Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Post: '01 530/5, a 6cyl invades my stable

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Wow! That is a steal! The I6s may be slower than the V8s, but they feel the most balanced in the E39 chassis for me. I always loved silver on the E39s, especially with the body color moldings. Was the window trim wrapped or did the previous owner install the M5 gloss black trim?

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    Gzilla,
    I didn't notice the gloss.
    Might be an obstacle illusion!
    Last night, I took the New old battery the OO installed off the charger, and viola, it's holding a charge! (no shit, I have the receipt for the battery, less than 100miles on it.)
    Snap-On battery tester confirmed it's in good shape.

As for the "Thread jacking", pray carry on.
    Much is gleaned from the right or left turn from the original thread.
    Unless, of course, it divulges into an oil discussion...

Probably won't get started on this until after the New Year.
    The wife takes over my garage, and I find many reasons to work overtime at this time of year.

Best,
    Hb

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Well if it's been sitting for a while and you do run into issues when trying to start it I'll give a brief run-down.

Rough running-------

Intake boot is known to crack

Crankcase ventilation tubes break

Obvious things like bad fuel/clogged filter

Crank no start--------

Fuel pump died while sitting (locked up)

Perhaps crank sensor wiring/sensor

No crank no start-----

There is a fusebox under the passenger carpet that likes to rot if exposed to moisture

Check starter wires.

That's just an off the top of my head list of things that may happen because it sat.

That engine is gonna sound horrible when you first crank it up if it's really been sitting a while. The hydraulic lifters loose the oil in them so you basically get 24 lifters ticking in unison.

After a quick highway jaunt at 3k rpm for 3 minutes or so they will quiet down.

I would put something in the cylinders it it were me due to how long its sat, maybe a little fogging oil or something.

Also check the little cubby the brake booster resides in, they like to accumulate water and it will suck it through the brake booster and trash the engine (and tranny if you are unlucky like me). I've attached pictures of the potential carnage if it decides to suck in water. There is a little drain hole in there that gets clogged up, clear it out if there is standing water.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    hiss by my window

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
    That was comprehensive

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    Self-made inspection holes?

Thanks.
    I didn't think of the water in that recess.

I have new boots on order.
    Not even going to mess with the old ones.

Not to rub it in, but we live in a fairly dry, warm climate.
    I doubt there would be any standing water anywhere, except where I blasted it when I cleaned the engine compartment.

Flogging oil?
    Use it nightly...

Thanks again for the tips!

Tom

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Congrats! As owner of both a V8 and i6 I gotta say the manual i6s are better cars IMHO. And if you ignore the nay sayers they're not actually that slower than the 540i.
    Somebody said that the 530i/5 was he best in the e39 lineup and I kind of agree considering you guys didn't get the 530d MTs up there.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    I6 is a good car but it's definitely substantially slower then the 540i. Makes less power, much less torque, much less under the curve. It's not slow or anything like that but it is slower then a 540i. We've got both. The 540 puts 2 cars on the 530 0-60

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 Msport Sedan
    Sweet! I'd make it into a well maintained and tuned DD and drive it for the next 30 years..
    A great ending is all you'll see..
    __________________________________________________ _____________

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    Oil pump nut certainly can destroy an engine.
    Oil pump nut failure rate is extremely low compared to the number of M62's that have timing chain guide failures. Pretty much any M62 can develop TCG issues but oil pump nut problems only affects cars that are beaten on regularly, or extremely high mileage, with maybe very few exceptions....

Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    I6 is a good car but it's definitely substantially slower then the 540i. Makes less power, much less torque, much less under the curve. It's not slow or anything like that but it is slower then a 540i. We've got both. The 540 puts 2 cars on the 530 0-60
    If that is true then there is something seriously wrong with your 530i. A 540i is not even a full second faster in the 1/4 mile. In fact I've seen quite a few times where they are nearly side by side down the strip. Even my lowly 525i hung close enough to a 540i for the 540i owner to feel rather embarrassed...
    The 530i has a higher redline, it is lighter and it's geared more aggressively. 540i is a good car but dang man there's no need to slander the M54's lol

Really the bigger, sadder truth is except the M5 there aren't really any fast E39's by today's standards... even an M5 will get smoked by most modern BMW's. So if we are talking just driving enjoyment, it'd be the better balanced, lighter, steering rack equipped I6 model for me any day... (then again, this is being said by someone who put a BMW V8 into a car that originally came with an I6, so maybe I'm a hypocrite)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    530 is an auto, not sure how problematic that is. Sure it factors into it. I'm not slandering the m54, just giving it the same treatment people give to m62 engines.

