Thread: Anyone with an AK90 programmer? Near Portland, OR is bonus

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 00 328 coupe

Anyone with an AK90 programmer? Near Portland, OR is bonus

Anyone out there use an AK90 programmer successfully? If so and you can point me to a specific seller for the AK90 and or the blank key with chip you are my hero.

I see very mixed reviews for AK90 units as well as blank keys with chips.

Bonus if you are in the Portland Oregon area and have an AK90 and could help.

Thanks!
    Jon

My Cars
    e46 & e82
    Yeah, I have successfully made myself and a few other people complete extra set of working keys. I purchased everything (including laser key cutter) from aliexpress.

I used the AK90+ to dump the EWS Module's initial firmware to my computer as backup. Then I flashed the new key to the EWS Module and then dumped that firmware as another backup (obviously named differently). Then I cut the blanks with my laser key cutter. I also did the diammond keyfob to rectangle "switchblade" keyfob upgrade which I dont really recommend because the rectangle keyfob cases are cheaply made and dont last too long.

I got the AK90+ in like 2016 and still have it. I used it a few months ago actually. You can get them on amazon now for like $27 and if it dont work then you can always return, but I can't see it not working. 99% of the time it is from user error and not the hardware.

You then will need blank key fob, internal remote electronics and the transponder chip. some places sell the complete spare key with everything u need. I on the other hand didn't want just to make one key so I sourced the parts individually from various vendors on aliexpress. It cost me less to have 10 full sets of keys ready to be cut/programmed vs buying 10 completes from one vender. Things you need to know is the chip ID (e46 is ID44) and the frequency for the remote (mine was 315mhz) and the key blade type (mine was HU92).
    I don't know what model bmw you want to make keys for, but a quick google will provide you with the answer.

I have the software v3.19 (is the best version) and the proper drivers for the AK90+ to be recognized by computer. It uses FTDi Chip to interface with computer and you can get the drivers from their website: https://ftdichip.com/drivers/

I have an older netbook that runs a custom stripped down version of winXP that has all my BMW diagnostic, programming software (Inpa, Edibias, NCS Dummy etc.) I never connect it to the internet and it is just used for BMWs. I only bring this up because all those programs work best on XP and you generally have to certain tweaks to get those progs running on any OS newer the XP. I had issues when trying to get this USB dongle I needed to flash a tune on my e82 (nothing to do with key programming). The setup overwrote the FTDI drivers with a newer version that broke everything including AK90+. By break I mean nothing would get detected anymore when ya plugged it in. I had to revert back to the legacy driver version (v2.08.24) I was using before to get it working again. It is available on their website and the file is CDM20824_Setup.exe. Just something to keep in mind when you install the software and device doesn't get detected.

The other issue you might run into is when trying to get the AK90+ to read the EWS Module. the circuitboard has this orange colored coating on it that you have to carefully scrape it off the legs of the chip using a knife. If not then the ceramic plugin that fits over the chip wont be able to read it. It sounds scarier then it is. Scraping it off is easy and doesnt take a whole lot of pressure. When you put the ceramic plug on top of chip, you want to make sure it is flat and then press it down as evenly as possible.

I'm not in Oregon so cant physically help ya, but if you have any other questions then feel free to ask in this thread.

My Cars
    BMW06 325XI,CHV04 2500HD
    Yeah Man Iv got a ak90 that i used to code a new key for my 2006 325xi. i live in Eugene but will be up in Portland in about a week or so. If you want to buy a blank key off amazon or something, pm me your contact details and we can link up to program the thing when i am up there. or if you want to take a trip down here, assuming you have pulled the key code. that works too just let me know.

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 00 328 coupe
    Sterlin - you are in deep.........if I run into issues I will get back to you - thank you for the comprehensive info!

- - - Updated - - -

randomelements - I would love to connect next time you are in Portland. I ordered the ak90 keys and chips..........ak90 showed up and CD was in 5 pieces with sleeve ripped a bit......how in the heck does that happen? Sent it back and ordered another but if I can get it done with someone who has it set up on a laptop already I'm down for that.
    I'll try and DM you and we can connect. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by randomelements View Post
    Yeah Man Iv got a ak90 that i used to code a new key for my 2006 325xi. i live in Eugene but will be up in Portland in about a week or so. If you want to buy a blank key off amazon or something, pm me your contact details and we can link up to program the thing when i am up there. or if you want to take a trip down here, assuming you have pulled the key code. that works too just let me know.
    98 m3 coupe
    00 328 coupe

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 00 328 coupe
    randomelements - could'nt send PM through your profile- you may have private messages turned off? ........if you would please hit me up on IG same name mjpapajon
    thanks
    Jon
    Last edited by mjpapajon; 12-04-2022 at 08:59 PM.
    98 m3 coupe
    00 328 coupe

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpapajon View Post
    randomelements - could'nt send PM through your profile- you may have private messages turned off? ........if you would please hit me up on IG same name mjpapajon
    thanks
    Jon
    New member, PMs are disabled as we live in a scammer's world. Lets hope he sees our post.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    e46 & e82
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpapajon View Post
    Sterlin - you are in deep.........if I run into issues I will get back to you - thank you for the comprehensive info!
    Youre welcome and feel free to ask if ya need help. Im always happy to share the knowledge I learn.. The first 2 bmw's I bought only had one key each so it was cheaper for me to buy the AK90+, 10 complete blank keys and the laser key cutter. although, I did end up getting the key cutter for free, but even if I had paid for it the total cost was still way under what the stealership wanted to charge me. wayyyy cheaper.

My Cars
    98 M3 coupe 00 328 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlin View Post
    Youre welcome and feel free to ask if ya need help. Im always happy to share the knowledge I learn.. The first 2 bmw's I bought only had one key each so it was cheaper for me to buy the AK90+, 10 complete blank keys and the laser key cutter. although, I did end up getting the key cutter for free, but even if I had paid for it the total cost was still way under what the stealership wanted to charge me. wayyyy cheaper.
    Ha - our local stealerships won't even grace me with a reply after I use the online form THEY request for contact......

If you don't mind sharing - what key cutter did you purchase and how has it performed and held up?
    I did a quick look at key cutting machines and there is such a wide range of products out there........
    Thanks
    98 m3 coupe
    00 328 coupe

My Cars
    e46 & e82
    I bought the key cutter, HSS Flute bit, and a pair of multifunction key clamping fixtures that makes cutting the car keys way easier:
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251800461669370.html
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832718122391.html
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800199983104.html
    The cutter comes with a few flute bits in different sizes, but I bought a specific size for my keys (prolly the same for all BMW keys). it is 3x6x8x52
    the first number is the important one and it is the width of the head (the part that cuts). 3mm width makes up the majority of the cut with it getting wider at the very tip. You can use a smaller size head if you had to, but takes longer because you have to fill the gap.
    Ive cut tons of keys for myself and others and the machine hasnt failed me yet. You just need to put a little oil on the drill bit when you make your cuts. You can even make your own because it is just a small milling machine with 2 heads. One to trace existing key and one to cut the blank. The thing is so cheap that you dont really save much when building your own.

I ended up getting mine for free because the sliding plates were off and when I complained I was just trying to get a discount because it wasnt that big of a deal. They responded with asking me for pictures so I took some at angles that made it look worse. They didnt respond by the deadline so Aliexpress refunded me my money and told me to toss it in the garbage because sending it back wouldnt be cost effective. It turned out that the plates were off because the holes werent cut out of alignment by a little bit so I drilled one of them a tad bit wider and it works flawless.

The links are for demonstration purposes only. I didnt use any of those vendors. I bought mine back in 2018 and dont know which ones I used.
    Last edited by sterlin; 12-08-2022 at 04:27 AM.