Thread: E39 prelift m52b28 alternative for oem maf.

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996

E39 prelift m52b28 alternative for oem maf.

Hello, I need an alternative for oem maf which in my case costs 350$+. I've heard that you could buy bosch, even vdo which was a supplier for oem and they worked great but those options are no more availiable. To be precise I mean 5wk9600 maf.

I've found some brands of mafs that look interesting
    Hella [COLOR=var(--color-foreground-primary)]8ET009142061
    Fispa 38.606
    Bremi 30121

Does anyone know something about those mafs and could recommend something?

Of course if they're all bad I'm gonna choose the oe one or your other proposition
    [/COLOR]

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by kat1337 View Post
    Hello, I need an alternative for oem maf which in my case costs 350$+. I've heard that you could buy bosch, even vdo which was a supplier for oem and they worked great but those options are no more availiable. To be precise I mean 5wk9600 maf.

I've found some brands of mafs that look interesting
    Hella [COLOR=var(--color-foreground-primary)]8ET009142061
    Fispa 38.606
    Bremi 30121

Does anyone know something about those mafs and could recommend something?

Of course if they're all bad I'm gonna choose the oe one or your other proposition
    [/COLOR]
    Well, way way back I purchased (and am still running) a new Siemens/VDO unit with the same part number for about one-third the BMW price. It was intended for a Hyundai Sonata (2001 V6 model). Are Hyundais of that vintage in Poland?

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Hella is the OEM MAF for my 530i (M54B30) and it costs < $100. I've not had a problem with it either. I don't think its OEM for your M52 however. I wouldn't accept anything less than OEM for this part. I've had too many bad experiences on various cars....
    Last edited by sleuth255; 11-28-2022 at 11:15 PM.

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    That's actually sad m52 not so far from m54. On ebay those hellas are popular. People wouldnt buy if it would suck..

So vdo is not availiable anywhere?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    See post #2

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    See post #2
    That won't work.

Early E39s come with a different MAF than latter years. This is NOT the Siemens that's easily replaceable with a Hyundai part.

The part# of the MAF the OP has (which is the same as mine) is probably this: 13621703275. There are Bremi, Siemens and VDO versions (all 3 brands are OE so they will all be good quality. If you see the Bremi for a good price, get that one). I have never seen a valid aftermarket replacement for those, Kat. If you need something even cheaper, you'd probably have more luck asking the E36 community since those were way more common there.

This is the old MAF in question:

This is the newer MAF for comparison:
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 11-29-2022 at 10:27 AM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I see, pre TU. I think used all the way back to M50s.
    Plenty of aftermarket sources for the OE part.
    OP, search the part #

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post

That won't work.
    Uh-oh, you're right. Sorry kat, I have a '99 with the TU engine.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I see, pre TU. I think used all the way back to M50s.
    Plenty of aftermarket sources for the OE part.
    OP, search the part #
    There are surprisingly few aftermarket alternatives for that one. You do have OE choices, but nothing like another car brand using the same part and charging way less for it (e.g. Hyundai). Outside of OE brands, I just wouldn't risk it given how a crappy MAF can leave you stranded.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Bremi looking decent price at FCP. Not sure if they ship to Poland.
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...SABEgIslPD_BwE
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    z3
    Personally I'd find a used one from a car being parted out or a junkyard. They aren't a super common failure item

Also worth verifying the MAF is bad. A lot of "air" related codes may seem to indicate MAF but those types of codes more often than not end up being vacuum leaks or stuff of that nature

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    I get all of you say bimmerbreaker I understand how air leaks works no need to explain,the thing is since I bought the car there is topran maf ����.

Answering to earlier posts
    I've never see bremi in oem ��
    I've already ordered hella one because of recommendation of a seller and I can reutrn it with 0% of loss so I'll test it and return if bad.

And bremi is availiable in Poland so dont worry.

I'll try first with hella

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Bremi is everywhere in your car, just look around. Your original coils are almost surely made by Bremi, as one example. That manufacturer became less common as E39s evolved but in earlier ones (and E36s and so on) Bremi is commonplace and one of the best brands you can get.

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    Hmmm... Im not lying i've never seen bremi in my car my coils are bosch

- - - Updated - - -

If hella will have bad readings I'll just return it and get bremi

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    I'm thinking of something....
    I have a theory that there's more compatible mafs than just 5wk9600 to my car.
    I don't have any arguments for that but theoretically I could order multiple mafs from lets say vdo which are availiable for older bmw and visually inspect the inside components then just return the ones that are completely different. If I'd do that it would make huge savings for people in my case..
    Average vdo maf for older bmw is +- 100$

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    If you are wiling to do the homework that's great. Just remember to report back here on your findings.

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    Thats what im planning to do

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    There are surprisingly few aftermarket alternatives for that one. You do have OE choices, but nothing like another car brand using the same part and charging way less for it (e.g. Hyundai). Outside of OE brands, I just wouldn't risk it given how a crappy MAF can leave you stranded.
    My experience is a bad MAF won't leave you stranded. Well, at least on the TU cars. Actually it will run better when it's bad if you unplug it. Again, on TUs when they go bad they shift very hard on A/T cars.

No telling how good, but Amazon, at least here in the US, has a ton of options, most of them probably crappy.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    I had to graph mine out to tell that it was bad. Pretty easy process. Requires an OBD tool that can show MAF flow. I used BlueDriver which shows flow in grams per second

1. Plot the horizontal points along the bottom of the graph paper for: 1000, 1250, 1500, 1750, 2000,2250 rpm.
    2. Mark increments of grams per second up the left side. To create the vertical scale, use the value you read at idle to determine the baseline value. Then mark each line above in equal increments.
    3. Run the engine at each of the above-mentioned speeds and record the MAF sensor PID values on the graph.

Results for a good MAF should be a straight line.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 11-30-2022 at 10:55 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike WW View Post
    My experience is a bad MAF won't leave you stranded. Well, at least on the TU cars. Actually it will run better when it's bad if you unplug it. Again, on TUs when they go bad they shift very hard on A/T cars.

No telling how good, but Amazon, at least here in the US, has a ton of options, most of them probably crappy.
    Mine (non TU and manual) simply doesn't accelerate with the MAF unplugged. It bogs down. You can somewhat limp short distances but if you're somewhere far you're SOL. Not sure if that's just mine or all single VANOS M52s. I've driven TU and M54 E39s and they behave just as you said.

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by sleuth255 View Post
    I had to graph mine out to tell that it was bad. Pretty easy process. Requires an OBD tool that can show MAF flow. I used BlueDriver which shows flow in grams per second

1. Plot the horizontal points along the bottom of the graph paper for: 1000, 1250, 1500, 1750, 2000,2250 rpm.
    2. Mark increments of grams per second up the left side. To create the vertical scale, use the value you read at idle to determine the baseline value. Then mark each line above in equal increments.
    3. Run the engine at each of the above-mentioned speeds and record the MAF sensor PID values on the graph.

Results for a good MAF should be a straight line.

Woah thats actually very helpfull information... I could figure it out on my own but yeah thanks

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport

My Cars
    e39 528i 1996
    Thank you