Joking aside, the m54 is dead reliable. A fantastically smooth motor, and a rock solid performer when it comes to overall balance.

540 has a better trans, diff, and engine (depending on how you see things)

530 has a better front suspension setup, better steering linkage, and lower weight (also slightly better weight balance.)

Last edited by seagreen323i; 12-09-2022 at 08:40 PM.

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    Man, I'm Geeked at having this new ride in the inventory!

Can't wait to start the restoration.
    Some added pics of the engine compartment, post clean.

I PM'd another member whose opinion I hold in high esteem, and he is not high on the Catch-Can conversion.
    Granted, on this car, the CCV was replaced not that long ago, in terms of miles, maybe 30k. (6 yrs in terms of time).
    I was going to use the "50's Kid" CC example that he built for his E46.
    Any differing opinions?

LOL on the V8 compared to modern cars.
    It seems that even a Corolla is much faster off the line than my 540.
    That said, my experience in the 70mph to 120mph range the 540 has few peers, especially if you have a 6spd.
    And yes, I have been smoked by many a late model off the line in the M5. (My crappy driving not withstanding)
    But I ain't like that no more.

Thanks to all who have given their opinions.
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    z3
    Catch cans are stupid. If the CCV system is broken just fix it.

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    BB,

Not broken that I know of, but you certainly don't mince words.

Thanks,
    Hb

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Catch cans are stupid. If the CCV system is broken just fix it.
    Catch cans have their place. Increased ring gap due to boost increases blowby. That will quickly overwhelm the stock ccv system.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Quote from Bimmerbreaker;
    If
    that is true then there is something seriously wrong with your 530i. A 540i is not even a full second faster in the 1/4 mile. In fact I've seen quite a few times where they are nearly side by side down the strip. Even my lowly 525i hung close enough to a 540i for the 540i owner to feel rather embarrassed...
    The 530i has a higher redline, it is lighter and it's geared more aggressively. 540i is a good car but dang man there's no need to slander the M54's lol

Really the bigger, sadder truth is except the M5 there aren't really any fast E39's by today's standards... even an M5 will get smoked by most modern BMW's. So if we are talking just driving enjoyment, it'd be the better balanced, lighter, steering rack equipped I6 model for me any day... (then again, this is being said by someone who put a BMW V8 into a car that originally came with an I6, so maybe I'm a hypocrite)[/QUOTE]

A few years ago when I bought my 525 wagon, a friend picked me up with his 540 to take me over to pick it up. He had never seen an E39 with a supercharger (neither had I). On the drive home on I 95, he egged me on to see what my car would do. He blew by me, so I took off after him. I quickly caught him and put a 100 yards on him till I backed down. He couldn’t believe how much faster I was. I figured he backed off after passing, but he said he never lifted until I backed off.
    When I was looking at E39s, the first car I drove was a 528, then I drove a 540, and it felt much “heavier” and less nimble than the I6 car. I knew which version I preferred. Then I got lucky finding my wagon. I just need the time to swap in the 6 speed and M54b30.
    By the way, my car came with a catch-can, but its likely there for a reason. I’ll re-sort that when it gets repowered. This car should have the best of both worlds.
    -Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 12-10-2022 at 11:06 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    With your engine compartment photos, I assume you pulled the cam cover trim, and airbox, etc. as part of your cleanup? Or is that how you got the car? It does look clean. Have you gotten it started yet?
    -Donny

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
    Virgin no more...

I recently came across a 530 5speed in need of a new home.

$2500.00
    236k on the clock
    Original owner, with folder full of receipts ($20,495.00 over the life of the car)
    Car sat for 5years (plausible story for the long sleep)
    Most of the 6cyl maint items have been addressed in the last 30k miles.
    Paint flawless
    Interior outstanding
    Rims near perfect

On a total impulse, I bought this car that my neighbor found while on the job.
    Having limited knowledge of the M54, BMW forums are a good thing...

Still, I feel like an infidel.

Some of the receipts a

Pics for your consideration.

