Thread: Brake lights not functioning

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00

Brake lights not functioning

The brake lights on my 530d (manual) '00 stopped working.
    After the car died a few days back (fuel pump and after that the starter, replaced those and the BMW works again), the brake lights have suddenly stopped working. None of the 3 brake lights work.
    I have checked the bulbs, replaced the brake light switch (already replaced it a couple months ago to try and fix the cruise control unsuccessfully) for a known good one and replaced the LCM. Fuses in the glove box are all okay.

Anyone happen to know what to check before I start pulling everything apart to run back the wires?

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    You might try file/ steel brush on connections and some di-electric grease. Probably not the solution, but worth a shot. When I have trouble with mine, its always the contacts.

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00
    Which contacts? Because the center brake light doesn't work either.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Ok, so assuming the car is not detecting burnt out bulbs in the brake lights, the problem has to be in the brake switch circuit. Interesting that you have been in there already.

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00
    Checked fault codes and got no faults in lights.
    And pressing the brake, INPA showed that the brake switch worked.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    So, you were having cruise control troubles related to this switch?
    Have a look at the wiring diagrams and determine a commonality.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    So, you were having cruise control troubles related to this switch?
    Have a look at the wiring diagrams and determine a commonality.
    No, not really, I was trying simple things that came to mind trying to fix the cruise control, because it doesn't engage with no related errors in any of the modules.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Well, on the E39, the brake light switch does engage with a few modules -engine, transmission, ABS and LCM among others-. It actually does a lot more than turning on and off the brake lights. (See: https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...r-abs.1355237/)

So , I'd check the switch and make sure it is the right one.
    Note that it is very similar - but different in orientation, so not interchangeable- with the cruise-control switch that disables cruise when you tap on the brakes.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Chedley, post #5.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by fantajuice View Post
    Well, you stumped this chump. Interested to learn what you eventually find out.

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Do you mean no "brake switch" error code (code 105 or 116) ? How does INPA shows you that the brake switch worked -- Educate us on this.

The brake lights on my 530d (manual) '00 stopped working.
    I have checked the bulbs, replaced the brake light switch (already replaced it a couple months ago to try and fix the cruise control unsuccessfully) ....
    Did the problem start after you replaced the switch to fix the cruise control -- but that did not fix it- ??
    Last edited by Chedley; 12-04-2022 at 06:02 PM.

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00
    There are no brake light errors in the LCM besides automatic front light height adjustment (car originally came with xenons, no longer has xenons). INPA shows me the brake light switch working, as in when I open up the module and check live data, under digital values it shows the brake light switch on and off, depending on the brake pedal position.

I first noticed the problem after we had replaced the starter and the fuel pump in the fuel tank. Probably unrelated.

I know the brake lights are getting power, because in the LCM the option is toggled on for brake lights to work as normal tail lights, when both of the bulbs are seen as non-functional. And when I removed both of the bulbs - brake light lit up.
    AND after I noticed that that works, we took out the brake light switch, crossed the wires for the brake lights and the brake lights lit up.
    So I'm now convinced that I have to get an old mechanical brake light switch, because the more "modern" magnetic one doesn't work with my car anymore. Is that really my only option?

My Cars
    E39 530d manual '00
    Found the issue. Under the driver's seat (LHD car) there's a bundle of wires, blue with a red stripe. The junction was completely corroded. I stripped the ends, twisted them all together and voilą - brake lights.
    Last edited by fantajuice; 12-27-2022 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Have been working for 2 days straight, no need for (I think)