Thread: Sunroof drain hole issues

My Cars
    '03 525iAT

Sunroof drain hole issues

I've had it up to here with trying to resolve the issue of a leaky sunroof on my wagon. I've had the A -pillar apart, used weed whacker line, judiciously used compressed air; and I still have a leak at the front passenger side corner, which means wet carpet down there.
    Has anyone gone the route of using a clear paint protective film from the top edge of the windshield to about an inch or so past the back edge of the sunroof ? I've seen this done on a VW Golf wagon, and it looks okay.
    Shop tells me that they're concerned about proper adhesion of the film along the edges of the sunroof. I think if the film adheres to the roof and the glass, all should be okay. And it should withstand an automatic car wash.
    I never use the sunroof. I'd pull the fuse in case I inadvertently hit the button, or happened to roll the windows down (also opens sunroof) while holding the button on the key fob.
    Any thoughts on this ?

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    I've had it up to here with trying to resolve the issue of a leaky sunroof on my wagon. I've had the A -pillar apart, used weed whacker line, judiciously used compressed air; and I still have a leak at the front passenger side corner, which means wet carpet down there.
    Has anyone gone the route of using a clear paint protective film from the top edge of the windshield to about an inch or so past the back edge of the sunroof ? I've seen this done on a VW Golf wagon, and it looks okay.
    Shop tells me that they're concerned about proper adhesion of the film along the edges of the sunroof. I think if the film adheres to the roof and the glass, all should be okay. And it should withstand an automatic car wash.
    I never use the sunroof. I'd pull the fuse in case I inadvertently hit the button, or happened to roll the windows down (also opens sunroof) while holding the button on the key fob.
    Any thoughts on this ?
    Not me, but I have another thought (if you have any patience left to consider it).

Check to see if the sunroof drainhose on the leaky corner hasn't loosened/detached from its connector nipple on the sunroof body.

Both my front corners leaked 12 years ago, and loose -not clogged- drainhoses were the cause, as I found after trying air/stiff line, etc., to no avail. One sign was that some of the water I used to test after "cleaning" the drain lines was making its way out the drain exits behind the front wheelwells (while the rest leaked through the ceiling).

You would have to drop the headliner at the leaky corner to check. Some hardware removal required .... A pillar cover, sunvisor, grab handle, maybe loosen something at the overhead console (fuzzy memory here). It's not necessary to lower the headliner corner very far .... just enough to be able to peek in and get your hands up on the hose connections.

The drainhose rubber tips have a couple of grip pieces on either side to help pull/slide them onto the nipple. I used light coatings of high-temp ultra-black sealant on the nipple sides to ensure those hoses don't come off again. Others have used zipties.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I had a similar leak on my Mini Cooper sunroof and found one of the corrugated rubber connectors from the gutter surround to the tube down the pillar had separated. This was possibly cause from me using a blow gun (compressed air) popping it off when clearing crud from the drain. I got it pulled back on and used a tiny zip-tie to hold it in place at both ends.
    -Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 11-25-2022 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Thanks guys. Other than taking a look behind the fender liner behind the wheel, I think you're both right about checking
    up higher closer to the drain hole. Well, there's no more warm days ahead for 6 months, so I'll have to figure something out in terms of where and how I do this. Thanks again.