Thread: 2019 530e won't charge on house (120V) current

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46

2019 530e won't charge on house (120V) current

We got a CPO 2019 530e and all was well for a week and a half. Recharged the car to full capacity over 4-6 hours every night (we don't go out much). We went on a 2-week vacay and when we came back the car refuses to charge on the only receptacle (120V 15A breaker) in our enclosed garage, though it had not shown any problems previously. The charge cable will show blue when plugged in, but when the car is connected it clicks several times and the indicator light shows both blue and red. There's a problem and it's not charging.

Last night we connected to a Level 2 station for 1/2 hour and all went well. Came home and our garage plug still won't charge, same clicks and blue/red indicator lights. Thinking it might just be our house circuitry and maybe our solar PV was muddying the (electrical) waters, we connected at a friend's 120V circuit two blocks away. No joy.

The dealer salesman says something to the effect that "some customers have been having trouble with 120V connections" (no shit!?) and we have a service appointment next week which I'm hoping results in a new charging cable FO' FREE, NOT $450 since the car is CPO and still under original BMW warranty.

At sale, the dealer salesperson told us the car's 12V battery had just been replaced. I haven't taken a look at it to see if there's a date stamp on it, but maybe possibly this is a problem (and they either lied or installed a defective battery).

Question is: has anyone else had similar difficulty with 120V recharging? I have a Fluke DVOM but I don't think it has the sensitivity needed to finely assess our current delivery; voltage checks out at 118V but again I don't know if it fluctuates.

TIA from sunny breezy Hawaii. Big surf due on the North Shore, stay off wet shorelines. Good thing I work at home and we still have the "beater" '98 C280 and my m/c.

Charlie
    Last edited by Honolulu; 11-25-2022 at 06:38 PM.
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.

My Cars
    '73 E9, '94 E34, '02 E46
    Dealer replaced the charging cable, works now.

Next is to install a 220V outlet in the garage and cut the recharge time. Tempted to do the work myself ZZZZZAP! (burns a bit).
    Charlie

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to add value to these threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same or similar problem stands on your shoulders.