Thread: M62 Crankshaft Wobble

My Cars
    2000 E39 540iT 6MT

Question M62 Crankshaft Wobble

So first forum post, here and I'm already off to a great start. Anyway, howdy. I've got a 2000 540i wagon with an M62 in it (no surprise), and I've got severe wobble on the crankshaft. I picked this thing up for very cheap, because it got parked from the harmonic balancer coming off the hub (two years ago), and flying around in there breaking and damaging a bunch of stuff. I got it with a replacement (used) hub and harmonic balancer.

I have been slowly fixing things on it and got to changing the hub a few days ago. With everything swapped out I was still getting some vibration so I checked it out and saw the harmonic balancer had some wobble, so I removed it and watched the crankshaft and noticed a lot of wobble in it. I would say maybe 1mm. I can't grab and physically wiggle the crank, so I don't know if I want to say I have a main bearing failure (or it got bent somehow, that seems unrealistic), but I'm not really sure. A pretty knowledgeable (on E39s and the M62/S62) said to me I need to replace the crank/motor, but I'm hoping there's other ideas on what this might be. There was no resistance when I pulled the old hub off and put the replacement one on, it was like butter. The seal on the timing cover also seems to be perfectly in tact.

I did not see any metal in the oil when I changed it (ironically, right before I noticed all this stuff). I did find some tiny glitter in the oil filter on the cap but I don't want to say for sure it's making metal. Concerned it's a tell tell sign, although I have no knocking noise aside from the timing chain clatter (a sign they need replacement, which is another mess).

I paid $600 for this thing, and have less than $1,500 in it in total. If I have to pull off what parts I've changed, and sell this thing off I can afford to. I would just hate to let it get parted since it's still a good car. I was beyond impressed seeing this thing come back to life after sitting for over a year.

Sidenote: I am long term looking for an alpine white over black E39 wagon, preferably a 540i, to match my #1 car (an alpine white 944). So if anyone knows of any for sale in the states... I am indeed nominally a Porsche guy.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully this isn't the end of the world for this thing.

---EDIT---

Some video clips of it I uploaded to Streamable

1: https://streamable.com/az0fv3
    2: https://streamable.com/jgpc6q
    3: https://streamable.com/6f9uoe

---EDIT 2---

Went out to look at it while on the phone with somebody, and it occurred to me that while I drove it (about 5 miles so far) around my neighborhood I never had any issues with it. Never felt like the motor was gonna rip itself apart. It also occurred to me that if there was a massive issue it would've destroyed the oil seal on the timing cover, and it'd be spewing out oil which it isn't. (Yes, it is covered in a lot of grime, but that is all old not new)
    Last edited by stitch2k1; 11-26-2022 at 11:40 PM.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Looks like the nose of the crankshaft got bent somehow. That's a pretty crazy failure I'm surprised it doesn't sound way worse than it does. I'd take the hub off just to be sure but it looks like the bolt in the middle is moving all over too.

But yeah, that motor is probably not worth repairing. You'll likely spend more than you've got into the car just on gaskets and timing components, not counting a crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings, and rod bolts. I've got a good M62 crankshaft sitting in my garage you can have if you feel like attempting open heart surgery on it though.

You could also try to source a used M62, those are generally under $1000.
    Last edited by MotorMouth93; 11-26-2022 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39 540iT 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorMouth93 View Post
    Looks like the nose of the crankshaft got bent somehow. That's a pretty crazy failure I'm surprised it doesn't sound way worse than it does. I'd take the hub off just to be sure but it looks like the bolt in the middle is moving all over too.
    I'm not entirely convinced it's possible to bend it. I would think the force necessary would just break it out right. Plus I've seen multiple threads of people having these hubs break or dampers come free, and they seem to be fine? Edit: Also as above in the first post I already changed the hub. No issues there, it's keyed right. I used a torque multiplier and a crankshaft counter-hold tool from Baum. It was torqued 100nm +60*+60*+30* per the book.

But yeah, that motor is probably not worth repairing. You'll likely spend more than you've got into the car just on gaskets and timing components, not counting a crankshaft, main bearings, rod bearings, and rod bolts.
    That's more accurately how this entire car is tragically. The interior is rough but tolerable for me, since it's a utility car. Paint is shiny but has horizontal crazing through it in the paint (clearcoat is fine).

I've got a good M62 crankshaft sitting in my garage you can have if you feel like attempting open heart surgery on it though.
    Thanks, I've got a buddy locally who I can probably grab a crankshaft from.

