Thread: Secondary hood release not working

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i

Secondary hood release not working

I have a 2001 Z-3 and when getting ready to put it up for the season, suddenly I cannot open the hood. The interior cable release works fine, but when I press the secondary lever the hood will not open. I have tried to use a hook inserted through the grill and pull on the latch, which moves - but not enough to open the hood.

I've read about others grabbing onto and pulling out one of the grills, I'm not sure what would help since the problem is not with the cable. But it's now pretty cold in Maine and I'm concerned about breaking them. I can feel some of the clips through the grill, but not enough to get them to release.

I've done the YouTube and forum searches, but still not found a solution.

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

Jay

My Cars
    z3
    Push "against" the lever, opposite the way you use it to open the hood, in order to bend it down slightly, then try again. If that doesn't work, try pushing down on the hood slightly while pulling the lever.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    The cable releases both latches. It's possible that the drivers side latch opened, but the passenger side didn't.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    The hood pops up when I pull the inside lever, and I can get my hand on the secondary latch. It is that latch that feels like it’s not clearing and allowing the hood to open.

I’ll see if I can bend it as suggested, but it feels pretty solid and not sure how that will go.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    The cable releases both latches. It's possible that the drivers side latch opened, but the passenger side didn't.
    Maybe M Roadsters have two latches but my '99 Z3 has only one. It's on the driver's side of the hood maybe 8 or so inches from the lowest part of the hood. (center)

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I didn't realize that there was a difference. Mine does have two though.
    Screenshot_20221124-002510_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221124-002420_Gallery.jpg

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I didn't realize that there was a difference. Mine does have two though.
    'never doubted you. With that turbo of yours you really need two hood latches!

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Maybe M Roadsters have two latches but my '99 Z3 has only one. It's on the driver's side of the hood maybe 8 or so inches from the lowest part of the hood. (center)
    I'm pretty sure all Z3s are supposed to have two cable-operated latches, one either side, and a central secondary latch. The primary one is the left of the car, which links with a short bowden cable to the right side. Sounds like you may have the right hand side missing.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 5-Speed Rdst
    My 2.3 has only one cable release and one hand latch, both on the driver's side.
    Dave
    A little old couple in a little old car

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Your hood may be slightly out of alignment. My safety latch catches when I try to open but a little flex and it clears and opens.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I had same problem. Yes it may be the secondary latch that may be bent slightly (which can easily be bent back to correct position) but in my case the striker on the hood had unscrewed slightly and only took a simple screwdriver adjustment to fix. I think #11 in the diagram. When you get the hood open look at both strikers and you may find one needs to be adjusted. Normally screwed back in to shorten.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    After you get the hood open see if one of the 2 strikers on the hood needs to be adjusted (#11 in diagram). If the striker is too long (easily shortened with a screwdriver) it will hang up in the latch mechanism and prevent the release. Of course bend back the hand the finger release plate if it got bent trying to open the hood due to the striker being out of adjustment.

My Cars
    z3
    I've never seen any z3 with a single hood latch. Perhaps someone broke it at some point and only reinstalled the main latch back in place?

There should be the hood open lever inside the car and the under hood lever at the main latch to open it once popped, but there is a cable from the main latch to the secondary latch on the other side and when the lever opens the main latch it also pulls the cable to the secondary latch to open it.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3 5-Speed Rdst
    Sim, you are correct. My owner's manual has a lever latch on each side. I'll check in the spring for the other lever latch. It can't be operable if the hood opens. Thanks for the prompt.
    Dave
    A little old couple in a little old car

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
    I had the same problem the inside latch would pop the hook but could not open
    It turn out one of the latches had loosen and unscrewed so when hood was pop it the hood didn't lift high enough for the pin two disengage
    I had to pop the hood reach as best I could with channel locks pliers and managed to turn it enough so that the next time I pop the hood it would pop up high enough to opened
    Once I got it open I tighten up the pins and secured the lock nut haven't had the problem since

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    I've never seen any z3 with a single hood latch. Perhaps someone broke it at some point and only reinstalled the main latch back in place?

There should be the hood open lever inside the car and the under hood lever at the main latch to open it once popped, but there is a cable from the main latch to the secondary latch on the other side and when the lever opens the main latch it also pulls the cable to the secondary latch to open it.
    I went out and checked. There are indeed two "main" spring latches and only one secondary lever latch on the drivers side. 'no sign that anything was removed as the bracket for the passenger side latch has no provision for a secondary lever latch.

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    Ever since the hood cable broke on my M5, I lubricate all latches with silicone spray, door, hood, trunk. Hoods pop and open like new! hope this helps
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinehurstz3 View Post
    After you get the hood open see if one of the 2 strikers on the hood needs to be adjusted (#11 in diagram). If the striker is too long (easily shortened with a screwdriver) it will hang up in the latch mechanism and prevent the release. Of course bend back the hand the finger release plate if it got bent trying to open the hood due to the striker being out of adjustment.
    How did you get the hood open? I have tried to grab it with a hook tool but it still won't release. It feels like it's getting caught on the part of the mechanism that's on the chassis - and it looks too rugged to simply bend the part that's attached to the hood.

And please forgive my ignorance, but where is the diagram you referenced? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geoz3 View Post
    I had the same problem the inside latch would pop the hook but could not open
    My hood pops just fine when I pull the inside lever. It's the next step where I use the lever under the hood on the driver's side to fully release the hood that it doesn't work.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybrad View Post
    How did you get the hood open? I have tried to grab it with a hook tool but it still won't release. It feels like it's getting caught on the part of the mechanism that's on the chassis - and it looks too rugged to simply bend the part that's attached to the hood.

And please forgive my ignorance, but where is the diagram you referenced? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

My hood pops just fine when I pull the inside lever. It's the next step where I use the lever under the hood on the driver's side to fully release the hood that it doesn't work.
    Yes that is what my hood did I could reach the lever under the hood but the pin had unscrewed just enough to allow hood to pop up , when you moved the lever under the hood one pin was catching enough not to let hood open but still pop up so you could reach the lever under the hood
    I had to screw pin back into hood and tighten lock nut against the hood have not had a problem since

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Its a 2 person job. Have someone pull and hold the inside hood release lever while you try to get the hood open. Sometimes this will add just enough clearance in the latch so the catch will clear and the hood can be opened. No guarantee but this worked for me.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    So @Jaybrad what did you end up doing to open the hood?