Thread: PPF on z3 hood..sections or 1 entire piece?

My Cars
    Z3m

PPF on z3 hood..sections or 1 entire piece?

Has anyone had a PPF put on a z3 entire hood…I am being told by some it needs to be 3 sections (with seams)…but also hearing from others it can be one entire piece/no seams…..anyone ever had this done?

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    No. Whoever is telling you it is in sections has no idea what they are talking about, and you need to run far away.

Here is the template from XPEL for the full hood - Full Hood and Mirror Kit (ULTIMATE PLUS) (xpel.com)

If you have an installer saying it is three pieces, they should not be used as it is clear they do not have enough experience and/or have no idea what they are talking about. Any certified installer would plug your car in, and that template I linked to is what they would be printing at their shop with a template cutter.

This tells me they likely just have XPEL (or whatever PPF they are using) on a certain size roll, and do not have the equipment/licensing with XPEL to print out the template. That or like many, refuse to pay Xpel for the template and are just cheapskates pocketing more money.

By the way, you can use the XPEL website to look at the various kits for cars, and those prices you see listed on XPEL's website are pretty close to what an installer has to pay XPEL in both the raw material cost in PPF, and the licensing/use cost for the template. This is why $2k for the full hood, and front bumper on a Z3M, with maybe a few other trim pieces thrown in, is a fair price.

Please continue to report back any PPF installer you are dealing with on here, and I can tell you if you're going to end up with a bullshit cut job on your car or not. There are very tell-tale signs, always.
    Last edited by mchart; 11-29-2022 at 08:18 PM.

My Cars
    Z3m
    chart....thanks so much for your reply..... Your validating what I have been thinking.... Today I actually called Xpel 2X to validate that it is a single piece... I have called other authorized Xpel installers and some have said may do it in sections while others have said they do it with a single piece..... I have the feeling that some installers either don't have access to the templates, either don't have the skill set to do this correctly or are cutting corners because the right way takes them too long to do.... But again thanks for your comments... Very helpful

My Cars
    Z3m
    mchart.

I've been calling around to XPEL authorized dealers and getting mixed answers..... There is a good amount of them saying that the kit/template on the XPEL website (below URL... This is basically what you sent me) absolutely is in three sections... they're saying that's what the black lines are from the front to the back indicate...... so again I'm a bit confused...... I will continue to call dealers and see what results I get
    https://www.xpel.com/Full-Hood-and-M...LTIMATE-PLUS_7

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3ms52 View Post
    mchart.

I've been calling around to XPEL authorized dealers and getting mixed answers..... There is a good amount of them saying that the kit/template on the XPEL website (below URL... This is basically what you sent me) absolutely is in three sections... they're saying that's what the black lines are from the front to the back indicate...... so again I'm a bit confused...... I will continue to call dealers and see what results I get
    https://www.xpel.com/Full-Hood-and-M...LTIMATE-PLUS_7
    I don't have the software available - The template could very well be three pieces, but any competent installer will just print it without the cuts on each side and just install it as one sheet.

My Cars
    Z3m
    got it thanks....I'm beginning to believe the key word is "competent"....or should I say what is their level of competence?....I need to find an installer that is confident/confident enough to say "yes I've done this on Z3's and comfortable doing it in one piece"

Again thanks for your feedback

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3ms52 View Post
    got it thanks....I'm beginning to believe the key word is "competent"....or should I say what is their level of competence?....I need to find an installer that is confident/confident enough to say "yes I've done this on Z3's and comfortable doing it in one piece"

Again thanks for your feedback
    Not really doing Z3's, but just someone who can look at it, know what they're working with, and know they can do it on one sheet. There are far more complicated one-piece panels than the Z3 hood.