Thread: new project dilema F82 vs G82

My Cars
    e36 M3 Turbo

new project dilema F82 vs G82

I had my E46 M3 stage 3 totaled. the car was a beast. I'm debating which platform to use for the rebirth of my Turbo M4. Money is not an issue, Im leaning towards the F82 since G82 front grill is just hideous, and no mater how big is the heart of a lady you always choose the one with better looks.
    that being said, im not sure if go manual or take advantage of the DCT on the F82.
    Just want to hear your thoughts and preferences, is going to be a daily driver car upwards of 900whp, manly ro highway exotic car serial killer.
    Single turbo, flex fuel ECU, fullybuilt engine, you name it.
    will appreciate your input.
    I even consider the option of a F82 AWD project, as I said ill consider every single option.
    Its been quite some time since I last posted Black Mamba, cant remember my password and no longer use that email so I don't see if i could recover my original user name.
    thanks in advance

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I really like AWD for putting big power down. The new autos, properly controlled, shift really fast — I have an Xhp tune in the trans ECU on my F90 M5. DCT is lighter than a torque converter auto but it takes a lot of money to make it handle big torque.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I really like AWD for putting big power down. The new autos, properly controlled, shift really fast — I have an Xhp tune in the trans ECU on my F90 M5. DCT is lighter than a torque converter auto but it takes a lot of money to make it handle big torque.
    I don't want to sound arrogant or anything similar but ss I said, money is out of the equation. Already dropped +80K on my previous E46 M3 + the cost of the car.
    I know im getting into 120K territory, so lets asume unlimited funds. even if its total budget is +150K
    I'm even thinking on buying a new G82 get rid of the ugly chassis and swap it into an F82, or even a e46 but im digging into the F82 lines even though I loved my E46.
    Im a true M3 lover...call me a Purist...relabelimg the coupe M4 is mistake #1.
    I don't know who designed the horrible looks of the front of the G82 that is mistake #2.
    More than a M4 is almost as big as an M5.

Having said that, Im not yet into the non manual cars...drove a stick since i was 12 before getting my license 6 years later.
    Im really in a cross road, I know the G82 will require less money take it to higher HP and will be faster from a red light, but im not looking into a drag care, I like to control the car at corners not a computer assisting my steering.

I still have...should say had, my 800hp e36, I was "kindly" asked by my 17 year old soon to have it as his 18th birthday present...i parted the engine when oil pump chain broke and scorched badly exhaust turbo cam. Car will be shipped to NJ and I will have it built with again then ship it back in a container to Uruguay-South America, so my son could inherit the Blackmamba....Blackmamba2 was totaled a month ago and couldn't get it down south....so Blackmamba 3 is the new project...but Im still undecided in so many things. one thing is sure I hate the G82 looks, weights 2 tons and is no longer what a previous M3 lover and owner feels loyal having.
    Last edited by Black Mamba 3; 11-26-2022 at 12:40 PM.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Evolution is a thing - The G series is better in every way (except for all out racing where the extra 200ish lb's will really hurt you), and is faster out of the box (9's with just a tune and E30), not to mention you can spec an AWD option which is worth gold on the street.

If the looks bother you that much (I get it but dark color G8x can look really damn mean with the right mods) then you already have your answer and shouldn't need anyone to convince you since money isn't an issue but yet still seem to need to seek approval from the internet for something you want to buy.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Evolution is a thing - The G series is better in every way (except for all out racing where the extra 200ish lb's will really hurt you), and is faster out of the box (9's with just a tune and E30), not to mention you can spec an AWD option which is worth gold on the street.

If the looks bother you that much (I get it but dark color G8x can look really damn mean with the right mods) then you already have your answer and shouldn't need anyone to convince you since money isn't an issue but yet still seem to need to seek approval from the internet for something you want to buy.
    Is not approval, chances I go G82 are 10% vs 90% any other option.
    Car will be Black for sure, thats out of the question. I know there are companies offering reto styling front bumpers with the proper sized kidney grills.

If the G82 is that much of a better option, and a chassis swap is not impossible...i might even consider buying a G82 get rid of the chassis and use a donor E46 or F82.

My Cars
    e36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post

Im looking for ideas and hints, it will take time to build the project i don't want to find myself with the dilema of having to think into switching horses in the middle of the river

My Cars
    e36 M3 Turbo
    why couldnt BMW engineers design the G82 grilles like the new 3.0 CSL 50 anniversary edition??? I guess they learned from their mistake. After watching the 3.0 CSL 50 anniversary edition...im leaning even more towards F82 manual built transmission, single turbo +900hp 18" rims and drag radials. its going to be a DD car.
    Last edited by Black Mamba 3; 11-26-2022 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    |99 Turbo M3 | 2K7 335|
    I am strugling between F80/G80, I prefer the F80 look too, but I know the G80 is a totally different beast (I hate the front grill)..
    as mine would be a daily driver, I would like a G80, but Xdrive/manual, which is not an option.. so I need to decide between G80 RWD/manual or G80 Xdrive/auto, black to hide the front grill.

the reason I probably won't go for F80, asking prices are ridiculous.. those are 5-6 years old car and vendors are asking way too much.. if they were cheaper, I would go with an individual color manual 6 speed F80..

Edit, if it's a weekend warrior, have you thought about F87 M2 Comp or CS ? it would be my choice #1 if it's only a toy !
    Last edited by gnarfy; 11-29-2022 at 04:48 PM.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    If money isn't an issue, Brixtonforged makes a bodykit for the G82 that makes the front look a lot better in my opinion.
    I also think the G82 M4 just needs some getting used to but I like the G80 M3 better.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I like the idea of a body kit or grafting the older front end onto the G80 chassis. AWD lets you hook up big power under so many more conditions. And modern traction control is really good, has an MDM setting for some slip, and can be turned off. And the auto trans can be tuned via Xhp to shift pretty quick. The paddles and manual mode let you shift manually if that is your thing.