RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Instrument Cluster issues

My Cars
    1984 BMW 633CSI

Instrument Cluster issues

I have been having cluster issues when i bought the car and recently have bought a new one. The last cluster had nothing working only the lights. The speedo/rpm gauge As well as the temp and gas/gauge did not work however the main headlight switch did. I bought a new cluster that was one year older. This cluster had a high beam switch which mine did not have As well as a board on the lower portion which mine did not have. However when installing the speedo/rpm and temp gauge did not work. Funnily enough the gas gauge worked and the headlight switch did not work. I'm kind of stumped I know the cluster is one year older, I sure its a wiring issue. Buts still weird that the headlights now refuse to work and the only thing that works is the gas gauges. Any input is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is confusing please ask question if you need more clarification. Thanks. Also the old cluster had a completely destroyed SI Board(Acid) which was the reason for the replacement.

Old Cluster Parts Number1373093.9)
    New Cluster Parts#(1371665.9)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Welcome to the forum.

I pulled up cluster wiring diagrams for both a 1983 and 1984 633i, and I find no differences between them.

http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

I was confused by your reference to the headlight switch. I have never seen a BMW with a headlight switch as part of the cluster, and looking at the diagrams, I still don't see this.

I'd tend to think that you have a bad plug into the cluster, or two bad clusters; these old clusters are known for having many issues, at 40 years old.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1984 BMW 633CSI
    Sorry yes I see the confusion with the headlight switch. I'm talking about the lamp switch built into the cluster plastic under the cluster not directly on the cluster itself. in basic terms the thing you pull in order to turn on the headlights.