You could also try to source a used M62, those are generally under $1000.
    I am worried that's equally a can of worms, because of the "While you're in there" mentality. And then add finding one with similar or less miles, and good history. Then slap on the cost of timing chain guides, and I become very concerned very quickly that because of the rest of this car's condition it becomes a net loss.
    Last edited by stitch2k1; 11-26-2022 at 10:44 PM.
    Instagram: @stitch2k1
    2000 540iT 6MT
    2001 525iT 5MT

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    Sounds like you have the situation pretty well covered. Crank snouts bent. I got free cranks, they have free cranks, everyone has free cranks.
    The only question is, does the wagon have you impressed enough to do the crank swap (engine swap) to make a reliable parts hauler out of it?
    For the dedicated wagonista, it would be a yes.
    If you start applying financial logic to the equation, better get a Toyota to go with your Porsche.
    It's not a net loss if you are driving it.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Are you sure the hub and balancer are correctly attached?? I have a hard time thinking of a scenario that would bend the crank snout that wouldn't also destroy the front end of the car. I'm sure stranger things have happened though.
    A thought based on my anecdotal experience.
    You mention a "timing chain noise". Are certain it is T-chain?
    I once had a crankshaft break clean in two at the #1 and 2 rod journal. The only thing holding it together was the connecting rods. It ran just fine but did make an odd noise, not what one would recognize as a knock but there was a not so subtle rattle going on. The crank snout had a wobble about like yours and also some fore/aft movement which was the tell.

If the crank is in one piece I would expect it to eventually shake another balancer to death if you run it and you can forget about the front seal ever being effective.
    Net effect is to repair it will be engine out so maybe run it until it fails.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-27-2022 at 07:00 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Hard to imagine that just the snout would be bent but from your video it doesn’t look good.
    Have you pulled off the crank flange yet to look at the snout at the oil seal while running?
    If the car was a manual and someone sidestepped the clutch at 6K RPM I could see the possibility of some crank damage.
    Last edited by JimLev; 11-27-2022 at 09:07 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "If the car was a manual and someone sidestepped the clutch at 6K RPM I could see the possibility of some crank damage."
    Take it from somebody who has done just that countless times. It will damage plenty of other things but I never hurt a crank doing it.
    The snout on those cranks is about a mile long so I could imagine an impact doing this but it would have to be a very hard one indeed.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2000 E39 540iT 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by wagons ho View Post
    Sounds like you have the situation pretty well covered. Crank snouts bent. I got free cranks, they have free cranks, everyone has free cranks.
    The only question is, does the wagon have you impressed enough to do the crank swap (engine swap) to make a reliable parts hauler out of it?For the dedicated wagonista, it would be a yes.
    I have an E91 (328xi) thatÂ’s been a good parts hauler and an engine hauler, picked up a 944 motor and a old air cooled 911 motor with it actually. I went to the E39 because itÂ’d be a much better parts hauler, and I can use it to tow things.

If you start applying financial logic to the equation, better get a Toyota to go with your Porsche.
    Believe it or not, my 944S2 has been my cheapest car to own by a large margin.

It's not a net loss if you are driving it.
    That is true. I had just hoped this project would benefit me in experience and some profit to go towards a ‘Keeper’ wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Are you sure the hub and balancer are correctly attached?? I have a hard time thinking of a scenario that would bend the crank snout that wouldn't also destroy the front end of the car. I'm sure stranger things have happened though.
    Yes, itÂ’s keyed on the pin hole, and the hub is on the crankshaft woodruff key. I agree that it being bent is very unlikely, IÂ’m thinking more likely the main bearings got damaged but arenÂ’t spun.

A thought based on my anecdotal experience.
    You mention a "timing chain noise". Are certain it is T-chain?
    Well the car needs chains and before this I was pretty much 100% certain thatÂ’s what I heard. At this point I have no idea for sure. Needs to be investigated further.

I once had a crankshaft break clean in two at the #1 and 2 rod journal. The only thing holding it together was the connecting rods. It ran just fine but did make an odd noise, not what one would recognize as a knock but there was a not so subtle rattle going on. The crank snout had a wobble about like yours and also some fore/aft movement which was the tell.
    ThereÂ’s no thrust bearing wear here, I canÂ’t grab it and wiggle it at all (in or out, side to side, up or down).

If the crank is in one piece I would expect it to eventually shake another balancer to death if you run it and you can forget about the front seal ever being effective.
    I mean there isnÂ’t a waterfall of oil out the front? IÂ’m gonna inspect it further in a few days when I get a chance to. It probably will shred the balance but weÂ’ll see. It canÂ’t get any worse.

