Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Instant Low Oil Pressure... Oil Pump Nut?

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39

Instant Low Oil Pressure... Oil Pump Nut?

After 420,000 Km / 262,000 miles, the red oil light turned on while driving.
    I stopped the engine and restarted it, but it stayed on.

I drove it for 30 seconds at low RPM to get home.
    Oil level is good.

Based on the valvetrain noise (lifters bleed out), there is no oil pressure.

What are the odds that the oil pump sprocket nut came off?
    How difficult is it to remove the oil pan to inspect?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

2001 530, 5 Speed

My Cars
    z3
    Not a good thing if you drove it without oil pressure... removing the oil pan is a bit of a chore. First step for me would be to verify the condition of the engine as it is now, especially if it was driven with no oil pressure

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    It's not common to have the oil pump nut come off unless the car is being raced or frequently goes to red line. But it's possible.

You might be able to inspect it with a flashlight or borescope from the top when you take off the valve cover and vanos unit.

Taking the oil pan off is a bit of a pain as the engine has to be supported at the top and you have to drop the subframe.. But it probably needs a new oil pan gasket anyway.

your issue could be due to a clogged pick-up tube, or some other issue.

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Not a good thing if you drove it without oil pressure... removing the oil pan is a bit of a chore. First step for me would be to verify the condition of the engine as it is now, especially if it was driven with no oil pressure
    Understood, but I wasn't calling a tow truck for 5 blocks
    The last used oil analysis showed normal wear and the engine runs well and makes good power.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the boroscope suggestion, I have a few of them and will see if there is was way to view the front of the oil pump.

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVQ View Post
    Understood, but I wasn't calling a tow truck for 5 blocks
    The last used oil analysis showed normal wear and the engine runs well and makes good power.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the boroscope suggestion, I have a few of them and will see if there is was way to view the front of the oil pump.
    Have you tried plugging a gauge into the oil switch hole on the oil filter housing and measuring actual oil pressure? Given the situation, I'm not certain this is a good idea, but how else to determine?

Per the boroscope idea, would it be possible to remove the dipstick tube from the engine and peek in through there?

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    Have you tried plugging a gauge into the oil switch hole on the oil filter housing and measuring actual oil pressure? Given the situation, I'm not certain this is a good idea, but how else to determine?

Per the boroscope idea, would it be possible to remove the dipstick tube from the engine and peek in through there?
    Based on the new and much louder valvetrain noise, I know there is no oil pressure. BUT I will test the oil pressure switch.

As for the boroscope, I don't think it is possible to snake the camera around to the upper front of the oil pan.

- - - Updated - - -

All:
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Later in the week, I will check the oil pressure switch, and then most likey will drop the oil pan and have a look at the pump.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Sudden loss of oil pressure is not a common issue with inline sixes. With your high miles, either the oil pump nut or a fractured pickup tube. Either way, the pan has to come off to inspect properly.
    -Donny

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Based on the new and much louder valvetrain noise, I know there is no oil pressure. BUT I will test the oil pressure switch.

As for the boroscope, I don't think it is possible to snake the camera around to the upper front of the oil pan.

- - - Updated - - -

All:
    Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Later in the week, I will check the oil pressure switch, and then most likey will drop the oil pan and have a look at the pump.
    Don't bother. You already know the answer.
    Earlier M60 engines were know for the oil pump retaining bolts falling out leaving only the chain to support the pump which if it didn't result in instant oil pressure loss would stress the pump shaft for the sprocket to the point of failure.
    Not sure if this was passed down to the later engines.
    Driving it until the lifters were noisy wasn't a good idea.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Driving it until the lifters were noisy wasn't a good idea.
    Ideally, you are right.... but I wasn't going to pay for a tow truck to move me about 15 blocks.
    Plus 30 seconds without oil pressure at low RPM/low engine load won't hurt/wear anything any more than 262,000 miles already has.

Once I get it running, I'll post a start up and drive video.

- - - Updated - - -

It may not be common, but it is well known:
    https://bmwtuning.co/m54-common-engine-problems/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    For some reason I was thinking that you had a V-8

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    z3
    Plus 30 seconds without oil pressure at low RPM/low engine load won't hurt/wear anything any more than 262,000 miles already has.
    That's a very interesting theory

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    For some reason I was thinking that you had a V-8
    Nope... just a sweet six

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    yup, nut is one of the most common failures on the M54. On my list of things to work on when the pan gets dropped next time. Subframe has to be dropped to do this. Not too bad if you have access to a lift or you're in your 20s.
    Last edited by sleuth255; 11-29-2022 at 05:26 PM.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Ideally, you are right.... but I wasn't going to pay for a tow truck to move me about 15 blocks.
    It was 5 blocks in your earlier post..#4 above....was it 5 or 15 blocks?
    Last edited by effduration; 11-29-2022 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    02 525,01 X5,99 323IC
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    That's a very interesting theory
    Was thinking same thing.....tow truck=$100-new/used engine $1500.....

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Today I dropped the subframe and oil pan.
    The nut did fall off and was found in the oil pan!

