a few of these and have had good results with J-B Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy. This stuff takes longer to set (4-6 hours) and longer to completely cure ( 24 hours) but the wait is worth it. Make sure you get the part properly aligned by using the old glue marks as a guide otherwise they won't align well on the door.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Epoxy

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I used to use hot glue, but that didn't hold well enough. The latest round of gluing, I used E6000 and a bunch of clamps I bought from Lowe's, much better results. At this point the clips feel like they'll take a chunk of the door panel with them, it's that strong of a bond. I've successfully removed one of these glued door panels without anything coming apart.

1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    JB Weld (the two part kind) is the way to go. Wait 24 hours after clamping them down and the are good forever. So far my 4 doors have survived the CA heat with no problems.

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1992 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Not sold separately.
    They are identified with numbers and I believe the panels are symmetrical so if a position for the left door card is missing but the right is extant you hopefully have the appropriate identifier. Some of the top corner pieces I think are exclusive to a particular door card.
    Having sent a number of E34s to their final rest I've removed and saved many of these from poor condition door cards.
    If you can specify which you need I would likely have them. Alternately, I'd sell the whole lot, 50 pcs. or so, which almost assuredly would serve your needs.
    Appreciate all the input. @ross1 I will hit you up after I get the other panels off and see what I am dealing with exactly. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    I usually take the pieces off a junk peeling panel if a nice panel is missing the plastic bits. If your panels have holes from screws and are peeling, it's probably best to just get some new-to-you panels. There's no part number for them because it's part of the door panel itself.
    Aside from the 2-3 holes the panels are in good shape, the wood too. Shame the PO had to take the quick route.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I don't think they are, but you could go to the junkyard and grab them off of other door panels... they have specific positions but as long as you match everything up, you'll be good. Then some epoxy/E6000 + clamps to put new ones on.
    Always looking but hard to find, at least around here. These panels go for big money on ebay. There are E34s on FB marketplace that are listed for $4k and I can see at least one door missing the panel entirely. Crazy!

My Cars
    2001 330ci, 1992 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Not sold separately.
    PM sent, thanks!

My Cars
    various
    I've previously tried gorilla glue, white glue and hot glue. All failed due to the hot / cold cycling. Have recently has success using Tremco Dymonic 100 sealant. I know, its not a glue but this stuff is ridiculously sticky and stays flexible and maintains its adhesive properties even when cured (which takes a good 24 hours). Since most of my panels were de-laminating from the cardboard form I had to clamp most of the perimeter of each door card. So far so good.

dymonic_100.jpg