Net effect is to repair it will be engine out so maybe run it until it fails.
    IÂ’m leaning towards this, put it together and drive it until it gives out. See if a Uhaul rental or AAA is cheaper to get. Just means I canÂ’t take it on a road trip which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Hard to imagine that just the snout would be bent but from your video it doesnÂ’t look good.
    Have you pulled off the crank flange yet to look at the snout at the oil seal while running?
    I plan to take the crankshaft bolt off again and do just that. Also clean the surrounding area.

If the car was a manual and someone sidestepped the clutch at 6K RPM I could see the possibility of some crank damage.
    Not a manual, I wish. Never got manual 540i wagons in the states from my understanding. I think some six cyl E39 wagons rarely came as 5MTs?
    2000 540iT 6MT
    2001 525iT 5MT

My Cars
    540it, 540sedan, 540-6 s
    If the keyway stripped, or hub was installed with no woodruff key, and the hub spun on the crank, it could build enough heat to warp the snout.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Well nothing much new to add here but looking at the last video the crank is positively bent or broken. When the original harmonic balancer broke and created mayhem in there, maybe something jammed up and created a large enough sideways force to f up the crank. In any event the crank is toast and cheapest route is likely sourcing another engine. Or just drive it as is and it might continue on for a while. Replacing crank is another option as it looks like some guys here have a good crank to give you. This forum never disappoints! A used engine has its risks and likely needs T chain stuff, so taking the bottom end apart on your engine has some advantages. Do a compression test on it first to assess condition of bores, rings, etc. Some get away with re-using rod bolts but they are tty and TIS says to replace. If bearings are still good and replacement crank journal size matches they can be re-used, but again best to replace. It’s only money.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    2000 E39 540iT 6MT
    I removed the crankshaft bolt tonight, and took the hub off and found this (see video below). This crankshaft is definitely bent. There's no knock, I can't wiggle the end of it, and the fact it still runs (and drives, and pulls to redline) it's definitely otherwise fine. I think it's the end of the line for this thing, I'm going to chat with a couple E39 wagon guys local to me, and see if they want to buy it on the cheap (and I keep what I put into it, since I still want an E39 wagon). If they pass, I'm gonna press on trying to hammer it straight enough that it can drive okay, and list it for sale on the cheap.

4: https://streamable.com/0thch0
    2000 540iT 6MT
    2001 525iT 5MT

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    When it does get pulled apart by whomever, it would be interesting to see a pic of the crank.
    Do you know if anyone before you had worked on the lower end? Thinking outside the box, maybe a few loose main bearing caps?

Your right, all V8 iT’s were autos. Some forum guys have done a 6 speed swap.

My Cars
    2000 E39 540iT 6MT
    When it does get pulled apart by whomever, it would be interesting to see a pic of the crank.
    Do you know if anyone before you had worked on the lower end? Thinking outside the box, maybe a few loose main bearing caps?

Your right, all V8 iT’s were autos. Some forum guys have done a 6 speed swap.
    If I keep it around I'll definitely crack this kinder egg open and take a look. I don't think the bottom end has ever been apart on this car, the limited records don't point to it. My local buddies have both passed on it, so for now I'm going to put it back together I think and park it until I can pay more attention to it. I'm chatting with a guy (who might even be active here?) about a wagon similar to mine with a 6 speed swap, and there's some stuff of mine I'll want for that car, so I'm not gonna ditch it yet. I am gonna clean it up enough to list it on marketplace with a disclaimer about it needing an engine.

Overall though, I think it's back to the hunt for an alpine white wagon. If I mess with it further and find anything I'll come back to report about it.

If the keyway stripped, or hub was installed with no woodruff key, and the hub spun on the crank, it could build enough heat to warp the snout.
    Not stripped by the way. Woodruff key is perfectly fine.
    Last edited by stitch2k1; 11-27-2022 at 10:35 PM.
    2000 540iT 6MT
    2001 525iT 5MT

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Its bent alright. I'd wager that is was smacked hard at some time, perhaps long ago, in this car or another. Repairs made and crank overlooked/ignored/passed off.

This would explain that awful mess on the timing cover and the exploding balancer.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps, if the crank hub were held stationary while the engine was running. I'm sure weirder things have happened.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-28-2022 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5sp Sport
    Gotta say that I've never seen anything going on with the front of a motor that looks like those video clips before! I wouldn't be driving this car myself with that going on...