With a new oil pan gasket and a little loctite red, it will be back on the road

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    It was 5 blocks in your earlier post..#4 above....was it 5 or 15 blocks?
    Oh my god.... so sorry for the typo... I just measured it an it was 5.1234568 blocks. I hope we are OK now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by capebmw View Post
    Was thinking same thing.....tow truck=$100-new/used engine $1500.....
    You forgot the third option... everything is OK.

Engines at low load and RPM can easily run for 1-2 minutes without any damage. Watch a few YouTube videos to learn more.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Well, good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor! Seriously though, the M54 is a good motor and I have no personal XP driving it without oil pressure. I hope everything works out!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Oh my god.... so sorry for the typo... I just measured it an it was 5.1234568 blocks. I hope we are OK now.

- - - Updated - - -

You forgot the third option... everything is OK.

Engines at low load and RPM can easily run for 1-2 minutes without any damage. Watch a few YouTube videos to learn more.
    The difference between everything is okay and a spun bearing is a nanosecond. Predicting that moment is the tough part. Piling this abuse onto a high mile motor rather lessens one's odds. I don't think all the hand wringing is necessary though.

For sure at low load and low rpm an engine can survive oil starvation pretty well. Snake oil additive salesman are famous for running an engine without oil as a demonstration of their product's effectiveness. Every one of them I've encountered doing so has declined to allow me to operate the throttle

If it didn't start knocking on the short trip home its probably fine.
    Personally, I'd have shut it off the minute the lifters started making noise as I've seen this gamble go south for others.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    That nut coming loose/off usually happens on engines that have been run at high rpm, like track days. Its pretty rare to have one come loose on a daily driver unless your wringing it out. Maybe you should go out and buy a lottery ticket!
    -Donny

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    I had a catastrophic low oil pressure incident one time. Basically I was in the middle of a valve cover job and my father was unaware and asked me to take the car out because he was going to put some gas in it. I totally forgot that I haven't tightened the valve covers down and about 2 miles down the road in a cloud of smoke he immediately shut it off maybe 10 seconds after he saw the message. That was 20k and it's find now.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    The difference between everything is okay and a spun bearing is a nanosecond. Predicting that moment is the tough part. Piling this abuse onto a high mile motor rather lessens one's odds. I don't think all the hand wringing is necessary though.

For sure at low load and low rpm an engine can survive oil starvation pretty well. Snake oil additive salesman are famous for running an engine without oil as a demonstration of their product's effectiveness. Every one of them I've encountered doing so has declined to allow me to operate the throttle

If it didn't start knocking on the short trip home its probably fine.
    Personally, I'd have shut it off the minute the lifters started making noise as I've seen this gamble go south for others.
    Agreed and understood.
    There was no knocking and I will do a quick inspection of the connecting rod play.
    Parts are ordered (oil pan gasket and power steering pulley) and should be here in a few days, then assembly starts

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    That nut coming loose/off usually happens on engines that have been run at high rpm, like track days. Its pretty rare to have one come loose on a daily driver unless your wringing it out. Maybe you should go out and buy a lottery ticket!
    -Donny
    I've owed the car for 15 years and almost every time I drive it, I have a little fun and shift at 6,000+ RPM... and it still took 421,000 KM / 260,000 miles for the nut to fall off.
    I'm going to use loctite red and safety wire to hold it on, so the issue should be fixed for the next 15 years.

Parts are ordered (oil pan gasket and power steering pulley) and should be here in a few days, then assembly starts

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    I had a catastrophic low oil pressure incident one time. Basically I was in the middle of a valve cover job and my father was unaware and asked me to take the car out because he was going to put some gas in it. I totally forgot that I haven't tightened the valve covers down and about 2 miles down the road in a cloud of smoke he immediately shut it off maybe 10 seconds after he saw the message. That was 20k and it's find now.

I suspect the smoke was oil dripping from the unbolted vale cover, onto the exhaust manifold.
    The valve cover has nothing to do with oil pressure... it is just an "umbrella" to collect the oil spray.

Anyways, glad it wasn't a big problem for you!

My Cars
    1999 323i/5 2002 540i/6
    I've owed the car for 15 years and almost every time I drive it, I have a little fun and shift at 6,000+ RPM... and it still took 421,000 KM / 260,000 miles for the nut to fall off.
    I'm going to use loctite red and safety wire to hold it on, so the issue should be fixed for the next 15 years.

- - - Updated - - -

I suspect the smoke was oil dripping from the unbolted vale cover, onto the exhaust manifold.
    The valve cover has nothing to do with oil pressure... it is just an "umbrella" to collect the oil spray.

Anyways, glad it wasn't a big problem for you!
    I am aware of that, but when all of the oil in the engine exits the engine there is no oil to make pressure. Therefor no oil pressure.
    Just saying the chances of it being fine are decent.

My Cars
    Sweet Six E39
    Quote Originally Posted by seagreen323i View Post
    I am aware of that, but when all of the oil in the engine exits the engine there is no oil to make pressure. Therefor no oil pressure.
    Just saying the chances of it being fine are decent.
    That must of been a LOT of smoke!!!

Anyways, I agree with you and think all will be ok. I should have it back together this week and will find out

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast