Thread: Already lost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi wagon

Already lost

New member, New to the BMW cars... 2001 325xi wagon, 208000 miles on it. Just bought it Saturday. When I was looking at it, and drove it... had a wierd idle.. not revving up or down wildy, but just up and down alittle. The cluster dosent work, and was told the headlight switch needed to be replaced. I bought it, trailered it home. Drove it off the trailer with no problems. Later that night, cranked it up, the idle was doing the same thing, but now has a popping sound under the intake. Pulled codes.. P1155, intermitent heater circuit bank 2, sensor 2. Started it up this mornning.. now have that code and the codes for all cylinders , misfire with fuel cut off... im lost, ANY help is appreciated.

I'd upload a short video of the popping sound, but dont know how..
    Last edited by CKluttz; 11-28-2022 at 12:21 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    The awd models are a pain to service. I'd start by inspecting all of the vacuum lines. There are several on the back of the intake manifold that become brittle with age and break.

This car can be miserable to work on if you aren't experienced with them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 325xi wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by XnWarden View Post
    The awd models are a pain to service. I'd start by inspecting all of the vacuum lines. There are several on the back of the intake manifold that become brittle with age and break.

This car can be miserable to work on if you aren't experienced with them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Great... reading that some have replaced the CCV and the "popping" sound stopped. Gonna pull the intake and replace CCV and any vacuum lines while I have it off... thats the plan

My Cars
    E30 E38 E46 E85 F150 GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by CKluttz View Post
    Great... reading that some have replaced the CCV and the "popping" sound stopped. Gonna pull the intake and replace CCV and any vacuum lines while I have it off... thats the plan
    If you are able to smoke test the intake I would start with that. The other possibility here is a bad MAF, but vacuum leaks and bad MAF can have similar symptoms (backfiring through intake, weird idle, will not rev). A smoke test of the intake can help determine and sort out vacuum leaks.

Try unplugging the MAF and start the car, see if it runs better.

For background I had similar issue with my Z4 and spent a lot of time screwing around with vacuum leaks, getting injectors cleaned, when in reality is was a bad MAF all along. I replaced the MAF with a used one and car runs great. Also has a host of new hoses and gaskets so all was not lost.
    2000 740i Sport | 2004 330xi | 1988 325i Vert | 2003 Z4 2.5 | 1995 Ford F150 | 2018 GTI

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The first step in diagnosing a problem is to scan the engine computer (DME) for codes. Search this forum for the latest posts about the OBDFusion app.

You do not need to remove the intake manifold to replace the CCV. The hard part of replacing the CCV is attaching the hose that runs from the intake manifold to the CCV body. Yeah, you have to remove some things but it’s a lot easier than removing/installing the intake manifold.

My Cars
    BMW E46 320d SE Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by CKluttz View Post
    it... had a weird idle.. not revving up or down wildy, but just up and down a little. The cluster doesn't work, and was told the headlight switch needed to be replaced. I bought it, Later that night, cranked it up, the idle was doing the same thing, but now has a popping sound under the intake. Pulled codes.. P1155, intermittent heater circuit bank 2, sensor 2. Started it up this morning.. now have that code and the codes for all cylinders , misfire with fuel cut off... im lost,
    I hope you managed to knock some money off the asking price.