Thread: 95' 530i sedan to M62B44TU

My Cars
    95' 530i Calypso Sedan

Post 95' 530i sedan to M62B44TU

Hello,

I am engine swapping a M62B44TU into my 1995 E34 530i 5 Speed (M60B30) Calypso Sedan

Some backstory; Picked this engine up as a deal along with some M5 sport seats, the VANOS is rebuilt, came from a 2003 M-Sport 540i wagon. I am working with what I got, this option was convenient for me as there is little to no aftermarket parts in Buffalo, for cheap. (Hoarders)

My my current setup inside the chassis is an M60B30 and a 5-Speed ZF transmission, with a stock differential, presumed to be open an differential.

Main plan is to purchase a wiring harness adapter from Condor Speed Shop, some pink M60 VIP engine and transmission mounts also from Condor, and swap over the M60B30 timing chain covers to mount the crank position sensor and keep my 5 speed ZF transmission. I have done some reading and I skimmed over a few posts claiming the M60B30 timing chain covers will not fit a M62B44TU. If this is the case, I may either fabricate a mount or I will ditch the 5-Speed ZF and get a Getrag 420g 6-Speed.

As for my differential, I have a 3.15 E32 750il Limited Slip Differential, with a small piece of the drive shaft attached, along with 540i axles and brake calipers to fit the LSD. (I think the 315 is a large case) I am simply going to make a frankenshaft.

Now for the areas I need guidance in:

What should I do regarding my ECU/DEM and wiring? Does anyone recommend a standalone ECU instead? Do I need to upgrade my fuel pump or any fuel related systems? How is this engine going to work out with a 5 speed (or possibly 6 speed) and a 3.15 LSD for casual pulls and cruising?

Big thanks, I will post more photos soon and I will continue posting about this build as I continue.

My Cars
    1998 e36
    M62B44TU is not what you want. It is not worth doing the swap, the power difference is small. It is a heavy car.

My Cars
    95' 530i Calypso Sedan
    Not really what the thread was about, There is a decent power difference because the engine has ~70 more horsepower than my M60B30, has way more torque, Anything is better than a baby 3.0l v8. Ill probably end up supercharging it too, might even swap over some non vanos heads. I am just looking for info about the electronics and computer segment of the swap.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A 4.0 M60 swap is a no brainer. M62 is a troublesome swap for little reward over the non VANOS M60b40. A lower numerical final drive like the 3.15 will help wake it up too.
    A good friend ran the combination I describe for many years. It was worlds better than the 3.0 and the five speed was happy.
    NO need for the large case diff unless you intend to flog the crap out of it. Some E34 535s had 3.46(3.64?) gears and wont require driveshaft shenanigans.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    95' 530i Calypso Sedan
    I already have the engine, I got it for cheap, there aren't any M60B40s local to Buffalo that aren't being price gouged. Buffalo does not have a big parts market for e34s. I am just asking for how to do the wiring. I know its not worth it but I am working with what i have.

My Cars
    z3
    There is no point using a swap harness adapter if going standalone. Either use the swap harness to run the stock DME or run standalone without a harness adapter.

I'm not super well versed on that engine, but I would also look into seeing if you can just drape the 3.0's engine harness over the 4.4 engine and chip your current DME for the increased displacement, you may lose some features, may require VANOS delete for example, but then you won't need any sort of harness adapter and you could keep the current 5 speed. Otherwise, if you need to run the 4.4 engine harness, I'd run the 420G

You talk about swapping heads at one point too so if you have that technical ability, you should just look into building a hybrid engine using M60 and M62 4.4 parts... people make pretty decent power with those builds, and you can mix and match the best parts from the M60 and M62 to make a pretty reliable engine that, with a little bit of work, can make pretty respectable power figures. I even know a guy with an extensively modified ~4.9L M6x hybrid making a little more power than an S62. Building that sort of engine will also let you retain the original electronics and transmission, which greatly simplifies the overall swap. So money you would spend on adapter harnesses or 420G, could just be spent building a motor that is plug and play

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    95' 530i Calypso Sedan
    Thank you, this was the reply I was looking for. I Might just do what you were talking about, and weld the vanos/do a vanos delete and then use the 3.0 harness and get a new chip. if I ever am able to find a B40 engine I will end up doing the stroker build. I might end up buying the 6 speed transmission anyways because I want the extra gear. Also, would you recommend any radiators or cooling solutions? I saw a build that used an M62B44TU and an E38 radiator.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Some use the e39 M5 radiator, it has more cooling capacity than the e39 540 radiator.
    If you want a 6-speed you better start looking, others have said they are getting hard to find.

My Cars
    95' 530i Calypso Sedan
    nooooo don't say that. DONT. I'll find one from an e39 or something. Also what are the logistics of mounting the M5 radiator? Should I just get one from CSF?