Tom
    Ya know, I'd more than likely be more than happy to spare you any 6 cylinder embarrassment... Wouldn't want you to feel like an infidel...
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by haolibird View Post
    I PM'd another member whose opinion I hold in high esteem, and he is not high on the Catch-Can conversion....
    I posted a link earlier in this thread; a how-to for replacing the entire CCV system with a simpler and far less troublesome PCV valve. I've not done this conversion myself (yet) but it does appear to be a popular conversion for I6 owners. Does have some controversy though. Maybe CCV is an example of Bavarian over-engineering? From what I can tell, this is not a catch-can solution either. Interesting discussion on its effectiveness in the original thread:

https://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...-problems.html
    Last edited by sleuth255; 12-11-2022 at 10:39 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    I posted a link earlier in this thread; a how-to for replacing the entire CCV system with a simpler and far less troublesome PCV valve. I've not done this conversion myself (yet) but it does appear to be a popular conversion for I6 owners. Does have some controversy though. Maybe CCV is an example of Bavarian over-engineering? From what I can tell, this is not a catch-can solution either. Interesting discussion on its effectiveness in the original thread:

https://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...-problems.html
    I get it that nobody likes changing or paying for the CCV. Mrs. Ross' froze up one year and isn't a pleasant job, nothing under the intake of these is.
    A simpler maintenance idea might be to replace the drain hose to the dipstick once in a while as this seems to be where the congealed schmutz from condensation and oil fumes collects.
    Cars that aren't garaged in cold climates and see short trips seem to be the likely victims. Can't use a garage if you don't have one but you can get the car out and run it.
    I've installed the "cold weather" version (which seems to simply be some insulation around a few of the pipes) on another's car recently. That one was a bigger PITA as all the hoses are now bloated from the insulation.
    The "solutions" I see offered all appear a bit makeshift. Like some other bits, once in a decade problems are fine by me. I don't feel the need to re-engineer the system.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-11-2022 at 10:20 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Mine gets about 1000mi/qt and I've replaced the CCV twice now. I definitely fall into the class of "short trip/cold climate" owners. The theory behind the PCV mod reducing oil consumption in an M54 is that the increased crankcase vacuum equalizes the pressure differential on the intake stroke which keeps oil from moving past the more ineffective oil ring in these engines.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 12-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    That seems implausible. The oil is a film on the cyl walls, no amount of crankcase vacuum is going to change that. The oil mist needs to be separated out, vented or burned, take your pick. What am I missing?
    Last edited by ross1; 12-11-2022 at 10:53 AM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Its what I was reading on the thread I linked. According to posters there, on an M54, the oil ring gap becomes excessive very quickly which in turn creates an excessive oil consumption condition. Seemed to be a reasonable explanation as to why the mod instantly decreased consumption about 4 fold.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 12-11-2022 at 11:14 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    Its what I was reading on the thread I linked. According to posters there, on an M54, the oil ring gap becomes excessive very quickly which in turn creates an excessive oil consumption condition. Seemed to be a reasonable explanation as to why the mod instantly decreased consumption about 4 fold.
    I see. My thoughts were regarding the freezing issue, I didn't consider oil burning M54s. M52s don't seem to suffer that problem.
    I'll do some reading and educate myself.
    So, did some reading of that thread. Looks like all of the oil mist in the rocker cover is now just going to be burned after being introduced to the intake tract.
    Another thought about the set up described in that thread is that the old style crankcase venting this fellow emulates required venting to atmosphere. That would certainly wreak havoc on the fuel mixtures with all the unmetered air.
    Just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
    Last edited by ross1; 12-11-2022 at 01:12 PM.

My Cars
    03 540, 03 M5, 99 540iT
    KeysCoupe,
    Yes, I have all the components.
    They were pulled for cleaning purposes, and now reside in the trunk.

Mike WW,
    I appreciate the Aloha!

I'm gonna swallow my pride, and see how this one shakes out.

Until my wife takes down the Christmas deco's, my garage is not mine...
    All work will have to wait until the New Year.

I hope to get to it soon after the Tundra's timing belt replacement.
    The 530 is undercover in a friends storage lot for now.

The catch can debate is interesting, as I thought it was sussed out long ago.
    By admission, I would only slightly scan I6 post at the 'Fest, as they held little interest for me.

Just for fun...My slowwww M5.

Mahalo,
    Hb
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I see. My thoughts were regarding the freezing issue, I didn't consider oil burning M54s. M52s don't seem to suffer that problem.
    Yeah, as similar as they are, M52s and TUs which are really M54s without drive by wire, don't burn oil, at all, with reasonable care. M54s often do. I've been hearing more about worn rings in recent years, but for a long time it was mostly attributed to low tension rings trying to squeeze out every last MPG, then not working as well with age, especially if the factory extended oil changes were used which could either seize the rings or clog up the drain holes in the pistons, leading to sometimes severe oil consumption.

I feel like a salesman for them I plug them so much, but Liqui Moly 5-40 LL 01 made a dramatic difference in my M54. Not entirely sure why it works, but it does for me.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...he-usual-story
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast